Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    I main a hunter and out of the other classes that I have played I would recommend to you Shadow Priest or Boomkin. While you have to remain stationary to cast some spells, you would be surprised how mobile most ranged classes are. Even as a hunter it's not like you are running back and forth constantly as you cast your abilities. Not to mention Shadow priest and Boomkin are just a blast to play.

I have played a mage as well, but I don't find them to be as mobile or partcularly fun. Some people love mages though so to each their own

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    I main a hunter and out of the other classes that I have played I would recommend to you Shadow Priest or Boomkin. While you have to remain stationary to cast some spells, you would be surprised how mobile most ranged classes are. Even as a hunter it's not like you are running back and forth constantly as you cast your abilities. Not to mention Shadow priest and Boomkin are just a blast to play.

I have played a mage as well, but I don't find them to be as mobile or partcularly fun. Some people love mages though so to each their own
    I main a shadow priest, and mobility depends significantly on talent choices, which can dramatically change your playstyle (which I think is a really cool part of shadow). Mobility will obviously never be as good as hunters' but if you're willing to sacrifice some damage and take sub-optimal talents you can become very mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLuckBox View Post
    I never claimed it was an accident, i know it is there design intention. I'm saying it is antiquated , outdated, and not fun.

There are other ways of making so melee don't lose their appeal, whilst giving ranged classes more mobility.
    What are those other ways? No matter how you slice it, melee will always need to be in melee range, and ranged will have an advantage on switching targets.

i think is funny that i hate to move on my hunter. having to press awd to move while also pressing 123456+shift mod +ftgxz make it hard for me. sure i can move and keep my rotation going i just hate to move.

most of the time im playing my hunter im just standing still. Little to no dif when im playing my lock that has 0 instant cast.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    What are those other ways? No matter how you slice it, melee will always need to be in melee range, and ranged will have an advantage on switching targets.

Couple things that come to mind:

-Make it so that when a ranged player is moving and casting, his/her character has reduced accuracy, and spells cast have a chance to miss their target. (10-15% or so) This way ranged players can still move and cast, but aren't totally having their rotation punished. Alternatively, they could just reduce damage dealt while moving by 10-15% for rdps, if people prefer not to have that rng.
    -Slightly increasing all PVE player melee damage when striking an opponent from behind. (thinking 5-10% or so) Could diversify and make it so that certain classes only get the buff when striking from in front, say Warriors for example.
    -Give all melee some type of weak filler ability they can use even at range in PVE. (It would be a dps loss to spam, but still useable when out of range, target switching, etc. Think scorch for fire mages)
    -Giving melee more tools to close distance, charge/leap/blink/etc (PVE only)
    -Utilize more melee cleave damage share mechanics on bosses, such that groups are punished for stacking ranged and not having enough melee to help soak these mechanics with the tanks.
    -Perhaps implementing a melee healer/melee support class/spec

Just some ideas off the top of my head. Would probably take a combination of these changes and more to the melee/ranged combat system, but I'm confident it could be done in PVE in a fair/balanced and modern way. We don't need to gimp most rdps and have them completely immobile as they currently do. I can't think of any game off the top of my head except WoW that does. It's much more fun to be able to freely move and do what you want to do.
    Last edited by HappyLuckBox; 2015-04-03 at 03:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TeksOfGiggityA52 View Post
    I agree with HappyLuckBox here, but I see why Blizzard designed it the way that they did. Maybe a better design philosophy would be to give more of the raid utility to melee, take some from casters,but then let casters run free? Honestly, I feel pretty bad for the casters right now and think they should be given more mobility but whatever.
    I don't agree, There's a reason blizzard nerfed mobility. Melee where just unwanted because ranged where more useful in most scenario's i mean THOK said it all most first kills where mostly casters, Garrosh casters could have full uptime in boss damage wear as melee couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Hunter main here...The other class I play that I feel has a similar vibe is Frost Mage. The control plus a pet that can keep the damage/CC rolling when you get cc'd is very beneficial.

If you are not opposed to playing melee, Rogue and Feral seem to attract a lot of the same types of players (myself included).

I play shadow priest as my alt. A bit more movement impaired, but just like hunters you can build up good burst, and like BM and MM hunters you have really good execute dmg.

Deleted
    Most close range to hunter is good old Elemental shaman.He is basicly hunter with mana an focusing shot talent
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2015-04-04 at 10:39 AM.

I main a hunter and by far my favorite alt has always been my Windwalker Monk.
    It has the same fast gameplay, great mobility and monks are just incredibly fun to play in my opinion. The only thing you need to get used to is being melee, stuff is alot more deadly in there compared to standing at range.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    i think is funny that i hate to move on my hunter. having to press awd to move while also pressing 123456+shift mod +ftgxz make it hard for me. sure i can move and keep my rotation going i just hate to move.

most of the time im playing my hunter im just standing still. Little to no dif when im playing my lock that has 0 instant cast.
    you ever think about a gaming mouse? All of my keys are on my right hand freeing my left to be able to move if needed and press shift/alt for modifiers.

Deleted
    Hunter is head and shoulders above all other classes IMO, for enjoyability, but I have fun with my Fire Mage (Ice Floes for MOAR mobility) and Ret Paladins. Cos procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    Most close range to hunter is good old Elemental shaman.He is basicly hunter with mana an focusing shot talent
    Nope! Back in MoP when they had lightning bolt on the move, maybe, but now they feel like every other caster -- a turret -- with the added "bonus" that your toolkit sucks. So, uh, yeah, can't say that I would recommend one. Source: I loved my ele in MoP, and dropped it because it feels shitty now for hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    i think is funny that i hate to move on my hunter. having to press awd to move while also pressing 123456+shift mod +ftgxz make it hard for me. sure i can move and keep my rotation going i just hate to move. most of the time im playing my hunter im just standing still. Little to no dif when im playing my lock that has 0 instant cast.
    FWIW, your keybindings sound like they are a part of your problem, more than the playstyle. (Though, honestly, standing still as a hunter is fine. You don't need to be a jumping jack or jill just because you rolled NElf Hunter.)

I would suggest experimenting -- by which I mean, remap to it and spend three weeks without changing it before you give up -- with binding movement to ESDF. Then bind your main abilities to QW and RT, AG for frequent-but-not-constant (eg: Kill Command, not Cobra Shot) spells, and then 1-6, Z-B for other bindings. That means that the you have four or five slots that are really easy to hit while moving, because your hand is already in position for them.

(I have kill shot on A, and it's slightly nicer to use while strafing right, but hardly that much of a thing while going left.)