Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do you handle other players in random dungeons?

I'm currently leveling 2 healers and 3 tanks through random dungeons in the 90-100 range. I've noticed a few things and just want to get some advice on how to handle certain situations. First, which isn't as big of a deal, I've noticed that about 50% of the tanks are actually just dps in a tank spec that use absolutely NO mitigation abilities. I've actually healed a couple of dungeons where the DK tank never used death strike or bone shield. There was actually 1 who wouldn't even go into blood presence (that one was rough). I've seen monks who never use guard/elusive brew, warriors who don't use shield block/barrier etc. I've been healing for about 6 years so normally we'll get through, it's just a rough 30 minutes.

But my main problem comes when tanking. And the problem (annoyance) seems to be getting worse and worse. In more runs than not, there's always 1 dps who runs ahead and pulls. Now I'm not slow by any means, if it's a good group and the healer isn't struggling I'm pulling the next group before the previous is dead. I save runes/energy/abilities with cooldowns toward the end of a group so I can immediately pull the next and not have to wait for anything. But there's almost always that 1 who thinks they can pull. The other night I actually had a DK deathgrip the first boss in Skyreach off me during 4 winds because he wasn't in the same quadrant as the boss. After reading this I realize it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but while playing I get so annoyed by players who do this it makes me not want to tank. There's more to it than just holding aggro. There's positioning, mitigation, self healing, interrupts, stuns etc etc etc. Normally after the 2nd or 3rd time a player runs ahead and pulls I'll just stand there and let them die, but the problem with this is if the healer manages to keep them up, it only makes the problem worse. So I'm just wondering how everyone else feels about this and some other ways to handle it.

as a tank, nothing irks me more than whiny tanks.

if dps are pulling shit, pick it up and tank it. if you don't die, you should have pulled it in the first place.

Me, I just do what I gotta do. When I tank and other people pull things I just let them tank that mob while I go get others. When I heal I just heal, it doesn't matter if they are good or bad I know that if I do my job the dungeon will be over soon enough. As a dps I'm very much guilty of pulling things, at least when a tank is slow or doesn't do anything at all. That brings me to the only thing that bothers me, when I get into a dungeon, doesn't matter what role but when everyone just wants to stand around and do nothing. I don't get those very often though, most the time there is someone to get the ball rolling.

I guess that's it.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by k8e View Post

if dps are pulling shit, pick it up and tank it. if you don't die, you should have pulled it in the first place.
    As dps, heals and tank, I call BS on this. Let the tank tank it. DPS who pull like that should be kicked 100% of the time. If the tank is way too slow, kick the tank; but there is never a good reason for DPS to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback View Post
    The other night I actually had a DK deathgrip the first boss in Skyreach off me during 4 winds because he wasn't in the same quadrant as the boss.
    Can you even do that?

Deleted
    I'm with gurushock here. lvling as a tank i'd want to pull everything and aoe shit down. If the healer whines then i'd stop.
    Dpser pulls and he doesn't know that he should bring the pack to me, and kites it and hopes i just magically get them off him i yell at that dps. For beeing more of a hindrens then helpfull.
    And as a dps'er i hate when the tank is afk tanking just white hitting stuff, then does nothing when i then pull agro run off him. Which i then poced to try to "tank" it near him so he can use his ablitys to get the agro (i'd mostliky hav stopped dps there so he can deffenly get it) and after 5-6 secs i die, all the while he's yelling "you pulled it you tank it trololol!"

it just feels like you meet people, that have this notion that since their roles is this they hav to be in control of it what ever they think is that's roles job, and that's right untill a point i'd say. We're a group we're got a simple stratagy with one tanking all of the hits, he then get's healed while 3 others make sure monsters die befor the 1st guy does (ether not enough health or guy spending mana on heals goes oom). But we could easly hav had 5 dps'ers and just nuke everything hard and still kill stuff (mabey with a few deaths thou) but again. talk clamly and try not to go emo" and i don't care if you got 2 alts and 1 of them is raiding something mythic.
    Nothing exlused you from being a dick wipe, really.

The way the game is now, a skilled player can pretty much do more damage then the rest of the group put together, so if anyone gives me lip I take care to remind them of that.
    After doing the dungeons on CM though, I feel lik I can pretty much solo them all provided the rest of the group isn't actually afk.

Just remember, arguing for 20 minutes means you aren't getting anything done.
    Some times, realizing you know what is correct and pushing to get it done is the better option.

Well its always the better option, but some times its fun to link the meter of the blood dk doing 55 percent of the overall damage ;D
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by k8e View Post

Spoken like someone who knows jack shit about tanking.

