10+ Year Old Account

PC - Sound recording through headset speakers instead of mic

I'm going crazy. As the title says, my PC is only recording audio through the speaker part of the headset (any headset, even one without a mic) instead of the mic. Whats actually making me crazy here is my lack of findings through google. I've been at this for hours now. I've updated, uninstalled, reinstalled and reconfigured just about anything I could think of. Nothing's even made a dent.

It's not the hardware as it works perfectly fine in my phone, my laptop and in my roomates desktop. Somethings wrong with the settings on my PC and I can't pinpoint what it might be.

Little info that might help - My audio driver is Realtek High Def. I've tried both front and back ports as well as using an external logitech adapter. Same results. Also I dont have a stand alone mic to use, just a couple headsets with single-plug wires.

PS: I've raided for years on this machine. This started after a 6month break where I didn't use my mic at all.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Speakers and microphones are technically the same thing and are actually interchangable. Have you plugged it into the mic socket by mistake? If not it sounds like your sound card/motherboard has a crossed connection. You might try uninstalling/ reinstalling the drivers.

Do the speakers still play sound as well as record? Does the mic produce sound?