Looking for a Little Help :)

Hi All, I'm relatively new to Resto Shaman healing but I seemed to have done pretty well until now (Mythic). Would anyone be willing to take a look at some logs and let me know what I can do differently. I appreciate any constructive criticism anyone has to offer. I love this class and healing so I'd like to talk to some experienced Resto Shaman. Thanks in advance!

It might help if you actually link the logs?
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    It might help if you actually link the logs?
    Since this was my first post the sight wouldn't allow me to add links.

"You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times"

10+ Year Old Account
    add it like this then:

www dot google dot com
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    add it like this then:

www dot google dot com
    O.o
    www warcraftlogs com/reports/aYKTcRmyXdFkMB79#type=summary
    us battle net/wow/en/character/illidan/Ep%C3%B8s/advanced
    Last edited by eP0S; 2015-03-29 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eP0S View Post
    O.o
    www warcraftlogs com/reports/aYKTcRmyXdFkMB79#type=summary
    us battle net/wow/en/character/illidan/Ep%C3%B8s/advanced
    Clickable links: Logs, Armory.

I'll have a look at it later today.

The biggest problem is almost always not enough riptide usage, and this doesn't seem to be any different. Learn to use it on cd, speccing into echo can greatly simplify this. More riptide (on good targets) means more potential 25% bonus chain heal targets and more bounces for high tide. Not only that, but it is an incredibly mana efficient spell.

You also seem to be using way too many surges. Look to turn most of those into waves whenever it won't get someone killed. Beastlord does have a lot of potential single target healing to do, so continue to use wave as filler. Also, make sure to keep earth shield on one of the tanks. It is free healing (note that it also increases healing done to the tank).

Your tide usage is good, your ascendance not so much. Assuming your cooldowns are assigned, there's not much you can improve there. You may look to have your ascendance taken out of the cooldown rotation as it does not seem necessary anyway (this will allow you to keep it as a "reserve" cd).

Your healing rain usage seems good.

Your chain heal numbers are low. This is partly because of poor riptide usage, but you also need to be using it whenever there is any AoE healing to do. The 4pc will help eventually, but is not necessary. Dropping your number of surge usages will greatly increase the number of chain heals you can throw out. For beastlord, it may be beneficial to glyph chaining depending on how spread out your group plays.

Your top heal is hst, but you are still missing a large number of uses. You should have roughly 2 per minute (slightly less with unlucky tide timing). Your 10 minute attempts need 18-20 uses (~30% more than you were doing).

Use mana pots. If you want a good time to channel, do it during dragon before he dismounts right after a pin goes out (the most healing intense thing at this time is dispelling conflags).

If you aren't already using it, I'd get weakauras and set up some trackers for riptide cd, hst, ele blast, and earth shield at the very least.
    Last edited by freddy090909; 2015-03-30 at 07:42 AM.

Looking at the logs, there are a few cooldown-related oddities worth noting:

- You're using the Call of the Elements talent, but you don't actually use it, at all. This is especially notable since you're playing as if you had Totemic Persistence, and on Darmac you lost out on Healing Tides because you replaced them with Healing Streams. Either actually use CotE (early and often), or switch to Totemic Persistence. And if you don't go with Persistence, be much more careful with your water totems: replacing a Tide with a Stream is the kind of mistake that can easily cause an immediate wipe.

- You're overlapping your Ascendances and Healing Tides. Asc doesn't duplicate the healing done by totems, so there's no benefit to doing so. On the contrary; due to mastery and overhealing, you really don't want to use them at the same time. You want people to be at low health when you use Ascendance so that you get maximum benefit from mastery during those 15 seconds of +100% healing. The same thing goes for Healing Tide Totem. Using them together makes both cooldowns much weaker.

- You're not using Asc or HTT nearly as much as you could be. On Darmac, you're frequently not using them at all during the first five minutes of the fight, when you could be using them and still have them off cooldown for later. Even after that, you frequently save them for 4-5 minutes before using them again, which is a lot of wasted potential. If you're using cooldown assignments, tell whoever is doing those assignments to put things to use more. If you're saving them for emergencies, not overlapping them gives you more freedom to use one and save the other. Make sure to coordinate with other healers so you're not all saving cooldowns for when things go bad, or that restraint will make things go bad.

Looking at the buffs tab, there's also a lot of room for improvement:

- Riptide uptime is low. It should be 100% x3. It's pretty much our best spell, and should always be on cooldown. Both for the healing and the High Tide synergies.
    - Healing Stream Totem uptime is okay, but can be better. You're mostly using it on cooldown, but you sometimes save/forget it for more than a minute.
    - Earth Shield uptime needs a lot of work. It should be 100%. Refresh it before it expires. Useful thing to cast while moving.
    - Elemental Blast use is inconsistent. Like HST, you're mostly using it on cooldown but then suddenly don't. That's normal, but not for over two minutes at a time. See wipes 6 and 9 in particular.

Other than that, just what freddy090909 said. Less Healing Surge, more Riptide.

I really appreciate all of the help, It looks like I have some work to do! I feel a lot more confident in fixing the issues. For some reason I seem to have gotten some wires crossed in developing a really bad habit of using Ascendance in addition to HTT >.> I did some checking yesterday and found this : "Try to use Healing Rain Healing Rain exactly before you use Ascendance. When Healing Rain runs out, it is only worth refreshing (while Ascendance is still active) if you have Ancestral Swiftness Icon Ancestral Swiftness available (to make Healing Rain Icon Healing Rain an instant cast ("Restoration Shaman Healing Rotation, Cooldowns, And Abilities (wod 6.1)", 2015). So I think I have that covered. Honestly I don't have a legitimate reason for combining the two abilities in the first place , so again thank you for addressing that issue. In addition, I'm going to try Totemic Persistence and getting better at using riptide/Healing wave over the next week and try to break some bad habits. Ill follow up at a later date to see what you guys think. Thank you both very much for taking the time out of your day to respond.