If I didn't pull something, here is the reason why:

1. It's a caster pack and there is an LoS place I can pull it so it won't spread out between here and narnia and take a million years to dps down
    2. It has a specific ability (think the big mobs between bosses 1 and 2 in UBRS) which can result in general clusterfuckery unless you pull separately and focus it down
    3. I'm waiting on a specific cooldown to ensure that hte pack dies quickly or a specific spell doesn't go off (this would likely be a 2-3 second wait at max)
    4. The healer has no mana

Otherwise I will always pull everything I can, and if you pull something which I deliberately didn't pull due to one of the reasons above - I'll let you die. And laugh.

I'm a tank anyway, not like the queue takes long if I get kicked for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Can you even do that?
    Deathgrip taunts unless you've glyphed it. It won't actually "grip" the boss though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback View Post
    I'm currently leveling 2 healers and 3 tanks through random dungeons in the 90-100 range. I've noticed a few things and just want to get some advice on how to handle certain situations. First, which isn't as big of a deal, I've noticed that about 50% of the tanks are actually just dps in a tank spec that use absolutely NO mitigation abilities. I've actually healed a couple of dungeons where the DK tank never used death strike or bone shield. There was actually 1 who wouldn't even go into blood presence (that one was rough). I've seen monks who never use guard/elusive brew, warriors who don't use shield block/barrier etc. I've been healing for about 6 years so normally we'll get through, it's just a rough 30 minutes.

But my main problem comes when tanking. And the problem (annoyance) seems to be getting worse and worse. In more runs than not, there's always 1 dps who runs ahead and pulls. Now I'm not slow by any means, if it's a good group and the healer isn't struggling I'm pulling the next group before the previous is dead. I save runes/energy/abilities with cooldowns toward the end of a group so I can immediately pull the next and not have to wait for anything. But there's almost always that 1 who thinks they can pull. The other night I actually had a DK deathgrip the first boss in Skyreach off me during 4 winds because he wasn't in the same quadrant as the boss. After reading this I realize it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but while playing I get so annoyed by players who do this it makes me not want to tank. There's more to it than just holding aggro. There's positioning, mitigation, self healing, interrupts, stuns etc etc etc. Normally after the 2nd or 3rd time a player runs ahead and pulls I'll just stand there and let them die, but the problem with this is if the healer manages to keep them up, it only makes the problem worse. So I'm just wondering how everyone else feels about this and some other ways to handle it.
    I find that whenever a person complains about dps pulling and qualifies his statement with "I'm by no means slow" or any variation thereof, they usually are slow and a pain to group with. I've tanked several hundred dungeons on warrior, deathknight and feral (nowadays guardian) druid. I've never run into the problem of dps running ahead and pulling except when I've been semi-afk and slow because of being on the phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks that pull everything, then use no mitigation/wall or anything and votekick the healer for not keeping them alive are the worst.

Breath of Fire should just be removed from the game.

Deleted
    It depends a lot on my mood that day. Sometimes, when I see someone doing something terribly wrong I might go ahead and whisper them - which not always ends in a good way of course. But if there is a good mood going on in the pug, which also doesn't happen a lot it works out fine.
    Tanks pulling everything? Every time when I had this on a newly leveled healer I just asked him to take it slow and pointed out my low gear etc. Usually they are ok with that and knew their limits anyway. If a tank knows how to handle it, pull the whole instance if you want! Also it is nice for a healer to have a challenge from time to time too and do the "impossible".
    But I also have pugs where I just don't care. Starts off best when people can't even greet, then I just go into automode and hope that the 15-30 mins are over soon.

Deleted
    As a tank, I queue often just for the CTA satchel. However, if in half of the first pack I find myself as top DPS, I leave and let the group find a tank on their lower level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    As a tank, I queue often just for the CTA satchel. However, if in half of the first pack I find myself as top DPS, I leave and let the group find a tank on their lower level.
    yeah its not like tanks usually are very high in damage in 5mans or anythin

unless they are complete douchebags i usually dont mind if people pull low dps or healing, everyone has to start somewhere and why not one of the easiest content
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

if people rush to much, i notify... If people ninja pull often, i tell them to stop if they dont, i just tell group to let them die...
    And yeh we continue 4 man until we can kick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    As dps, heals and tank, I call BS on this. Let the tank tank it. DPS who pull like that should be kicked 100% of the time. If the tank is way too slow, kick the tank; but there is never a good reason for DPS to pull.
    What this guy said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    yeah its not like tanks usually are very high in damage in 5mans or anythin

unless they are complete douchebags i usually dont mind if people pull low dps or healing, everyone has to start somewhere and why not one of the easiest content
    Between 630 Bind on Account gear and cheap 640 stuff, there is no reason for anyone to not outDPS me, as my tank is quite poorly geared, only about 660.

