Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Amanda Knox Conviction Overturned By Italy’s Top Court (GGT)

http://time.com/3761938/amanda-knox-...on-overturned/

The Italian Supreme Court overturned Amanda Knox’s conviction Friday for the 2007 murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher.

Knox and her then-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were convicted as co-conspirators in Kercher’s murder in the apartment they shared as exchange students in Perugia in 2009. But that conviction was overturned in 2011 and in 2014, after prosecutors argued that evidence had been omitted in the appeal, the original guilty verdict was reinstated.

But Italy’s Supreme Court ruled Friday afternoon to finally acquit the American of the long-hanging charges over her. She had faced extradition to Italy if the conviction had been upheld.

A man named Rudy Guede, whose fingerprints and DNA were found at the scene, has already been convicted for the murder and is currently serving a 16-year prison sentence, but prosecutors had argued that Knox and Sollecito were Guede’s accomplices.

7+ Year Old Account
    how many times has this been in court? i recognize this from before

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baptist View Post
    how many times has this been in court? i recognize this from before
    Has been appealed a few times.

Deleted
    Well good for her! (If she's indeed innocent that is, I have no idea)

On a side note: she is absolutely gorgeous

7+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully she's back in the US so they can't just come and yank her back and put her on trial. It's been back and forth so many times, just let the girl get on with her life.
    (Kylan and Xanthe on Avalon, www.avalon-rpg.com, since 1996)

Quote Originally Posted by aryianna View Post
    Thankfully she's back in the US so they can't just come and yank her back and put her on trial. It's been back and forth so many times, just let the girl get on with her life.
    Technically they would request extradition, and the US would be bound to honor it assuming the Italians can show any kind of real evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Feel sorry for Kercher's family. Been dragged on forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Took god damned long enough. That entire investigation was ridiculous with the head detective having that "gut feeling" of his and never considering a different narrative than the one he had already decided upon.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Finally the correct end to this bewildering legal circus. Prosecutors should never be allowed to appeal acquittals.

I'm still trying to figure out how the satanic sex orgy theory, based on nothing more than Knox owning lingerie and a dildo, wasn't laughed out of court. Seriously?

Deleted
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was a political agreement to some extent.

10+ Year Old Account
    So do you basically just cut and paste news shit and start threads? Like, literally without even saying anything? What's the point?
    ill probably be infracted for this post

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    This trial, or rather a series of trials was a huge embarrassment for the Italian justice system and I am glad it is over. Fourth time apparently is the charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

I'm glad it's over. I'm sick of hearing about it. At least she and her family can get on with their lives. And hopefully this will bring some sort of closure for the Kercher family. I know it won't, but at least it's a chance for them to try and start healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    This trial, or rather a series of trials was a huge embarrassment for the Italian justice system and I am glad it is over. Fourth time apparently is the charm.
    Pretty sure the Italian Justice System also tried some geologists for manslaughter for not predicting a volcano or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Pretty sure the Italian Justice System also tried some geologists for manslaughter for not predicting a volcano or something...
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ific-community

There was never any danger of extradition, the US isn't going to honor a kangaroo court verdict after someone has been found innocent of the crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Technically they would request extradition, and the US would be bound to honor it assuming the Italians can show any kind of real evidence.
    I doubt the US would, since it would violate Double Jeopardy if they did. You can't be convicted, found innocent then convicted again for the same thing.

Still, this is good. Now let her get on with her life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or the US could tell Italy to fudge off and that we're not sending one of our own to one of their god awful "prisons" (which are notably worse than American ones) because they want to put on a show trial to make their people feel good that their government is punishing foreigners and not just letting them off easy because tourism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I doubt the US would, since it would violate Double Jeopardy if they did. You can't be convicted, found innocent then convicted again for the same thing.
    In the US justice system, it is quite possible to be re-tried until the prosecutors get the verdict they want in many other countries.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Its not like she was going to go to prison in Italy if it had been a conviction. Of course now she can travel outside of the country without worrying about some Italian police capturing her on vacation. If I was her I still would never go back to Italy.