Kind Regards,
    Epøs-Illidan

Restoration Shaman Healing Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities (WoD 6.1). (2015)

. Retrieved from www icy-veins com/wow/restoration-shaman-pve-healing-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

Hi again so here is a recent log on a mythic kill. I'm Still having trouble apparently although I feel more confident about cooldown usage, i'm still the low man on the totem poll. I did have the pleasure of raiding with a great guild and upgrading a few pieces but fell 1 short of my 4 piece. If you have time to take a look hopefully I can continue to improve.
    www warcraftlogs com/reports/jrtBc6Ch1XpqWvZL#type=healing&comparesearchplayer=21&fight=6&source=21

You used 29 riptides in a 9 minute fight. That's completely unacceptable. Riptide substantially buffs your chain heal, while being extremely efficient. There is no reason to not be using it on cooldown (especially considering you're running echo). This is a big deal, use more riptides or there is no way to help you.

You went oom extremely early in the fight (5 mins). You need to manage your spells better (chain heal is not your only spell) and get a better feel for using ele blast on CD. Also, you should be using a channeled mana potion instead of a flat pot on beastlord.

You died to melees during the most important phase. Hunters need to be misdirecting the beasts to the tanks, there's not much you could have done about that.

You missed 4 potential healing streams during the time you were alive. Missing 1 or 2 would be reasonable, depending on fight length and tide timing.

You pretty much used no single target heals throughout the entire fight. You need to be filling time with healing waves instead of chain heal (unless you will be able to hit a large number of players with the chain), especially considering you do not have the 4pc yet. Your earth shield uptime was also much lower than it should have been. By not using any single target spells, you're completely ignoring the tidal waves buff. You should try swapping in glyph of chaining to force more of a "rotational" usage of chain heal, until you get better at managing your mana.

Thank you I appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by eP0S; 2015-04-05 at 03:42 PM.

I second what Freddy090909 said about Riptide: you really need to use it more. It matters more than you think. For example, during your second Ascendance during the kill you didn't have any Riptides up. That not only miss that you lose out on +100% healing on those HoTs, but it also means that you had zero High Tide synergies during that Ascendance, and your Chain Heals were fairly undimpressive as a result. The end result is that you got less than 300k healing from that Ascendance, despite spamming Chain Heal for the entire duration. Twice that should be very doable.

Your Healing Stream Totem uptime could also be higher (it's more healing per cast time than almost anything else, so using it more will improve your HPS). Earth Shield uptime is pretty poor; even if you don't bother with perfect uptime, you should at least cast it before the pull. You're missing out on that +20% healing taken buff, which applies to stuff like HST, HR, HTT and Asc, not just direct heals. Your uptime on the Elemental Blast spirit buff was also quite low, which is likely a big part of why you ran out of mana early: your spirit buff uptime was 22% while the other shaman managed 35%

While your cooldown use has improved, your Healing Tide Totems did 73% overhealing. That's not just 73% of their potential being lost due to bad timing, but also the +58% they could have gotten from your mastery. Taken together, that means your Healing Tide Totems only lived up to 17% of their true potential. While it's unrealistic to expect to get any "perfect" HTTs, it's worth noting that there's a ton of room for improvement here. The other shaman did twice as much healing with the same number of casts.

I disagree about Glyph of Chaining, though. The other shaman had an acceptable number of players hit with each CH, so there's not that much to be gained from increasing the jump range.

Agree 100% I noticed during the encounters that my cooldowns seem extremely weak, which you pointed out quicky. I have been looking at these logs since I made this post actually and i am still trying to pin point all of the differences between myself and the other shaman. I noticed too that i became pretty consumed with tunneling on the meters too so i think i need to relax, for the sake of conversation, would you mind elaborating on this "but also the +58% they could have gotten from your mastery"

I have adjusted my rotation to help with Elemental blast and added some timers for riptide and earth shield in the interim. There is such a big difference between the other shamans heals and mine for example, 96 chain heal casts vs my 57....

Also are there any healing addons I could use to help? I'M using totemtimers, and ELVUI, but nothing else healing Specific.
    Last edited by eP0S; 2015-04-06 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added info

for the sake of conversation, would you mind elaborating on this "but also the +58% they could have gotten from your mastery"
    According to the armory, you had 58% mastery at the time, so I used that number. The point was that if your HTT overheals by X, that's overhealing done to targets with full health, meaning with zero benefit from mastery. If you want to find out how much that HTT could have healed for, you need to factor in mastery. 1M healing done to people with full health could have been 1.5M healing done to people at low health, had you timed it better. Of course, it's not always possible to avoid overhealing, and people tend to regain health pretty quickly during HTT so that only the first ticks get full benefits from mastery, but I figure it's still worth being aware of just how good HTT can be when used under ideal circumstances.

Also are there any healing addons I could use to help? I'M using totemtimers, and ELVUI, but nothing else healing Specific.
    Aside from Vuhdo for raid frames and Exorsis to track other healers' cooldowns, the only healing-related addon I use is WeakAuras. Pretty much my entire interface is just WeakAuras; I've set Bartender to hide all action bars.