Sith Juggernaught - PvE/RPG, but what spec?

So I've just booted this up again, mainly to experience some of the storylines I missed the first time around (played all of IA and about half of BH, I'm an imperial4lyfe kind of guy).

I play Tank in WoW so wanted to pick one of the tank classes, ended with a Sith Jugg and liking my time so far (only level 11).

But I'm torn on what spec to play. I know that I basically want to play this as an RPG but I also love tanking and if I was going to do dungeons as I level would probably want to tank them.

So what's my question?

Well I'm wondering what spec I should level in. I hear Rage is PvP so thought Vengeance would probably be a smart move for levelling, but worry that I picked the tank class only to play a dps spec - which seems kind of redundant.

Can you tank as a jug when you're not immortal spec? Is levelling as immortal noticeably slower/less interesting?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    So I've just booted this up again, mainly to experience some of the storylines I missed the first time around (played all of IA and about half of BH, I'm an imperial4lyfe kind of guy).

I play Tank in WoW so wanted to pick one of the tank classes, ended with a Sith Jugg and liking my time so far (only level 11).

But I'm torn on what spec to play. I know that I basically want to play this as an RPG but I also love tanking and if I was going to do dungeons as I level would probably want to tank them.

So what's my question?

Well I'm wondering what spec I should level in. I hear Rage is PvP so thought Vengeance would probably be a smart move for levelling, but worry that I picked the tank class only to play a dps spec - which seems kind of redundant.

Can you tank as a jug when you're not immortal spec? Is levelling as immortal noticeably slower/less interesting?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    With the revamp to the talent system, it's best to level in the spec you actually want to play as. So if you like tanking, and want to tank while leveling, you need to use the actual tanking talent tree. Otherwise you'll be seriously gimping yourself, especially once you get past the first few flashpoints. You'll also really start to piss your healer off when are you taking a fuckton of damage because you thought it would be fun to try tanking in a dps spec. The new talent system really discourages playing a role outside of whatever kind of spec you picked (Bioware hated hybrid builds and this was their way to kill them....by forcing you to pick one and only one spec to play as at a time and making sure you are actually fulfilling that role).

Leveling as a tank will get you through FP queues much faster (obviously) but you will be able to quest/solo much faster as a Vengeance Jugg because quest mobs will die a lot faster. So basically, take your pick. If you want to level mainly though FPs and do the main storyline quests as you level, then tank would be good. If you want to do a lot of planet/side questing with a few FPs sprinkled in, then level as a dps spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    With the revamp to the talent system, it's best to level in the spec you actually want to play as.

Leveling as a tank will get you through FP queues much faster (obviously) but you will be able to quest/solo much faster as a Vengeance Jugg because quest mobs will die a lot faster. So basically, take your pick. If you want to level mainly though FPs and do the main storyline quests as you level, then tank would be good. If you want to do a lot of planet/side questing with a few FPs sprinkled in, then level as a dps spec.
    I assume this is only really true if you want to do so while levelling, ie. once you are max you can respec to tank and everything is fine?

I also assume you mean queue as dps for FPs if you are spec veng (last line is a little ambiguous).

What are costs involved in respeccing anyway? Extensive? I assume there is no dual spec?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    I assume this is only really true if you want to do so while levelling, ie. once you are max you can respec to tank and everything is fine?

I also assume you mean queue as dps for FPs if you are spec veng (last line is a little ambiguous).

What are costs involved in respeccing anyway? Extensive? I assume there is no dual spec?

Thanks for your help.
    There is no cost to respec for subs, but there may be for F2P. You can unlock field respec in your legacy, but it's not true dual spec. It's better in that you can spec whatever you want whenever you want, but worse in that you need to redo your keybindings each time. Fortunately there are usually only a few ability changes between specs.

You can respec and everything is fine. It's just like WoW. You don't need to level as a tank to tank at end game, but you will need to spec Immortal to tank FPs at max level. Tanking as veng for lowbie stuff is possible, but it's ultimately going to depend on your healer. I've run into very few pug healers I trust in SWTOR, so try it at your own risk.

I actually recently leveled my guardian (jugg) as tank from 26-41. It's pretty quick. Immortal tanks get a lot of decent dps talents low in the tree and at 26 Crushing Blow will really let you plow through groups of mobs. I found once I hit ~41 it was faster to level as Rage, but Immortal is still more than viable. If you want to level as a tank do it. It's pretty quick until probably 45+.

Rage is on the weak end for end-game play, but it's more than fine for leveling. The auto-crits on smash/raging burst make it quite effective at bursting down weak packs of mobs quickly. I wouldn't bother with veng until you're 57. At 57 you really need to go vengeance. Just use vengeful slam once and you'll understand.
    Last edited by Treeba; 2015-04-02 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    There is no cost to respec for subs, but there may be for F2P. You can unlock field respec in your legacy, but it's not true dual spec. It's better in that you can spec whatever you want whenever you want, but worse in that you need to redo your keybindings each time. Fortunately there are usually only a few ability changes between specs.

You can respec and everything is fine. It's just like WoW. You don't need to level as a tank to tank at end game, but you will need to spec Immortal to tank FPs at max level. Tanking as veng for lowbie stuff is possible, but it's ultimately going to depend on your healer. I've run into very few pug healers I trust in SWTOR, so try it at your own risk.

I actually recently leveled my guardian (jugg) as tank from 26-41. It's pretty quick. Immortal tanks get a lot of decent dps talents low in the tree and at 26 Crushing Blow will really let you plow through groups of mobs. I found once I hit ~41 it was faster to level as Rage, but Immortal is still more than viable. If you want to level as a tank do it. It's pretty quick until probably 45+.

Rage is on the weak end for end-game play, but it's more than fine for leveling. The auto-crits on smash/raging burst make it quite effective at bursting down weak packs of mobs quickly. I wouldn't bother with veng until you're 57. At 57 you really need to go vengeance. Just use vengeful slam once and you'll understand.
    So, to paraphrase, you are suggesting that immortal/rage is best for levelling and veng only for very late levelling or endgame pve dps?

If that's the case I probably will respec immortal, I've noticed I'm a bit flimsy as veng and obviously that would correct it.

Basically.

Rage doesn't get the auto-crit passive until 36, so I'd stay Immortal until then at the earliest. Somewhere between 36-41 I'd go Rage and you can play Rage until max level. If you're really liking Immortal stay Immortal. You can use a dps companion to speed the killing up.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have 3 Juggs and 2 Guardians atm (which are exactly the same classes moveset wise) I've leveled 2 as Tanks (1 Immortal/1 Defense) I leveled the other 3 as DPS (2 Veng/1 Vigilance) Once 60 I also play the DPS Toons as Rage/Focus at times because both are pretty great specs at 60.

You do level slightly faster as a DPS but you can take harder challenges Solo as Immortal and can get insta-queues and such.

Also Don't think of Juggernaut as a "Tank" class. Their DPS is actually one of the highest in the game. Much like Warriors in WoW that never Tank and always play Arms or Fury, you can be a Jugg and never touch the Tank tree and still be using the class to its fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Also Don't think of Juggernaut as a "Tank" class. Their DPS is actually one of the highest in the game. Much like Warriors in WoW that never Tank and always play Arms or Fury, you can be a Jugg and never touch the Tank tree and still be using the class to its fullest.
    Tank class, by my interpretation, is a class with the ability to tank. I don't bring any judgements about potential for other roles to the table due to that, I'm just fairly clear that it is a class with the ability to tank as I enjoy tanking.

For leveling you want strong aoe damage to get rid of the standard and weak mobs in 1-2 GCD's. Rage and Immortal both provide that. The the lower damage output from Immortal is negated easily if you use a dps companion. Rage/Veng should use a healing companion or you will have some downtime in between pulls to heal up. Another advantage when leveling as tank is that you can solo many H2 missions (when you get your cc abilities or with healing companion).

Tip: get Treek ASAP - best tank/heal companion in game.

Deleted
    I always played immortal jug with jessa as my companion. Leveled to 50, then to 55 and now I'm 57 going strong. The key point of this combo is Jes is a very strong dpser if you gear her. You need to consider that you dont have 12 slots you have 24 (or however many there are I forget) and HER weapon is more important then yours. We are both rocking customable raid sets I got from storymode dread palaces with some 72 bits and some of the older 6* stuff.

If this is your first time in SWTOR I have to warn you tanking is alot harder then in wow. If your an experienced tank though I think you will enjoy it and I defo reccomend the tank spec for leveling. Its alot of fun and I never felt slow.

I leveled as Rage with Treek as my companion from level 10 and absolutely loved it, things die so fast it's incredible (especially groups of non elite mobs) and it's practically impossible for me to die with Treek as healer AND tank with me monitoring both of our health and taunting when she gets low... which is VERY rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I leveled as Rage with Treek as my companion from level 10 and absolutely loved it, things die so fast it's incredible (especially groups of non elite mobs) and it's practically impossible for me to die with Treek as healer AND tank with me monitoring both of our health and taunting when she gets low... which is VERY rarely.
    Treek is such an amazing companion its insane. That little Ewok is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by nightgerbil View Post
    If this is your first time in SWTOR I have to warn you tanking is alot harder then in wow. If your an experienced tank though I think you will enjoy it and I defo reccomend the tank spec for leveling. Its alot of fun and I never felt slow.
    Yeah, those pesky Marauders make a tanks life much more difficult