Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Since about a month ago, I keep getting into the hype more and more. Not a big fan of remakes of all and not a fan of all the comic book movies, but this looks really good. Basically no CGI, just old school car wrecks. I remember seeing the old Road Warrior as a kid and loved it.

10+ Year Old Account
    movie was fucking amazing. literally the best movie of this year... currently

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    movie was fucking amazing. literally the best movie of this year... currently
    Agreed and tbh I don't see much on the horizon that could top it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Mad Max was fan-fucking-tastic. Incredible direction, sharp cinematography, sound design, stunt work, plotting- it was like a film course on the action genre.

A flawless film.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Mad Max was fan-fucking-tastic. Incredible direction, sharp cinematography, sound design, stunt work, plotting- it was like a film course on the action genre.

A flawless film.
    Holy crap I can't wait to see this. I'm hearing this bad boy is putting Age of Ultron to shame. Like, so good it's setting the standard for the next 10 years of action films. Holy frack, count me in!

Honestly? I wasn't all that impressed with Mad Max.

I just got back and let me tell you: If you like story, context, or explanations for -anything-, don't see this movie. Nothing is explained or told about. The strangest scene was never explained, even within the next scene's explanation of the environment which the scene takes place.

The action, cinematography, and soundtrack are perfect, though.

If you like story, context, or explanations for -anything-, don't see this movie. Nothing is explained or told about.
    The film explains everything perfectly within action. Almost all the story is told in action, where not, in sparse and evocative language. "Crows.", "Chrome.", "My mates, Larry and Barry chewing on my windpipe."

Can't think of a single frame which lacked thoughtfulness. Masterful, textbook filmaking.

The film explains everything perfectly within action. Almost all the story is told in action, where not, in sparse and evocative language. "Crows.", "Chrome.", "My mates, Larry and Barry chewing on my windpipe."

Can't think of a single frame which lacked thoughtfulness. Masterful, textbook filmaking.
    I realize that words provide backstory, but the true backstory about the world was only the first minute of the movie, in garbled transmissions, no less. Where's the context of the story? Where is it taking place relative to, say, the Thunderdome? What happened between the movies?

It feels sparse to the point of lacking a story. I haven't watched any Mad Max movie before this one, so if that style of storytelling is a key feature of the movies, then fair enough. None of the scenes are given real context, though. Such as the marsh scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubark View Post
    I realize that words provide backstory, but the true backstory about the world was only the first minute of the movie, in garbled transmissions, no less.
    What is "true" backstory?

The garbled transmissions set up the setting exactly. The world has effectively "ended", a former cop known as a Road Warrior tries to survive in the wasteland of the world's remnants.

That is the backstory in total.

Where's the context of the story?
    A wasteland after a cataclysm. I think it's one of the first things said in the beginning.

Where is it taking place relative to, say, the Thunderdome?
    Unnecessary. Not germane to the story. Why would a writer include such at the expense of leanness?

What happened between the movies?
    Unnecessary detail. Max says simply he is "mad" in the world that remains.

It feels sparse to the point of lacking a story.
    This might be your personal value- which is fair. Though sparsity or leanness in writing does not equate to a lack of story, per se. There is no scene of the film which lacks context, it's merely that context is not overly elaborated on where unimportant to the narrative. See: Hemingway, McCarthy.

I haven't watched any Mad Max movie before this one, so if that style of storytelling is a key feature of the movies, then fair enough.
    They are like this, yes. The most verbose being Beyond Thunderdome. Which also begins In Media Res if I am not mistaken.

None of the scenes are given real context, though. Such as the marsh scene.
    It is given context.

The marsh is east of the Gas Town, which Furiosa says leads to the Green Place beyond the mountains. When the war rig reaches the salt flats Max & co are given the revelation of the Marsh being the former Green Place. The Green Place now know as the Marsh is inhabited by crows (literal crows and figuratively cancerous men) whom pick through the mud for worms due to the water of the Green Place becoming contaminated.

It's explained succinctly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-05-16 at 02:14 PM.

-snip-
    Well... Now that you explain it like that, I might just have to change my mind. I'd at least have to watch it again.

I guess I missed a bunch of it because I saw it with my stepdad, which I developed a headache because we sat so close to the screen. I'd have to try it without a headache.

Thank you for explaining it to me.

The stunts were impressive, and the visuals were nice, other than some less than top notch CGI. Theron's character never really made me warm to her though, and Tom Hardy has a fucking LONG way to go before he will be even half as cool as Gibson was playing the same character(and being a secondary character in his own movie doesn't help with that any).

Deleted
    Just came back from the movie and wow, it was amazing. As I said before in this thread, I didn't get all the hype (I didn't even know there were Mad Max movies before this). But now I do get the hype. In movies like this it isn't about how good the story is. The story is more like a glue which holds all the action scenes together, and in this movie it does so pretty nicely. My only problem with the story is that we don't really get to know Max better. He has very little dialogue and we don't really get an emotional connection with him.

The action however... unbelievable. I can't recall a movie that had such long action scenes. The CGI was also nicely done, however some of the fire looked obviously fake at some points.

Overall I'd definitely recommend this to action movie fans. Very very good watch. (Still doesn't beat John Wick for me though)

10+ Year Old Account

A flawless film.
    I've been hearing this from almost every reviewer that I like, I can't wait to go watch it.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Quote Originally Posted by zaheer12a View Post
    (Still doesn't beat John Wick for me though)
    Yep, same here.

Deleted
    Honestly, quite boring film. There was barely any acting in the film, the plot was awful. It was just non-stop driving around and action, shooting and explosions for 2 hours. I could have spent my time better elsewhere. Also no reason to like any of the characters. John Wick and Kingsman were much better movies this year. This is just very very overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Plane View Post
    Honestly, quite boring film. There was barely any acting in the film, the plot was awful. It was just non-stop driving around and action, shooting and explosions for 2 hours. I could have spent my time better elsewhere. Also no reason to like any of the characters. John Wick and Kingsman were much better movies this year. This is just very very overrated.
    Overrated is a terrible word because ratings are totally subjective. Also, John Wick was last year.

This might very well be the only other movie besides Star Wars and the Avengers that I will go to see this year. It has real stunts instead of CGI copy and pastes, and plus it looks fun. Who needs a plot? Just name "Demolition Derby: The Movie" and that'd be good enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got back from it myself. Best action movie I've seen in some time and possibly the best reboot I've seen (that I can think of off the top of my head anyway!). Was really fucking good.

I disagree that Mad Max was an irrelevant character. Sure, he wasn't driving the plot but I don't think they could have replaced him with a nobody and I don't think he was an expendable character.

Anyway, the whole thing was awesome. It was beautiful, well shot, solid action, and thoroughly entertaining. I heartily endorse it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Going to go see the movie right now, will post thoughts tonight.

One of the best action movies I've ever seen easily....best movie by far released this year. Do yourself a favor and see it if you haven't cause the reviews ain't lying. And to the guy who said there was no plot then names Kingsman which has the most ridiculous plot I've ever seen in a movie filled with about 1000 cliches. Just lol. If you like good movie making this is a must see.