Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me with a video editing build *NOT GAMING*

I have a very nice gaming PC, and that's great. But it really sucks when it comes to video editing. I'm looking for a new build, specifically for video editing using things like Adobe Premier, Sony Vegas, possibly Lightworks, and Final Cut.

I don't need any peripherals, just the PC itself. This will be a new build, no reused parts, as I am keeping my gaming PC for gaming. I WILL NOT BE PLAYING ANY VIDEO GAMES ON THIS RIG. It is PURELY for editing/rendering purposes. Thank you! I'll continue to use my 1080 monitor.

At the moment budget doesn't matter, but don't get absurd. I'm not gonna pay like 2.5k or something crazy like that. I just want what I need to get the job done, preferably as cheap as possible, but not "cheap".

Things I'm looking for: at least 500GB worth of SSD, because video rendering on HDD's is much slower. The video in question will be 1080 resolution.
    Last edited by ThatFilmGuy; 2015-03-28 at 05:17 PM.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-build-Read-me!

Also, you need to give us a budget. A $500 rig will be nowhere remotely close to a $2,000 rig, especially when considering core count and GPU acceleration while rendering.

EDIT: If you have a "very nice" gaming rig, it should be able to handle rendering with relative ease, what type of processor is in it?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Are you sure your current PC isn't good enough? It sounds like you didn't even try yet, since I don't know why you'd use both Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas at the same time (one of those will do just fine), and Final Cut Pro is for the Macintosh.

If this is the case, I'd suggest doing some editing first and seeing what you're actually lacking before deciding on buying a whole new PC for it.

No, I tried. I have a GTX 980, i5 4690K OC'd, and 32GB of RAM, but when attempting to render in the preview windows, it's like a slide show. Something is bottlenecking, but I don't know what. When importing and dragging video it just REALLY struggles and barely chugs along, all the while getting 120 FPS in Far Cry 3. Many people have told me it's my CPU, and that I need an i7 hexacore, but I'm like, lawl. That seems a bit overkill to me. I don't think Macs have hexacore processors and they can mysteriously do stuff like this with ease.

Also, you can use Final Cut Pro on the PC lol. It's pretty easy workaround, and it's a useful resource. Also, some video codecs on certain camcorders are only usable in Sony Vegas, IE Sony's own camcorders, sadly.

Glo, if you read my OP, I literally gave you all of that information lol. Just read.
    Last edited by ThatFilmGuy; 2015-03-28 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFilmGuy View Post
    No, I tried. I have a GTX 980, i5 4690K OC'd, and 32GB of RAM, but when attempting to render in the preview windows, it's like a slide show. Something is bottlenecking, but I don't know what. When importing and dragging video it just REALLY struggles and barely chugs along, all the while getting 120 FPS in Far Cry 3. Many people have told me it's my CPU, and that I need an i7 hexacore, but I'm like, lawl. That seems a bit overkill to me. I don't think Macs have hexacore processors and they can mysteriously do stuff like this with ease.
    If you're previewing a render in real-time, it will always be a slideshow unless you're rocking something like one of those 18 core Xeons, the video will always outpace your render speed. That said, GPU acceleration can help in heaps, but only certain software will make use of Nvidia's compute. Vegas Pro comes to mind, but you'll be dropping $500 alone for it.

KEEP IN MIND, if you're using Vegas Pro and not seeing acceptable results even if you have GPU acceleration enabled, pirated versions aren't really going to have updated support for newer cards. Not saying that you're using pirated software, but let's get real, people new to video editing aren't really dropping half a grand on software out of nowhere.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Vegas Movie Studio 11 or higher supports AMD and nVidia GPU encoding IIRC, and that is less than 100 dollars.

Lol, well Sony Vegas *thank God* won't be my primary video editing software, as it sucks, bad.

Guys, I'm just seeking advice on a new build for hardware that will be good enough to do fluid 1080 video editing. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Vegas Movie Studio 11 or higher supports AMD and nVidia GPU encoding IIRC, and that is less than 100 dollars.
    That, I didn't know. <.<

Guys, I'm just seeking advice on a new build for hardware that will be good enough to do fluid 1080 video editing. Thank you.
    Well, you still need to answer:

Include the following information when posting a request.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

build pics

I am in the US, California. I do not have a micro PC center near me.

As stated in the OP for budget, what's necessary to get the job done.

Yes, I need an OS.

As stated in the OP, no, I do not need peripherals.

I am in the US, California. I do not have a micro PC center near me.

As stated in the OP for budget, what's necessary to get the job done.

Yes, I need an OS.

As stated in the OP, no, I do not need peripherals.
    Again...

