View Poll Results: Should cancer exist in Series?

Voters
53. This poll is closed
  • Only if nesessary / Yes

27 50.94%
  • Never

3 5.66%
  • I don't care

23 43.40%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    One of my best friends was killed by a gun, so guns have no place in tv shows?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't care. Unless they're being inappropriate about something horrible in a normally serious show (if it's a comedy known to make fun of touchy things, then who cares)
    But if it's done in a serious way and tells a good story, why not?

My father died last year from cancer. While it can be upsetting to see it in a television show (hell, for awhile it bothered me to see anyone in grief in a movie or television show even if their loss wasn't due to cancer), television shouldn't just be things that make you happy. All artistic mediums have a chance to challenge us in unique ways. I was at my father's bedside when he died, and watching my mother literally be crushed after 35 years of marriage was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life. That's not a reason for a thing to not be on television.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You are honestly saying that cancer has no place on TV because it can bring up negative memories in some people? My grandmother passed away of cancer a little over a year ago and yes, seeing or hearing about cancer brings up bad memories and emotions but that's life. That's how we learn to deal with things, by confronting those memories. Not be sticking your head in the sand and pretending they don't exist. How have to gotten to this point where people will say "You cannot tell this story that you want to tell because it makes me feel bad"? Since when has all art or entertainment has to be 100% positive and happy? It is completely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    That is not what he said criticism of a general plot device because of a sensative nature doesn't mean he saying ban everything offensive.
    Actually that is pretty much exactly what he is saying. He is saying that ________ makes him personally feel bad therefore it should be removed from all forms of media so he doesn't have to deal with it. Put whatever you want into the blank be it cancer, rape, murder, car accident, plane crashes, war, child abuse, bad break-ups, broken arms, hang nails, anything and everything else that a person could possibly have a negative reaction to. Yes, I know this is the slippery slope argument and is a logical fallacy, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    Not the most nice topic. There has been a number of series which added cancer to their character(s), I won't name them all, but for example House M.D., Vampire Dairies. I personally lost 2 important people irl due to cancer and it upsets me greatly each time it gets mentioned in Shows which are supposed to entertain us. I know ofc that there are two sides of medal, that maybe this way more people will be aware, but really I think there is no place for cancer in TV shows, and it should only appear in some themed movies. Do you agree?
    Cancer is a common illness. You might also notice that cardiovascular illnesses are common in TV-shows, because they're common in real life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Should we run away from and sweep rl right under that carpet?

Deleted
    Cancer makes a good joke and good drama. Grow a thicker skin buddy and stop collecting things that offend you. Are you going to get kids and then get offended by dead baby jokes too? Then get a wife and get offended by mother-in-law jokes just because you have one?

Deleted
    Came for 4chan shitposting.

:<

7+ Year Old Account
    I think its absurd. According to you, this isn't just about cancer, its about every disease and pretty much everything that makes someone uncomfortable. We can't just say "Okay, you, Malderon, in particular, think we shouldn't cover certain topics, therefore we won't" because YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. We'd have to do the same thing for every one else, or your argument would just be special pleading. No more people getting killed, unless the movie or show is specifically about killing people and that's the main theme. No more action movies. "Oh, well I think sex outside of marriage is wrong and it triggers me", well, no more romance subplots with sex, all because someone complained. Can't even mention it unless its specifically the main theme of the "entertainment".

Art does not apologize.

You can't please everyone, get over yourself. And if you really are that weak-willed an individual that you can't even be reminded in a tangential way of something happening to you that made you sad, don't watch anything. Also, wtf are you even doing on the internet? "That post gave me cancer" is a very common thing. How do you even walk down the street without breaking into tears every time someone sneezes and it vaguely sounds like "cancer"?
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cancer really hurt Breaking Bad, didn't it?

Not the most nice topic. There has been a number of series which added cancer to their character(s), I won't name them all, but for example House M.D., Vampire Dairies. I personally lost 2 important people irl due to cancer and it upsets me greatly each time it gets mentioned in Shows which are supposed to entertain us. I know ofc that there are two sides of medal, that maybe this way more people will be aware, but really I think there is no place for cancer in TV shows, and it should only appear in some themed movies. Do you agree?
    Are you serious? People can't tell a story because it makes you remember a loved one who had cancer?

I have lost people to cancer too. A lot of people have.

Stop with this nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to know someone who had an epileptic seizure 20 years ago and got upset when one of those was mentioned casually in The Tick live-action series. I told him this was further evidence that he hadn't grown up yet.

Deleted
    Do you agree?
    Uhm...no. Absolutely not. Cancer is very common nowadays, and it would make absolutely no sense to avoid it in those series.

Also, you know, a lot of other people lost relatives, friends etc. due to traffic accidents, crimes and other diseases as well. Is there now no place for them in TV shows either? What are they still allowed to show then?

7+ Year Old Account
    doesnt bother me, my father have had cancer 2 times and now got it again and hes probably not going to make it this time