Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The only reason to make a "cheap Jew" joke (to pick a racist stereotype at random) is that you're at least somewhat antisemitic. And only anti-semites think it's "funny".
    Ridiculous. If you believe that you have to believe killing people in video games makes you a closet murderer. If I put a novel full of stereotypical jokes in front of you and made you read every single one it would make you no more racist than you are currently. Stereotypes are a cornerstone of observational humour, and don't just apply to minorities or even people. If you tell a joke about the state of in-flight meals everyone even tangentially tied to the company, by rights, should be offended even if they had nothing to do with the preparing of the food and the teller of the joke has an irrational hate for airline companies. This is the reality you envision for minorities. Fortunately, not everyone has trouble separating fantasy from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    If someone makes a joke, and it's clearly a joke, why do some people decide to take it seriously?
    The comedian isn't as funny as they think they are, and/or the audience is more sensitive than they think they are. Usually a combination of both.

In short, Poe's Law. It's impossible to tell the difference between someone being extreme because the extremeness is funny to them, and an actual extremist.

Additionally, a lot of jokes are explicitly offensive (ones based on mocking race/gender, for instance), and they're only "funny" to those who are bigoted against those groups. The only reason to make a "cheap Jew" joke (to pick a racist stereotype at random) is that you're at least somewhat antisemitic. And only anti-semites think it's "funny".
    This is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. Most people who tell jokes (especially when they are insulting) don't actually believe what they are saying. They say it because it is silly, unexpected, or dumb, and that makes it funny (to some people).

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's because I'm always 110% serious.
    110% shitlord maybe.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well of course context matters (and in the case of most comedians of course we know it's probably a joke because it's their job).

But outside of that, most of the time when I hear someone say something shitty about someone else and then say, "Oh, learn to take a joke." it's just because they know they're being shitty but they're too afraid to just own up to it when called out.
    Right, and I don't think people are disputing that if you say something horrible and back it up with "oh lighten up!" that it probably wasn't funny. Jokes aren't really jokes if you're trying to hurt the person you're directing the joke at and say something mean spirited. What Endus wrote sounds like he just blankets everybody with the bigot label if they make any observational/stereotyped jokes about people. Since that's actually a hellllllllllll of a lot of comedy, it sounds very "offended on your behalf". I imagine most people going to any not-so-family-friendly comedian's set know they're going to get some things that cut it quite close and will know it's not to be taken to heart.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-03-31 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    This is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. Most people who tell jokes (especially when they are insulting) don't actually believe what they are saying. They say it because it is silly, unexpected, or dumb, and that makes it funny (to some people).
    This. In fact, sometimes the more ridiculous and impossible a statement, the more prone I am to laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the joke and the audience.

Telling a gang rape victim "do you know what? Statistically 9 out of 10 people likes gang rape", some may find it funny, but she won't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    What example would you give? I can only think of ones that rely on things like "black people are this way..." or "jews are cheap" or something like stereotypical like that.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the essence of ethnic jokes. You take a supposed "trait" of a certain ethnic group and blow it out of proportion.

I was speaking in general terms by the way, I'm not that keen on these types of jokes either. Not because I find them offensive, but because they're played out and boring to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Because being offended is the hip new thing to be, or something.
    Believe or not, some people DO get genuinely offended by things, and not just to be cool!
    Shocking, right?
    That said, the offender in question has no obligation to give a shit that I'm offended. (Outside of website rules and such, duh)

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    110% shitlord maybe.
    No, that's 200%. Gotta give it double my all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much the essence of ethnic jokes. You take a supposed "trait" of a certain ethnic group and blow it out of proportion.

I was speaking in general terms by the way, I'm not that keen on these types of jokes either. Not because I find them offensive, but because they're played out and boring to me.
    I think the term ethnic makes people think of anything BUT white in our culture, which is admittedly weird. I legitimately like it when comedians make fun of white people. I find it often hits pretty close to home. Guess I'm a bigot, or I just don't take myself too seriously

(I'm gonna go with the latter)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Believe or not, some people DO get genuinely offended by things, and not just to be cool!
    Shocking, right?
    That said, the offender in question has no obligation to give a shit that I'm offended. (Outside of website rules and such, duh)
    I'm glad you understand the last part though. Offense is a two way street; offender and offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Right, and I don't think people are disputing that if you say something horrible and back it up with "oh lighten up!" that it probably wasn't funny. Jokes aren't really jokes if you're trying to hurt the person you're directing the joke at and say something mean spirited. What Endus wrote sounds like he just blankets everybody with the bigot label if they make any observational/stereotyped jokes about people. Since that's actually a hellllllllllll of a lot of comedy, it sounds very "offended on your behalf". I imagine most people going to any not-so-family-friendly comedian's set know they're going to get some things that cut it quite close and will know it's not to be taken to heart.
    Well said.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Special thanks to Visenna for the sig!

Cause comedy is a skill that needs to be respected!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I'm glad you understand the last part though. Offense is a two way street; offender and offended.
    Hmmm... I disagree with this. I believe offense only includes the offended we you are talking about jokes.

Because people nowadays are sensitive twats, who look for reasons to be offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Hmmm... I disagree with this. I believe offense only includes the offended we you are talking about jokes.
    It takes two to tango. The offense may not have been intended, but it didn't necessarily come out of nowhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    In short, Poe's Law. It's impossible to tell the difference between someone being extreme because the extremeness is funny to them, and an actual extremist.

Additionally, a lot of jokes are explicitly offensive (ones based on mocking race/gender, for instance), and they're only "funny" to those who are bigoted against those groups. The only reason to make a "cheap Jew" joke (to pick a racist stereotype at random) is that you're at least somewhat antisemitic. And only anti-semites think it's "funny".
    Norwegians have a lot of jokes about Swedes, and some Swedes I've met knew several about Norwegians - yet there are no hard feelings between those groups at all.

The claim that people only make jokes about groups they are bigoted against is ridiculous and unsubstantiated, seems like a shitty way to rally social consequences towards someone to silence them just because you personally take offense.

In the bolded part you're putting a lot of really offensive labels on a lot of people based on.. What? Guessing?
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-03-31 at 10:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Norwegians have a lot of jokes about Swedes, and some Swedes I've met knew several about Norwegians - yet there are no hard feelings between those groups at all.

The claim that people only make jokes about groups they are bigoted against is ridiculous and unsubstantiated, seems like a shitty way to rally social consequences towards someone to silence them just because you personally take offense.

In the bolded part you're putting a lot of really offensive labels on a lot of people based on.. What? Guessing?
    Shut up you norwegian, you don't even know how to put in light bulbs in lamps properly!

10+ Year Old Account
    Either their sense of humor is horrible and they take things way too seriously or it's just a really bad joke. Like for me, it would take a really REALLY bad joke for me not to at least make a giggle. It may not be the most funny thing in the world to me but I will still at least smile and do a "hehe" just so I don't make it an awkward situation and feel bad for the person making the joke. I know how that feels.

The way I see it, if you're not laughing, you're not living.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe