Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by HowlingMoon View Post
    I suggest keeping Windows 8.1 and installing an application like Start8 or Classic Shell. It will give Windows 8.1 a normal start menu and taskbar without any clunky metro interface.
    What this person said. Start 8 has made Windows 8 amazing! I Will never go back to Windows 7 thanks to Start 8. Furthermore, Windows 10 is coming out sometime this year and its looking pretty sweet. I don't think I'll even need Start 8 for that.

I don't think there is a real reliable way to downgrade to Win7 without a full format of the installation drive.

Things is though. I don't know why you would. Windows 8.1 is practically superior in nearly every way; speed, performance, reliability.

Only issue it the interface, but there are ways to get around it.
    I personally got quickly used to the metro interface of the start menu; but that's because I didn't really use the start menu that much before. I mostly launch my applications from the quick start buttons on the taskbar. Since the metro start-menu is basically an extension of that I actually don't mind it as much. If you delete all the apps and put some programs and folders and organize it a bit, it's almost "not bad".

That said, like other here mentioned; there are easy ways to get the old start menu back. And once you do. Windows 8 isn't any different than Windows 7, other than having a better operating system. It even helps games. I think some benchmarks were done after 8.1 came out and it showed that it boosted some games' performance with up to 20%.

EDIT: I think a better question to ask is: Why did you buy a laptop without an SSD for gods sake. That's a mistake you're going to regret for a good while.
    An SSD is pretty much a must these days IMO. It's can be pricy, but it offers a far more noticeable performance increase (and Quality of Life increase) than any other piece of hardware you can put in there.
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2015-04-01 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    O.o

You did read the whole topic right?
    and you read the post i answered to ? :>

A few months ago I might have suggested Windows 7, but for now put up with 8.1

Windows 10 isn't that far off and will be a free upgrade from Windows 7 and 8

Hopefully that will be great

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Yeah that's not going to happen.
    I thought that too but after my work computer got upgraded I got used to it because I had to. I really did not want to but I did. Now that I am used to it I actually prefer it. I recently did new builds for wife and I so got copies for it too. It takes a bit, but you'd be surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    and you read the post i answered to ? :>
    Yeah, everyone did. Did you read the whole topic though? Specifically the part where Windows 8.1 has better performance all around, including up to a 20% increase in some games? No reason to hang on to 7 with things like Classic Shell and Start8 out there. No reason at all.

Windows 8.1 with classic shell and charms bar disabled>windows 7>windows 8.1 without classic shell.
    Windows 7 is great but you will probably run into driver issues.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I love these posts.

You havent a clue because you can get past a start button.

Windows 7 is dated and old.
    Also perfectly usable without unecessary hoops and loops to impress mobile bullshitters.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who thinks both Windows 7 and 8.1 are decent? Just me? Well, I guess I'll go and sit in the corner.

Deleted
    Windows 7 does not outperform Windows 8.1 in any way, I don't understand why you'd want to downgrade to it.

I would stick with Windows 8.1 for a few reasons. First you get a free update to Windows 10 on release. Second you can add the start menu back with either a paid program or a free program that even can boot to desktop. Realistically after this is done there isn't much difference one way or the other except you have and updated OS and that will continue to be updated. Also Microsoft is not releasing DirectX 12 for Window 7 so if you will need it once released, you are SOL. For the start menu look up these and decide which one you like best: Classic Shell (free), Anvi OneStart (free), start8 (paid app from stardock) It simply doesn't make sense when it works just fine when you solve the start menu issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Also perfectly usable without unecessary hoops and loops to impress mobile bullshitters.
    If you consider up to 20% loss in performance over 8.1 in some games and applications perfectly usable, sure, I guess it is perfectly usable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks both Windows 7 and 8.1 are decent? Just me? Well, I guess I'll go and sit in the corner.
    Decent? Yeah, I'd call them both decent, neither are great. 8.1 has increased performance, 7 doesn't feel wonky. They both have their issues. When it comes down to it though, performance is king and 8.1 outperforms 7 all over the place. I can fix what I don't like about 8.1 easily. I can't just make Windows 7 use less RAM and other system resources.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's sad to see that some people on this "Windows 8 hate" bandwagon and after all this time they still have yet to get off.

There's no reason to choose 7 over 8.1 at this point in time when you consider that they cost about the same. Debate over.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    It's sad to see that some people on this "Windows 8 hate" bandwagon and after all this time they still have yet to get off.

There's no reason to choose 7 over 8.1 at this point in time when you consider that they cost about the same. Debate over.
    The best part is the hate is centered around the interface. Which is easily fixed.

I've been using 8 since launch. Interface and all. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    The best part is the hate is centered around the interface. Which is easily fixed.

I've been using 8 since launch. Interface and all. Love it.
    Yeah, the interface only takes a little while to get used to and once you do it's actually kinda hard to go back. People fear/dislike change though, so it is completely understandable. I just don't think most people realize that Microsoft already put a desktop back in(with 8.1 I think) and it already acts more like 7 with just that. Add in Classic Shell/Start8 and your golden. It's just people not wanting change, which is in our nature. I admit, it took me a bit to get over it and the change was a little brutal, it's fine now though.

The good news is the start menu is back in windows X, so I am looking forward it. So far from what I have seen, things look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, the interface only takes a little while to get used to and once you do it's actually kinda hard to go back. People fear/dislike change though, so it is completely understandable. I just don't think most people realize that Microsoft already put a desktop back in(with 8.1 I think) and it already acts more like 7 with just that. Add in Classic Shell/Start8 and your golden. It's just people not wanting change, which is in our nature. I admit, it took me a bit to get over it and the change was a little brutal, it's fine now though.
    This is true and the part I don't understand. I love change. I love when games evolve, especially MMO's. I have no issues moving from one thing to the next. I get bored otherwise.

Deleted
    Hadn't heard about Classic Shell before popping in to this thread. Downloaded it for my 8.1 OS and it's really great!

I didn't really have any issues with the 8.1 interface to begin with but this just improved on it. I wouldn't want to go back to memory hogging Win 7 any time soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    8.1 is technically better than 7 in every possible way you could try to compare them.
    Don't like the interface? That's windows, you can easily change it back to normal start menu style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't pay money to go to Windows 7, Windows 10 is approaching with Microsoft having stated they are going to do a full launch of it sometime during the summer, which is a free upgrade for everyone on 7 and 8.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    No, I'm here too.

I installed 8.1 Pro and I've honestly not looked back. I never use the Metro interface, and I don't get these people that act like you have to.

Right clicking on the window button to bring up a more in-depth 'start' menu is pretty nice.

Most of the people flaming Windows 8/8.1, won't admit it, but have probably not once used it.

It's faster, feels more stable, (I've not had it have any issues, where 7 did have its issues, for sure) and is just overall a better experience. Also, native multimonitor support and the like? Wonderful.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water