And like I said - if someone is playing on lower level, for instance by just puking on keyboard, I let those people find their likes.
    Last edited by mmoc5eb69ce1b0; 2015-03-30 at 10:51 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    If your tank is absolute garbage and takes a million years to pull, kick him. He's being shit and ruining the run. If he's ungeared as fuck and pulls a bit less, deal with it. If he ever bitches, complains, goes AFK or starts taking 20 seconds or some other retarded shit, kick him too. That goes for anyone. I don't tank heroics anymore ever because they are even more irrelevant than before but this logic will still help you out.

Do not baby tanks. The glorious days of tanks having all the power and control of the game has long been broken and while I wish it would return, it never will. Kick them if they suck. If you are a tank, kick anyone for anything and if your group doesn't, just leave. It is faster to just run a new dungeon than it is to deal with fucking casuals.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

I'm currently playing DK and Monk tank and get consistently annoyed by people who don't even remotely grasp the concept of their role.

I'm totally fine with people pulling off lower DPS then they are capable of, but if someone does't do a single interrupt in the whole dungeon, I argue that proving grounds is still way too easy.

I have an addon that whispers petclasses that their pets are tauting targets and they tend to simply ignore it. Which usually results in either me getting kicked b/c I refuse to continue that way or they finally fix their sh*t after hours.

And most of them get sassy if you point out the mistake regarding pet taunt.

And some dungeons drive me insane like UBRS where the Boss Kyrak puts a healing buff on himself and you got a group consisting of Mage/Priest/Hunter/Ele and no one bothers purging the buff off....

10+ Year Old Account
    I just ignore people... If a DPS or a healer pulls before me... I go "oh well" and tank whatever shit was pulled. People doing lower dps then me or healers lower HPS then me as a tank... I just ignore it and keep moving on.

As for doing this on lower gear levels - same deal. If people pull before me and I die due to lack of gear/bad CDs usage/sucky healer/bad DPS we either go again and people are more careful or I get kicked - queue again and take it from the start. It's more about being tolerant of various people rather then being a dick about it.

If a hunter pet insists of doing a better job tanking I tell the hunter to turn growl off, if that's not gonna happen I'm just gonna taunt the shit off the pet(s) when something needs to be moved and let the hunter pet handle it.

Though most of the time people find it hard to keep up with my pulling speed of trash on top of bosses regardless of how the DPS/HPS numbers are. Only time I stop is when I am asked for MB or a DPS got "lost" in the dungeon and it would take longer then needed to kill a boss with 1 man down.

I had the mentality you "you pulled it, you tank it and you die" awhile back, but hell right now as I have limited time to do the random dungeon shit I just make sure the bosses and trash dies as fast as possible so I can move on to other things.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2015-03-30 at 11:49 AM.

As a Healer: Cocky / Overconfident Tanks.

As a Tank: DPS that chain-pull; Especially on my tank chars that are not that geared ending in a wipe, only for the DPS to say "lolbad tank gtfo"...
    Those players, in particular; HUNTERS; I will make an effort to Kick them ASAP. Problem is anymore; It's quicker to complete a dungeon, or the first boss of a dungeon, then leave. Other times I'll just leave and re-queue as a tank, Messaging the Healers usually why I left.

Healers who are not geared, or have healing issues with their class, or who are learning, I can adapt to.
    Healers that don't Dispell.

As a DPS: Tanks who can't hold threat / Healers that don't Dispell
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Deleted
    I don't have issues with anyone...except epic morons.
    *Dks (a lot of these guys) that wear pretty much anything that drops, cloth, leather, intellect gear etc...
    *Derps that do shit dps, I mean really low crap that makes you wonder if they aren't just autoattacking.
    *Tanks that join as dps and dps with sword&board and are practically useless and piss off the actual tank as well because these jackasses don't even switch stances/aggro buffs nor stay away from using high aggro generating abilities.
    *Morons that need on everything the button isn't greyed out for. It's not even because they want to sell or level enchanting, it's because they're just idiots.

And ofcourse none of these wastes of flesh talk in party chat nor listen when they are told to stop w/e shit they are doing.

Also when leveling my new rogue, I noticed a new annoyance - The Double Ninja. Two guys (always two), same guild, they need on everything, even stuff none of them has any use for. They have heirlooms so they are obviously not newbs. Noticed like 3 double ninja pairs.

I usually attempt to votekick these characters, which is hard because the tank keeps pulling. Had a tank that went in one go from start to finish pulling all in his path.
    Last edited by mmocf623eb2d4e; 2015-03-30 at 12:25 PM.