Question I wanted to ask for help...but am new so it won't let me include urls...

Is there an acceptable way to workaround this that won't get me in trouble with moderators?

Thank you

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can just give some information like character name and realm, and ask someone to post them for you.

And by ask, I mean explain what you are having trouble with, and that you are unable to post links yet. People around here are usually pretty good about going a little out of their way to help someone out, when the person is upfront about why they are unable to provide links.
    Last edited by Zenotetsuken; 2015-03-31 at 07:54 PM.

Thank you. It is a guardian: Haea-Turalyon

Logs are out on warcraft logs.... reports/QhxmArk39tqgN1p8/

Essentially I am a bad bear (or think I am) and while I know some things to be working on and am trying to make changes...I am putting far to large a drain on the raid healers - they should be complaining but they are not...

Deleted
    Well, looking at your gruul kill as a template... you can definately use survival instincts at least once for soaking inferno slice. Also, you used Guardian of elune for that fight, which can be good, but I don't think you used it enough, with 5 casts to justify it. Pulverize or bristling fur would have been better.

Other issues that are execution and not gruul related are: you had a low uptime of thrash. You dont need to spam this, but keep it up 100% of the time. Try to manage mangles better too, don't spam lacerate too much. You cast maul once, that's a big no no, maul is good, tooth and claw really fucks with his melee swings so cast it a lot more than once and on all other bosses. You messed up your prepot or didn't do a second one, only used one potion in that fight. Also, you only used one berserk in a 4 minute boss fight, could have gotten two.

Your gearing, you seem to be focusing on multistrike, I'd go for mastery to make things easier on your healers. Multistrike just gives you more HP, mastery gives you more mitigation, and you'll still have quite a bit with your gear plus raid buffs. So, swap out enchants and swap to mark of blackrock or mark of bleeding hollow.

Looking at a kill such as flamebender, you took bristling fur and used it once, if you take that talent, make use of it, its good on that fight, but dont waste it. On that fight you used savage defense twice, again you need to use that a lot more to help your healers, it might be RNG, but averaged over the entire fight it saves them a lot.

Looking at your oregorger, you didn't use maul once, put that in a nice spammable place such as where your heroic strike would be as a warrior. Except with tooth and claw, it helps significantly with your damage taken. This ability scales if you are tanking the boss, so if the boss has aggro on you, and you maul them with tooth and claw, you save your healers a good chunk. And even if you are not tanking it, you help your tank buddy, so maul with tooth and claw as a habit, its a DPS boost and survivability boost.
    Last edited by mmoc05772f8627; 2015-03-31 at 10:27 PM.

Thank you for taking the time and all the comments; I have been fiddling with things and, at the moment, are doing all of them badly (I used to do a very simple Pulverize based rotation with Savage Regen predominantly based on some theorycraft I had read). As we've moved into heroic BRF that just doesn't get the job done well enough.

I've seen mixed information on the target % for mastery...some say 40 is enough...others say go to 60+...any particular "target" I should be shooting for? With raid buffs/food I'm about 41% if I remember correctly.

Thanx again!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MinscLovesBoo View Post
    Thank you for taking the time and all the comments; I have been fiddling with things and, at the moment, are doing all of them badly (I used to do a very simple Pulverize based rotation with Savage Regen predominantly based on some theorycraft I had read). As we've moved into heroic BRF that just doesn't get the job done well enough.

I've seen mixed information on the target % for mastery...some say 40 is enough...others say go to 60+...any particular "target" I should be shooting for? With raid buffs/food I'm about 41% if I remember correctly.

Thanx again!
    I've not heard of any target on mastery, I'd get as much as possible, it really helps, there is no point where it stops being effective.

In any case lots of gear from BRF has mastery+multistrike, so if your enchants are mastery and your gear has both, you'll end up having bets of both worlds.

Thanx again!
    Out of curiosity, where is this guide/theorycraft that you've been referencing? It seems to be a common theme we've been getting in these forums where bears are spamming Frenzied Regen and barely using Savage Defense (you should be using SD as much as possible with FR as more of an emergency) and experiencing bad tanking results. Our jobs as bears is to avoid damage as much as possible using SD.

I went and compared your heroic Operator killing with my mythic Operator kill this week, and you actually took massively more damage that I did... we're talking you took 50% more damage. The cause for this increase is almost exclusively because I prioritized using SD while you prioritized FR. My guess is that your healers complain that you're constantly taking damage or spiking quite often, using SD will help eliminate this and minimize the need to use FR to heal yourself (using Tooth and Claw procs with Maul will also help, not spamming FR and using SD instead will actually let you do this easily).

As Lyuben stated, get as much mastery as possible, it's there to help fill in the gaps when you don't dodge attacks and mitigate damage. 41% mastery should be more than enough to tank heroic BRF comfortably, although I'd still recommend getting more where possible. I personally consider multistrike more of a DPS stat and maximum health increase, although I don't think there's a healer out there that wouldn't want a tank to mitigate more damage when possible (which our mastery allows). Your health shouldn't be an issue with your gear setup, so minimizing the damage you take is desirable.

Again, I'd like to see where you've been getting your information, especially if it's a common/reputable site. You aren't the only Guardian to come in with this questionable information and ask for help, and the bears here will be happy to assist you where we can!
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I have been checking so many different forums and sites over the last 2 weeks I don't remember ottomh - I will look for it and try to repost.

The healers have not been complaining...probably because it is my raid group. Heh heh. Oops. As I've been digging through the data, even going back to normal, I've realized that...well...I'm kindof sucking at the bear tanking much more than I thought (and even called it out in our last raid as something I'm prioritizing fixing).

I'll shift around some of the gems and enchants and keep focusing on breaking the habit I've built up of FR vs. SD (I'll probably switch the keymaps). I think I'll also generally glyph into elune or bristling vs. pulverize.

Thanx!

- - - Updated - - -

I found one of the threads on FR vs. SD. Some updates in the last week or so to it.

However...I still cannot post links...so here is the tail of the link and it is over at theinconspicuousbear website.

.../forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1348

I found one of the threads on FR vs. SD. Some updates in the last week or so to it.

However...I still cannot post links...so here is the tail of the link and it is over at theinconspicuousbear website.

.../forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1348
    Was necro'd recently, but I browsed through it quickly. For what should concern yourself and your gameplay, opt with prioritizing SD over FR, as that discussion is purely theoretical debate. In practice, you can use FR over SD, but you have to overgear the content (for example, going out questing in Nagrand with ilvl 700 gear). While you can technically outgear raid content and use FR over SD eventually... let's put it this way, it still wouldn't be bad to use SD over FR unless you're undergoing some no/low-heal scenarios (and you'd probably be done with progression right now). Even with the high levels of mastery I have on my gear at high Resolve, if I find myself needing to spam FR to keep myself alive while not having SD up, I'm almost guaranteed dead with content equal to my level of gear. It is immensely safer to avoid attacks and have mastery fill in the gaps than rely on just mastery alone and heal up after the damage is done.

Feel free to experiment with the lvl 100 talents, we just tend to recommend one or two for certain encounters as it generally revolves around needing personal CD's for damage or not. While we typically say GoE really shines on avoiding a specific mechanic, that only really applies to Blade Dash on mythic Maidens (which is super nice, btw), but it doesn't mean it can't be used elsewhere to some effect. Bristling Fur is good for the frequent bursts damage encounters, which there are plenty. Pulverize is just a good default for sustained damage, and there's no rule saying you have to keep up Pulverize 100% if it's not necessary.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2015-04-02 at 04:08 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville