Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a developer, I find that I often find myself branching out into genre's that I'm not familiar with. Especially indie games with new mechanics or concepts. I can't think of a specific game that has swayed my choices in the past, as I've been interested in pretty much most types of games, except sportsball.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I would say my tastes over time have impacted the games I play more then anything else. I grew up on Super Mario Brothers and other such side scrolling games. I mean my days with the PS and N64 were pretty odd as the games I played were all over the place, but that was probably due to a greater variety of game releases. More modern stuff for example I suck at FPS games, but I really enjoyed Destiny on the PS4.

The odd thing about Legend of Zelda games for me (the modern stuff so OoT onward) is the experience is always amazing and never reproducible in other games. The fun of OoT, Majora's Mask, etc were never matched by another game except maybe another Zelda game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogue.

I used to play the hell out of this back in the mid 80s. I of course moved on to games with fancy things like, y'know, graphics but this game always stuck in my mind as one of my first forays into gaming. Fast forward to today and games like Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Nuclear Throne (and even some classics from my youth that I did not realize were heavily Rogue influenced like Toe Jam and Earl) are all some of my favorite games, and I am always on the lookout for the next classic RogueLite or RogueLike.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Spyro/Oblivion/WoW/Tales games/Jade Cocoon
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now come to think of it the classic mmo's i loved to play were ragnarok online (played since its inception up to competitive level, oved it until adv classes came up) and tibia, that pvp was so freaking basic yet so heart breakingly cool
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Final Fantasy 2 (US version of Final Fantasy 4) was the game that sparked my love for RPGs. I was around 8-9 at the time, and I gave it a shot when my older brother rented it (this was in the mid-to-early 90s, when Blockbusters-style rental stores were still a thing).
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-03-29 at 03:52 PM.

I'd say Megaman 2, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy and Tetris. After my NES days I craved games with good level design, great visuals and music, and Tetris and Final Fantasy (yes, the first one; I'm old-ish) gave me a love of challenge and strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    Legends of Terris was a MUD back in the mid 90's where your only choice for internet was AOL. It changed the course of my life, IMO - I discovered online video games and never went back.
    Oh man, this is what PernMUSH was for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Original Doom. I remember watching my dad play it for a couple hours every few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic

Before this game, I thought games were all about gameplay, with some primitive plot to justify the action that doesn't really matter in itself. In 2004, I heard that KotoR was the best RPG of 2003, and also the best Star Wars game ever made (and I loved Star Wars). I bought the game, started playing it and almost quit 20 minutes in due to horrendous combat and the fact that the game lagged badly on my outdated PC even on lowest settings. So glad I persevered and decided to try to get into the game. Half way into Taris, essentially the prologue - and I was hooked forever. To this day, Bioware is my favorite game developer, I play all their single player games. And I simply cannot play games without a compelling plot and lore any more.

Other mentions: Lemmings (made me love puzzle games), Doom (brought me into FPS genre), Age of Empires (although I'd played Dune 2/2000 and Warcraft 2 before, it was this game that made me play RTS regularly), Warcraft 3 (that's when I became interested in modding and content creation), Mass Effect (I fell in love with sci-fi after it), The Witcher series (I was so amazed by the plot, it actually inspired me to start writing my own fantasy book) and Starcraft 2 (taught me how to become better at games, how to approach them intellectually and analytically).
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ultima 6 is the RPG that I most like to play games that are similar to.

Deleted
    Guild Wars 1.

Tetris was the first videogame i have ever played - i think that was the combination of possible infinity-long and repetitive task that made me love the it immensely. Then i went over RPGs like Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale and FF from 4 to 6, and learned to love the story of these games.

Still, was D2 that made my choice very definite - mix of action combat and repetitive task. I seriously just love farming; couldn't care less about competition, bragging rights, world first or PvP i just need to spend years over the same game doing the same task and in the end stand over the massive amount of demon/enemy/whatever cadavers i've piled up.

There are some games that i enjoy (Darksiders, Elder Scrolls) but definitely a game that doesn't keep me occupied at very least 100 hours will always take a lower place (personal opionion, not referred to the actual game quality).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    final fantasy 6
    dat 8 bit turn based rpg feels yo
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Final Fantasy X. Blew my mind when I first saw the trailer about some random guys jumping into the sky, grinding on a harpoon rope the length of a football field. It changed me how epic that scene was. Before that I played platformers and action, but that never really did much to me. The RPG genre completely changed me. Immediately afterward I knew I loved story, good dialogue, character development, music to set the tone, dramatic moments, etc in games. I started seeing games as another reflection of my life, other than something mindless I would do after school mashing buttons.

X is to me as Zelda or Mario or Doom or Mega Man is to the rest of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy VIII. I had never played a RPG before, I remember watching my mum play, she was a huge FF fan. She had gotten stuck on a puzzle (at Rinoa's dad's house), I decided to give it a try, instantly fell in love. If it hadn't been for that game I probably would never had gotten into RPGs, I liked action games (Tomb Raider), Mario games, and racing. That definitely got me into the fantasy genre, which eventually led to WoW and a whole lot of other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Secret of Evermore and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    final fantasy 6
    dat 8 bit turn based rpg feels yo

Sorry to nit pick, but FF6 was 16 bit since it was released on SNES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Final Fantasy 7 probably got me hooked on RPG's in general. If I had to go back farther than that, probably Gauntlet was a big influence on my enjoyment of the typical wizard/warrior/elf dungeon combo sort of thing.

Asheron's Call got me into MMO's (despite not find anything since then that was quite as good)

Doom II for the FPS genre.. this game pretty much scared the crap out of me.

I'm not sure what game started it in the arcade era, but I'm always a sucker for a top-down shooter ala Xevious, even though I don't play that many of them these days.

I think the first Gran Turismo got me more or less hooked on racing sims as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Morrowind got me into RPGs, EQ2 got me into MMOs, and then Mass Effect got me into Bioware titles, and FPS to an extent. I had a phase where I was obsessed with FPS shortly after mass effect but I wouldn't really say I'm a fan of the genre. I'll try just about any of Bioware's titles. Not every game is a grand slam but they know how to tell a damn good story.
    "Always wash your berries before you eat them...And fly towards the sun!"

King's Quest, then Quest for Glory. Those were my first two graphical video games, back in the early 90s and they set me on the path of PC gaming for life. I enjoy a console game, but a PC RPG will always catch my interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first game I ever played was Twisted Metal for the Playstation 1. It was an alright game.

The game that fueled my love for video games was Grand Theft Auto Vice City. Not the most awesome game, but at the time, the huge open world and somewhat interesting story really got to me. It showed me the potential of what games could be.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Need for Speed Underground and Pokemon Red/Blue were the most influential games for me that spearheaded my love for video games.