10+ Year Old Account

Spain Is About to Offer Citizenship to 2.2 Million (GGT)

http://time.com/3763381/spain-sephar...s-citizenship/

Title altered to be less click baity, named the country and removed whom it would be getting citizenship to make my title less click bait.

Exactly 523 years ago on Tuesday, the Edict of Expulsion, which forced Spain’s Jewish community to convert to Catholicism or leave the country, was issued by monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella. It may have taken more than half a millennia, but Madrid is finally about to make amends for kicking out the Jews by offering citizenship to the estimated 2.2 million descendants of those expelled.

The Sephardic Ancestry Bill is expected to be approved in May by Spain’s upper house of parliament, the Senate. The bill is not expected to become law until the end of the year, but already, the Spanish embassy in Tel Aviv has been inundated by requests from those who are eager to get Spanish citizenship and the access to European Union countries it entails.

Interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't understand why they would do that. If Spain wants to make amends for past actions, surely they've done worse than religious intolerance and exile.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.. If more than 5% or so accepts it could present some problems. Unless they let these people fill up the spots originally intended for refugees, which would be a very smart, but very unacceptable move.

This only makes sense because they're Jewish. Were they Muslim or based on something like political opinion, this would never have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, that's what I thought. Muslims were also treated equally to Jews by Ferdinand and Isabella, but only the Jews are included in this attempt to "make amends".
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-03-31 at 03:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Don't understand why they would do that. If Spain wants to make amends for past actions, surely they've done worse than religious intolerance and exile.
    Such as? Spain already expedites the naturalization process for residents from their former colonies. And compared to golden visas and other similar schemes that have become popular within the EU as of late, this is actually justifiable.
    This only makes sense because they're Jewish. Were they Muslim or based on something like political opinion, this would never have happened.

Oh, that's what I thought. Muslims were also treated equally to Jews by Ferdinand and Isabella, but only the Jews are included in this attempt to "make amends".
    They've retained strong cultural ties to the country (e.g. some speak Ladino) and still have identifiable surnames or can prove their ancestry, unlike the expelled Muslims. Regardless, the implications of opening the floodgates to Northwestern Africa should be readily obvious to anyone who isn't trying to claim the moral high ground.

So European citizenship for free, basically?

When I think about the fact that I had to pay some 1000€ administration fees to get my German citizenship... Not to mention that I had to fucking live in this country for years and years and years.

Now some random guys get a free EU passport because 500 (!!!) years ago the Kingdom of Spain was an ass to their ancestors.

What should Germany do then? Include Israel as a part of NRW because of WW2?
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2015-03-31 at 05:12 PM.

I'm sure this will not strain Spain's economy any further. Isn't the unemployment rate for people under 25 like 40%?

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    I'm sure this will not strain Spain's economy any further. Isn't the unemployment rate for people under 25 like 40%?
    Maybe this is like some racist-ly motivated economic trick. You know, only Jews get a citizenship. Jews make money. Do you get it?

Really I don't understand it. Why Jews, really because of what happened half a millennium ago?

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Maybe this is like some racist-ly motivated economic trick. You know, only Jews get a citizenship. Jews make money. Do you get it?

Really I don't understand it. Why Jews, really because of what happened half a millennium ago?
    Because the whole world is turning into apologist pussies. Jews also poison wells too so dont forget that (sarcasm dont infract me scrapbot)

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    Because the whole world is turning into apologist pussies. Jews also poison wells too so dont forget that (sarcasm dont infract me scrapbot)
    And they steal our children at night.

No seriously, I get it. Jews were discriminated and this sucks. I wish it never happened, and I could understand it more if it happened because of some recent event.

This shit happened before we discovered America.

Deleted
    Fucking wonderful, I look forward to them all coming to the UK. Perhaps we can also open our borders to the yanks, canucks and Aussies, and then when there is nobody left we can all move somewhere sunny.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is certainly interesting. I definitely want to see how many people actually accept and become citizens.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    This seems like a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna know if I can get citizenship

Imma coming for u EU posters!