View Poll Results: Dark Ranger as the next WoW class?

Voters
216. This poll is closed
  • Yes!

47 21.76%
  • No!

169 78.24%
Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Could Dark Ranger be the next WoW class?

So earlier I made a thread calling for another WoW class to use ranged weapons. I think I found a worthy candidate:

What do you guys think? Certainly a popular character class, and we need another ranged class that wears mail. Also her HotS moves were very original, yet very different from the Hunter class.

So, could Dark Rangers be the next WoW class? Also, if they are the next class, would you play one?

Deleted
    Isn't this basically just hunter without a pet (or do you plan to give it one) and a "shadow" instead of "beast" theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Isn't this basically just hunter without a pet (or do you plan to give it one) and a "shadow" instead of "beast" theme?
    Well there's that, and WoW opens up the possibility of a melee spec.

15+ Year Old Account
    no. dark rangers are rangers who died and were raised as undead, currently only the forsaken have dark rangers as the elite guards/agents of Sylvanas.

a ranger would be a more likely candidate but even that theme is currently filled by marksman hunters.

that's a hunter talent now

Deleted
    I think they're too similar to hunters tbh, I'd rather not have a second bow/xbox/gun using class at all tbh, it's an archetype that is used up by the hunter class quite well I think.

I'd rather see a demon hunter class with a ranged specialization than a whole class using bows/etc. So this could totally be a spec but not an entire class imo.

It depends on the theme of the next expansion really.

If they have a new class and the expansion is about the Burning Legion it's a safe bet we'll get Demon Hunters.

That being said if we ever do an expansion where Sylvannas stars there would a strong possibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no, the Dark Ranger's abilities are either:

-Already used by Hunters (Black Arrow)
    -Already used by Warlocks (Life Drain)
    -Already used by Priests (Charm [Dominate Will])

Or, in the case of Silence, very broad and not enough to flesh out a class with.

And unlike Demon Hunters, which have a very solid theme to work around, despite other classes having their abilities, Dark Rangers do not. It would essentially just be a petless Survival Hunter with more shadow damage. Really, even moving out to a more broad-scope, the ranger class overlaps too heavily with Hunters.

Furthermore, lorewise, Dark Rangers are Forsaken only. There's no real "lore bending" that would result in both a still-respectable story, and the Dark Ranger class opening up to other races.

7+ Year Old Account
    Lorewise, my favorite 2 characters have been Sylvanas and Illidan since WC3. I would love to have either Demon Hunter or Dark Ranger classes, but it just wont happen. Their iconic abilities are rolled into Warlocks and Rogues (DH) or Warlocks and Hunters (DR).

Also, we don't actually NEED another Ranged class just because only Hunters use bows/guns. Don't forget that only Rogues use daggers. Ideally a new class would be a ranged mail wearer that uses bows to shoot or daggers to throw, I suppose, but there is no lore to support that kind of class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyzawolf View Post
    Lorewise, my favorite 2 characters have been Sylvanas and Illidan since WC3. I would love to have either Demon Hunter or Dark Ranger classes, but it just wont happen. Their iconic abilities are rolled into Warlocks and Rogues (DH) or Warlocks and Hunters (DR).

Also, we don't actually NEED another Ranged class just because only Hunters use bows/guns. Don't forget that only Rogues use daggers. Ideally a new class would be a ranged mail wearer that uses bows to shoot or daggers to throw, I suppose, but there is no lore to support that kind of class.
    With Blizz never say never, granted it was only one ability but Warlocks used to have Deathcoil and it's now a DK ability...now I don't see it happening with Dark Ranger it would be cool to see a Demon Hunter...then again I'm kinda biased as I prefer melee :P

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Yeah, no, the Dark Ranger's abilities are either:

-Already used by Hunters (Black Arrow)
    -Already used by Warlocks (Life Drain)
    -Already used by Priests (Charm [Dominate Will])

Or, in the case of Silence, very broad and not enough to flesh out a class with.

And unlike Demon Hunters, which have a very solid theme to work around, despite other classes having their abilities, Dark Rangers do not. It would essentially just be a petless Survival Hunter with more shadow damage. Really, even moving out to a more broad-scope, the ranger class overlaps too heavily with Hunters.

Furthermore, lorewise, Dark Rangers are Forsaken only. There's no real "lore bending" that would result in both a still-respectable story, and the Dark Ranger class opening up to other races.
    How is dark ranger unable to be fleshed out...
    I can say Demon hunter is just a melee warlock
    Demon hunter overlaps too heavily with warlocks

And really they cant bend the lore to make dark rangers not have to be dead?
    Tauren paladins dont make sense but they did it anyways.
    Goblin shamans?
    deathknights were scourge only and were paladins that died and were revived.
    Demon hunters were night elf only anyways until they decided blood elf ones were ok and made leotheras.

basically blizzard can do what they want and trying to say something cant be done because lore wouldnt make sense or cause abilities overlap is BS.

Demon hunter
    Metamorphasis - warlock
    evasion - rogue
    mana burn - priest (taken out)
    immolation aura - warlock

? nothing is very nothing and not enough to flesh out a class with. yet demon hunters are very solid...?

i dont really care i just dont understand why people keep saying dark rangers would be a petless hunter with shadow damage yet ignore things like Destruction warlocks being a firemage with a pet... I mean they are both cloth casters that mainly use fire damage right?..

rogues are basically monks but with stealth...

and speaking of monks. Look what they did with brewmaster from WC3. Im 100% sure nobody would have guessed the monk class would have a healer spec called mistweaver and shoots mist at people because that totally had anything to do with wc3 brewmasters. and brewmasters obviously were not "fleshed out" until wow.
    Last edited by birdyy; 2015-03-28 at 07:03 AM.

No.

I don't think we'll see any class that is exclusively tied to an existing race. Why would the undead teach alliance races to be dark rangers? Doesn't really make sense.

I would like to see some of these race specific classes being represented. Like having undead hunters have a very dark ranger feel to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by birdyy View Post
    A Magic-based, Dual-wielding melee class is actually currently closest to an enhancement shaman. Thematically a Demon Hunter overlaps with warlocks; however, Priests overlap with Paladins.

What it boils down to, is that a "Melee Warlock" is something we don't actually have in the game. The concept of a Demon Hunter has been fleshed out enough to allow differentiation between it and a warlock.

Conversely, a Dark Ranger is literally just a Survival hunter without a pet, and with a little more shadow damage. Yes, there is a fleshed out theme; however, it's not different enough from hunters to justify it being it's own class.

Goblin shamans?
    Demon hunters were night elf only anyways until they decided blood elf ones were ok and made leotheras.

basically blizzard can do what they want and trying to say something cant be done because lore wouldnt make sense or cause abilities overlap is BS.
    Tauren Paladins and Goblin Shamans were an effort to bring more racial diversity to existing classes, it's an apples and oranges scenario. Demon Hunters aren't a class, so that's irrelevant. In regards to Death Knights, they weren't actually always fallen Paladins. According to Warcraft III

The rest are primarily made up of other fallen warriors or paladins whose souls were twisted and bound to the will of the Frozen Throne.
    And unlike Death Knights, where their class really had nothing to do with their race, Dark Rangers are inherently tied to the Forsaken. It's like asking to be a Human Grom Hellscream.

Demon hunter
    Metamorphasis - warlock
    evasion - rogue

? nothing is very nothing and not enough to flesh out a class with. yet demon hunters are very solid...?
    See the response to the first part of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by birdyy View Post

Goblin shamans?

Demon hunter
    Metamorphasis - warlock
    evasion - rogue

i dont really care i just dont understand why people keep saying dark rangers would be a petless hunter with shadow damage yet ignore things like Destruction warlocks being a firemage with a pet... I mean they are both cloth casters that mainly use fire damage right?..

rogues are basically monks but with stealth...

and speaking of monks. Look what they did with brewmaster from WC3. Im 100% sure nobody would have guessed the monk class would have a healer spec called mistweaver and shoots mist at people because that totally had anything to do with wc3 brewmasters. and brewmasters obviously were not "fleshed out" until wow.
    For Goblin Shamans, you have to understand that Goblins are pretty good at negotiations. They dont ask elementals for help, they "use" then. They make contracts with then, thats why you have Goblin Shamans. It's not that they have a connection to the spirits, they have a contract with then.

Tauren Paladin, read about the Sunwalkers..

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it'll be before Demon Hunters and/or Tinkers but I think Dark Ranger's are a viable class. And no I don't mean the existing parts of Dark Rangers, I mean an expansion upon the core of the Dark Ranger, in particular an occult hunter (the same way a paladin is a holy warrior). I'd throw in elements of Gothic Horror to try and elevate the class to the Inquistor archetype.

Probs would be better to add that as a spec for hunters instead of creating a whole new class around it imo

Deleted
    While I'd certainly enjoy playing one, I don't think it's the one we'll get. First of all, as people have said, it's fairly tied to the Forsaken. Second, assuming we'll get either a Burning Legion or Azshara-oriented expansion next, I don't fully see how the Dark Ranger would be introduced. As you know, previous class additions have made sense with the lore of the expansion in which they were introduced.

I do want another ranged class though. Something focusing on throwing axes and spears would be awesome. Some kind of tide hunter, inspired by the sea? Buccaneer?

But hey, who knows. Alleria and Turalyon are yet to return. Perhaps this time around we'll see another mutated Windrunner sister. Demon huntress in the literal sense?

they could add any class anyone wants as long as demon hunter is one of them

As much as I hate to say this, Demon Hunter is coming. Its too popular and people love him since wc3. Its only a matter of time =/

Quote Originally Posted by BedlamBros View Post
    So earlier I made a thread calling for another WoW class to use ranged weapons. I think I found a worthy candidate:

What do you guys think?
    So... It's a hunter open for forsaken, and... what else is there? Not seeing the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    As much as I hate to say this, Demon Hunter is coming. Its too popular and people love him since wc3. Its only a matter of time =/
    Hunter class already have "track demons" ability and lv100 talent that lets them have no pet. Do you perhaps also want elemental hunter and beast hunter and undead hunter and dragon hunter for all different track abilities while we're at it?