Regenerative Magic Glyph confusion

I've seen a lot of Death Knights with Blood boil, Regenerative magic, and raise ally. The only thing I don't get is why a lot of people choose Regenerative magic over Anti-magic shell.

Not a dk but I assume because it allows for more RP generation throughout the fight vs AMS which just increases the damage reduction of AMS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shorter cooldown for more uses, RP gain (for breath of sindragosa).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Regenerative Magic would be my default but truth be told it depends on the fight. If your actually taking enough magic damage to reach the absorb limit then you should use Anti-Magic shell (such as soaking Inferno Slices on Gruul) where as if the magic damage is intermittent and light then you should use Regenerative Magic.

What fight(s) where Regenerative magic come in handy?

The glyph of AMS doesn't change the absorb limit, so it usually has zero effect in PvE. It can be useful when a 100% absorb causes a magic effect to not apply; this largely impacts old-content soloing. It is of course useful in PvP.

The glyph of Regenerative Magic also doesn't change the absorb limit, so it has zero effect when your AMS is fully utilized. However, if you mis-time your AMS or the absorb isn't fully used, it greatly shortens the cooldown. Most raid spell damage isn't 40% of your health in a quick burst these days, so this glyph usually does help.

The glyph of Absorb Magic doubles the absorb limit, which theoretically makes AMS a far superior survival cooldown. But again most spell damage doesn't burst down 40% of your health (much less 80%!) if you're playing correctly and you lose the DPS benefit, so most DKs don't take it. Even Blood generally prefers the runic power, because the extra Death Strikes (and other stuff like improved death coil from spending runic power) is more valuable than the extra absorb which healers would have picked up anyway.

That's why most PvE DKs glyph regen magic over the alternatives.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2015-03-31 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    The glyph of AMS doesn't change the absorb limit, so it usually has zero effect in PvE. It can be useful when a 100% absorb causes a magic effect to not apply; this largely impacts old-content soloing. It is of course useful in PvP.

The glyph of Regenerative Magic also doesn't change the absorb limit, so it has zero effect when your AMS is fully utilized. However, if you mis-time your AMS or the absorb isn't fully used, it greatly shortens the cooldown. Most raid spell damage isn't 40% of your health in a quick burst these days, so this glyph usually does help.

The glyph of Absorb Magic doubles the absorb limit, which theoretically makes AMS a far superior survival cooldown. But again most spell damage doesn't burst down 40% of your health (much less 80%!) if you're playing correctly and you lose the DPS benefit, so most DKs don't take it. Even Blood generally prefers the runic power, because the extra Death Strikes (and other stuff like improved death coil from spending runic power) is more valuable than the extra absorb which healers would have picked up anyway.

That's why most PvE DKs glyph regen magic over the alternatives.
    I'm a fan of Anti-Magic Shell on Gruul, Kromog, Oregorger, and Blackhand as they do single spells with heavy Magical damage.
    Last edited by Breyers; 2015-03-31 at 03:44 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    The standard AMS glyph isn't actually that good. As blood I'd consider it worse than having no glyph to be honest. There's nothing wrong with taking some(the remaining 25%) damage, especially if it means significantly more uptime. Honorable mention to Absorb magic due to it's insane potential.