10+ Year Old Account

I need help choosing a new GPU

Hello, its that time again, I need a new graphics card. I have a 660ti, I have a $400 CAD budget, in other words I need the graphics card to be able to be shipped to Canada, the $400 price figure should include tax pricing / shipping cost, tax in Canada is 13%.
    As it stands right now I have:
    i5 4690k
    16 gigs of ram
    660ti

Deleted
    Prices on gpu's are volatile, you are basically looking at either the r9 290 or a 970gtx, pick a flavour. The 970 uses a lot less power/requires less beefy psu, but will not perform as well for 3dCAD. The 970 may well outperform the r9 290 in games (different optimisations in different game engines).

ed - or a wait a few months and get a 980 which should give best of both worlds.

660ti is strong.

anything below 970 will be a waste of money and would not provide significant improvement over your current build. Personally i see no point choosing 290 due to massive difference in power consumption. On the other hand both 290 and 970 will probably cause audible coil whine - if you sensitive to that, then, no luck for you in this generation.

I'd wait for the new AMD cards to come out and see where they sit on the graph.

Deleted
    On CAD cards a big crux is memory and gpu/memory bandwidth, particularly if you go to QHD. ATI cards generally outperform nvidia cards with the same memory; where they are otherwise similar on speed. Either card will be a reasonable improvement, but moore's law is strong in gpu's and something better is always just around the corner.

Deleted
    What is up with you and cad? Op means, CAD as in Canadian Dollars not the damn software!!!!

Op get another 20 and get the MSI Twin Frozr 970. You should tell us what exactly our psu is tho so we know it can handle it.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-03-29 at 02:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    What is up with you and cad? Op means, CAD as in Canadian Dollars not the damn software!!!!

Op get another 20 and get the MSI Twin Frozr 970. You should tell us what exactly our psu is tho so we know it can handle it.
    Lmao, thanks for pointing out. Nvidia it is then

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright guys, thanks for the post, I think ill be getting the 970

Good choice. Your power supply should be fine, the 970 has a 5W lower TDP than the 660 Ti, unless it's an old off-brand unit in which case I'd slate it for replacement soon anyway.
    Super casual.