Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    Facebook isn't the problem. Humans being are.
    Humans always are but you gotta work around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    So in other words "I deactivated Facebook because people wouldn't let go of their opinions and agree with me"
    Yeah. I have a hard time taking it seriously when his "turning point" boiled down to "People dared to disagree with me."

Humans don't operate as a hive mind and maintain their own opinions, who knew?

10+ Year Old Account
    i've never had fb account, do i win at humanity or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Oh please, I don't know a single person who has self control when it comes to facebook...99% of all people use it to spam bullshit on what they eat or how cute their kid was doing something really common.

I have a facebook, but I only use it for work (trading shifts :P)
    I have facebook...I created the account for some friends who you almost literally can't get in contact with anywhere else...I don't spam or post pics...in fact my pic I use on their is probably 7 - 8 years old right now

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Facebook is and has been awful for a while now anyway. It's an endless stream of Buzzfeed articles mixed in with pointless updates from people I hardly know. It was much better when you needed a .edu email address.
    Agreed. That said, I use it to keep in touch with family in Europe and to easily share articles/photos with my boyfriend. Like any tool ever created, it depends on how you use it.

I was following it enthusiastically until I got to this part:

So in other words "I deactivated Facebook because people wouldn't let go of their opinions and agree with me"
    Impressive reading comprehension fail!

I was following it enthusiastically until I got to this part:

By the way, don't forget to share the article on Facebook! :P

If I deactivated it, all I would have done was crippling my communication with people all around the world. I know Asians, Americans and Australians. Should I go back to old fashioned letters or visit them directly for 1000s of Euros? Ridiculous.

Otherwise, the only option is to communicate with the people in your work / town. Oh, what a diverse circle of friends.

People use it in different ways. To some it it a social network, to me it is a social encyclopedia. Just depends on the person, I guess.

I deactivated mine years ago. Haven't looked back since. It was useful in college when I was meeting a lot of new people but now I find it a bit intrusive and completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Awarewolf View Post
    Agreed. That said, I use it to keep in touch with family in Europe and to easily share articles/photos with my boyfriend. Like any tool ever created, it depends on how you use it.

I also have a facebook. it's for family mainly. I have a few friends but they are people I keep in touch with. I maybe check the thing twice a month. My family uses it a lot for events. I don't have any pictures of myself on it. ie not a picture whore. I've even stated on the facebook that just because I have it doesn't mean ima comment and (like) every damned thing they post. I guess what bothers me is the females I know post tons of pictures of themselves. selfies mostly. I am female and I'm telling you ladies now. tons of selfies on your facebooks pages just makes you look like a narcissist. If i ever put a picture of my self on the facebook it would be maybe one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I'd have to get a facebook account first... seems like a lot of work. And being a real human sounds too Frankie Goes To Hollywood for my tastes.
    Same. /10char

Deleted
    The internet is a horrible place for people that can't control themselves. I use like three different social media sites and I hardly bother to check them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook uses for myself:

1. Keep in contact with family. I live in Canada and have family in the US, UK, and Germany. We have a facebook group so we can stay in touch, up to date and share pictures with.

2. Online friends, my friends and I are very close. We met on WoW but stopped playing however we continue to do other things, we use facebook chats to do our talking, send links and what not.

3. Game pages and fan pages. Game of Thrones, Reign of Kings, League of Legends, Supernatural, etc. The group pages usually provide info I may have missed or updates for the game/show.

Everything is in moderation and self-control. There is no one to blame but yourself if you are overly addicted to facebook. You are also in control of what you post unless you get hacked which is an exception. I will likely continue to use Facebook in the future, it is a great tool when used properly and if you have the need for such a thing.

Deleted
    Instead of deactivating you could just not use it? No need to press a lot of unnecessary buttons to activate it again. ;_;

I can relate to the article.

My late teens is something I want to forget. I didn't want to be reminded of it by the photos on my profile. Call it self control, call it running away. Definitely helped me move on and in many ways, grow up.

I'd never close down my facebook, I use it to chat with a small group of people (albeit I have an extensive friend's list, I rarely speak with 90%+ of them)
    for some of those people, it's just easier to keep in touch with me via FB, since we're not living in the same towns
    for others it's the only possibility -- since two of my best friends live in Denmark & Sweden respectively, and I'm living much more to the south. I've kept in touch with them this way for over 8 years. And that's just one of the perks of FB. The fact that everybody has it makes it a very convenient tool for group organization, what I use very much.
    I rarely spam, but when I do, I only spam my closest friends and necropost very old stuff for the lulz.
    I'd never close down my FB, until I'd have another alternative that provided my with so many contact options so easily.

On my Facebook all my info other than my name is fake, I haven't posted a status update for going on 3 years and I use it to keep up to date with activities at both my flying clubs. Facebook is not the problem, people thinking they have to report everything they do and comment on every little insignificant thing is.