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Also, you need to give us a budget. A $500 rig will be nowhere remotely close to a $2,000 rig, especially when considering core count and GPU acceleration while rendering.
    Also, you never stated that you didn't need peripherals, just that you would be using a 1080p display that you already own.

Making us pry information out of you instead of following the rules is not a good way to efficiently get help here.

build pics

Brother, the first sentence in the second paragraph of my OP states "I don't need any peripherals, just the PC itself." I really don't know what else to say. You're not properly reading my OP.

Also, I really don't understand why "Whatever is required to get the job done" is confusing to you o.O it's pretty self explanatory, it seems

"Getting the job done", in this instance, is set as a baseline standard, meaning whatever is REQUIRED to get the JOB DONE, IE, that's the quality line, that's what I'll buy.

You're attempting to make it seem like I'm acting like an ass when you're just not listening to me, OR reading.
    Last edited by ThatFilmGuy; 2015-03-28 at 05:49 PM.

Brother, the first sentence in the second paragraph of my OP states "I don't need any peripherals, just the PC itself."

Also, I really don't understand why "Whatever is required to get the job done" is confusing to you o.O it's pretty self explanatory, it seems

"Getting the job done", in this instance, is set as a baseline standard, meaning whatever is REQUIRED to get the JOB DONE, IE, that's the quality line, that's what I'll buy.
    Sorry that I wasn't following your ninja edits after I pointed it out:

Last edited by ThatFilmGuy; Today at 05:17 PM
    This is the last post I'm making in this thread since you're being combative and refuse to give people that platform to help you, yet I will try to make it abundantly clear:

"Get the job done" is not descriptive enough for us to help you. A $200 eMachine will "get the job done". Is that what you want? Are we magically supposed to read your mind for your personal price/performance sweet spot? The more money you spend, the more rendering performance you will get. Give us a budget, nobody is going to play guessing games and waste their time.

build pics

Uh, no, lol. That was in there literally the first time I posted. The edit I did was almost an hour ago. It's 51 now, not 17. I'm sorry but you're just being stubborn. The only persons time you're wasting is mine, because that's been in there since the OP was made and you just didn't see it.
    Last edited by ThatFilmGuy; 2015-03-28 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't run final cut on Windows. Like, really. You could hackintosch but that is another matter.

I suspect this is more of a matter of knowing how to handle your material than it is that your current pc "can't handle it". Research into proxy and offline editing if you want an exceptionally fast editing experience. Or simply review what codecs you are using as default.

An i7 or i7 hexacore is of course better, but an i5 quad should certainly do a decent job.

Deleted
    Well if you want significantly better than what you got, then expect a 2k-2.5k rig.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING 5 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($263.95 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($362.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($186.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($326.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $2043.79
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-28 14:04 EDT-0400

It's extremely disheartening the attitude exuded by most of the members of this forum, extreme elitism and ego goes hand in hand with almost every single post made here. You people are miserable, and I feel sorry for you. =/

Thank you, Kostatto, for the first sensible post in this thread.

It's extremely disheartening the attitude exuded by most of the members of this forum, extreme elitism and ego goes hand in hand with almost every single post made here. You people are miserable, and I feel sorry for you. =/
    People aren't going to be happy about helping you when you repeatedly refuse to provide simple information. Nor are they going to be happy to help you when you start using lines like this when previous posts from others showed no hostility:

Glo, if you read my OP, I literally gave you all of that information lol. Just read.
    Funny part is, even at that point you still didn't provide the requested information.

build pics

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($1001.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($716.97 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: CoolMax 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $3971.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-28 14:14 EDT-0400

This is almost the same build i have for video rendering

Reason for 2x 850 250 is i use one as a stratch disk
    Last edited by markie10101; 2015-03-28 at 06:15 PM.

In your opinion, is the Titan necessary, or would a 980 do the job without any real loss of performance when editing?

10+ Year Old Account

Thank you, Kostatto, for the first sensible post in this thread.
    It just looks like you really haven't done your research into what was bottlenecking your editing and we're trying to help you not to waste money on ridiculous things like "SSD video scratch disk" for 1080p. As long as project files and source footage is backups, there is arguable little harm to have a raid-0 of normal hard-drives as a scratch disk, enjoying both speed and increased GB per dollar.

But, sure. For all means. Your money, spend as you please. I'm sitting with years and years of TV post production experience and I'm sure other enthusiasts on these boards have some extensive knowledge of editing too.

As a final advise, I'd suggest you make a thread on the creativecow-forums about your performance issues, including info such as what camera(/software) footage you're using, what software you have had these issues in and what codecs you've been rendering in. Knowing how to handle your material makes all the difference.