Deleted

is "the Void" ultimately the wellspring of the Legion's power?

The Void is the source of shadow and it's been around before the Legion and Titans. I don't understand is it the same thing as Shadow planes and if it's a place or being at all. I'd like to think the Void is something like Azathoth. There was an interesting take on the Lovecraftian beings in a chart form that showed Darkness (Shadow?) being offspring of Azathoth (Void?). Some thoughts:

-Sargeras was possibly corrupted by it (?)
    -Shadowflame, void walkers and various servants of BC are tied to it
    -Old gods draw their power from it (Perhaps they are even fragments of the Void)
    -The Nathrezim seem to be very natural at shadow magick

Also the Lich King and Scourge carry the Legion's lineage (Nathrezim influence). The dreadlords seem to be a from a "deeper place" within the Twisting Nether and according to lore bits they are one of the original "demonic" races. Perhaps not directly connected to Old Gods but I like the idea of there being baddies before the time of Titans and Burning Legion.

Please, more adept Shadow scholars, share your thoughts.

They're powered by life energy and arcane magic. That's why they were going after the Well of Eternity and the world tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They're powered by life energy and arcane magic. That's why they were going after the Well of Eternity and the world tree.
    Really? I thought they went after those because WE are powered by life energy and arcane magic.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

The Void seems to be unrelated to the Legion (at least, we have seen no evidence that the two work together, or one is part of the other). Most demons are formerly mortal Fel-corrupted creatures, but Void beings are the result of energy beings dying. We've seen this in Naaru and Ethereals in BC.

Void creatures have traditionally been separate from the Legion, but the original poster has a point.

Void magic is all over the place in the Legion. The Warlords version of Ner'zhul has become pretty close to his Lich King counterpart, and that was a creation of the Legion. Kil'jaeden created the Lich King using magic he's gotten from the Nathrezim, who are masters of the undead and other dark magic. Finally, near Oshu'gun, there's a quest where you enter the Twisting Nether, known for the Legion, but it's filled to the brim with Void enemies.

Most of these things aren't explicitly Void, but with the portrayal of the Shadowmoon Clan this expansion, they feel pretty Void. I can't tell if the lore has really drawn a line between the two yet. Voidwalkers were originally just portrayed as normal demons alongside the rest of the Legion-based Warlock summons, so I'm not even sure if there is a line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLDOOG View Post
    -Sargeras was possibly corrupted by it (?)
    Sargeras wasn't literally corrupted. He lost faith in his mission because of evil demons and decided the universe needed to be remade so true order could be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLDOOG View Post
    The dreadlords seem to be a from a "deeper place" within the Twisting Nether and according to lore bits they are one of the original "demonic" races. Perhaps not directly connected to Old Gods but I like the idea of there being baddies before the time of Titans and Burning Legion.
    Nathrezim were once an enlightened race. They originate from a regular planet in the Great Dark. How they became demonic is unknown, but yes they were demonic before Sargeras went crazy. They weren't even the first demonic race Sargeras fought. He encountered them after already being troubled by all the other demons he was fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    Void creatures have traditionally been separate from the Legion, but the original poster has a point.

Void magic is all over the place in the Legion. The Warlords version of Ner'zhul has become pretty close to his Lich King counterpart, and that was a creation of the Legion. Kil'jaeden created the Lich King using magic he's gotten from the Nathrezim, who are masters of the undead and other dark magic. Finally, near Oshu'gun, there's a quest where you enter the Twisting Nether, known for the Legion, but it's filled to the brim with Void enemies.

Most of these things aren't explicitly Void, but with the portrayal of the Shadowmoon Clan this expansion, they feel pretty Void. I can't tell if the lore has really drawn a line between the two yet. Voidwalkers were originally just portrayed as normal demons alongside the rest of the Legion-based Warlock summons, so I'm not even sure if there is a line.
    The WoD Shadowmoon clan draw their power from the Dark Star, which is a dead/dying Naaru, and we know those turn into Void creatures. They also have the word 'Void' all over their abilities and mob names, including Void Wolves.

There's also no link (that we know of) between the WoD Shadowmoon and the Legion. If there were, I'm pretty sure Ner'zhul would have tried to join the Shadow Council instead of the Iron Horde.