Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I wish we were more mortal

Especially the faction leaders and NPCs.

Thrall - some shaman born a slave and self taught somehow manages to rival the powers of the ancient elementals.

Khadgar - hey what's this abrogator stone and tablet from another world? First time seeing them, no matter, I'll make godly items out of it. zap zap done! easy!

Both of the above also able to commune and merge magic with all of the dragonflights and immortal beings, or wield artifacts they've only just found or made... makes them some demigods

Grom - thrown around like ragdoll by immortal daemonlords then one shots one with an axe swing

Then there's us. Some schmuck who has no childhood memories and wakes up half naked as a fully grown adult skinning wolves on day 1 to a legendary killing machine the next. A little down the line we're the most baddass entity in the 3 known worlds to the point that our own playable races are the top raid bosses.

IMO I had more fun when I was mortal and was threatened by the demons, magic no one understood, old gods and elements which were threatening. Where even their minor minions could end my life - rare dragons, elite dragonkin and elementals which took a large party of people to face just one. That was fun. Being able to solo everything outside of raids, where we raid our own races is not...

When you dumb it down to that, sure. Thrall wasn't only self taught though, Drek(?) taught him in Outlands.

Khadgar also quite clearly says he needs time to translate the tablets, and that's why you got the book and other things for him you know.

Warcraft has always been closer to Marvel comic books than most other high fantasy universes.

Ever since Warcraft 3, Blizzard has scrapped any sense of realism or danger, and it's probably what keeps Warcraft unique right now, with all those MMOs and RPGs out there going for the darker themes.

Badass heroes with big weapons and shiny plot armor slaying neverending threats with no other motivation than being the bad guys.

Admittedly, they still try to add some darkness and depth to some characters and events, but the main story arc is usually fairly simple and light-hearted.

AFAIK Drek was just some blind shaman who taught Thrall the way of being a shaman. Not the ability to perform godly dragonslaying artifact wielding powers without any prior knowledge of what that stuff even does

Khadgar also is a 1 man self taught powerhouse. If I gave you a book of a random language of my choice or even a language that isnt being used anymore and said translate this, could you? I dont think anyone can solo it, nor can they use it to make anything worthwhile from it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Warcraft has always been closer to Marvel comic books than most other high fantasy universes.

Ever since Warcraft 3, Blizzard has scrapped any sense of realism or danger, and it's probably what keeps Warcraft unique right now, with all those MMOs and RPGs out there going for the darker themes.

Badass heroes with big weapons and shiny plot armor slaying neverending threats with no other motivation than being the bad guys.

Admittedly, they still try to add some darkness and depth to some characters and events, but the main story arc is usually fairly simple and light-hearted.
    Back then their source of power was somewhat explained though.

Guldan at least is from Sargeras --> KJ --> Him so his source of power is reasonable.
    Chogall gets what he has from Guldan
    Illidan gets what he has from the Skull of Chogall & Eye of Sargeras + well of eternity
    All of which have immortal demonic influences

Thrall just is
    Khadgar just is
    Grom/Garrosh just lift

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    AFAIK Drek was just some blind shaman who taught Thrall the way of being a shaman. Not the ability to perform godly dragonslaying artifact wielding powers without any prior knowledge of what that stuff even does

Khadgar also is a 1 man self taught powerhouse. If I gave you a book of a random language of my choice or even a language that isnt being used anymore and said translate this, could you? I dont think anyone can solo it, nor can they use it to make anything worthwhile from it
    Khadgar learned everything from Medivh though, and I'm pretty sure one of the books he said did use a language he already knew. It's not that big of a deal.
    Thrall with the Dragon Soul though was...yeah.

Deleted
    Ye the 4 dragon aspects who made the dragon soul with their very life essence totally didnt give thrall any heads up on what to expect from it while we were busy killing off the bosses prior to deathwing. Alexstrasza in particular has first hand experience in how mortals deal with the dragon soul. Thrall also has a history with enslavement, so he was unlikely to use the dragon soul to enslave the dragons aspects. On top of that hes a proven shaman with a strong connection to the earth, similar to neltharion, so hes prolly one of the better choices to give it a try. It's important to remember that the dragons warded the dragon soul so no dragon can use it, so they needed a mortal who wouldn't be utterly crushed by the energies the dragon soul possesses.

In the book the last guardian it's also explained how khadgar has a talent for figuring out secrets etc, and how he casually uses magic to gain knowledge. he doesn't actually read books, he uses the book as a conduit to the authors mind to "experience" the writers thoughts/memories. So he can just interpret the rituals etc without needing to know the entire language perse.

On a unrelated note, does anyone know how khadgar de-aged himself?
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-04-02 at 02:32 AM.

I agree with the OP.
    What really kills my "immersion" in WoW's pve is that we (adventurers) currently have a winning streak of 9999 to 0.

We NEVER lost against anyone.
    We (players) beat every boss, every god, every demon in every situation.

It kinda feels gimmicky when OldGods/BurningLegion/Whatever start their assault once again, feeling very confident even though they lost the last 99 fights against us...

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's make characters die permanently. Too many wipes in mythic difficulty kills characters forever. That'll make you feel mortal.

How to solve your problem:

Step one: Avoid playing over-the-top fantasy games.

Done.

Just keeding =P But seriously, sometimes if you wish some form of entertainement was completly different from its core to match your taste, you're just investing in the wrong francise.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2015-04-02 at 03:11 AM.

I miss games like the Myth series where you really felt like an insignificant gnat compared to the evil side, you were against overwhelming odds, and where every victory was hard-won and your own side has also suffered huge losses.

Inb4 someone tells me to raid Mythic. This is not about difficulty but how story is told. WoD has been one huge roflstomp of the Iron Horde from the very beginning. No threat, no danger, nothing at all. Just crushing the orcs left and right and laughing at how hard they fail.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post

We lost to Lich King. He killed us all, Tirion killed him, and King Terenas rezz'd us.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the OP.
    What really kills my "immersion" in WoW's pve is that we (adventurers) currently have a winning streak of 9999 to 0.

It kinda feels gimmicky when OldGods/BurningLegion/Whatever start their assault once again, feeling very confident even though they lost the last 99 fights against us...
    we lost to the lich king. Tyrion stole the kill on that one.

EDIT: Just scrolled a little and noticed someone else had pointed that out. Oops

7+ Year Old Account
    We lost Vashj'ir, badly.
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Y

Its amazing what a haircut and a shave can do lol

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    Thrall - some shaman born a slave and self taught somehow manages to rival the powers of the ancient elementals.
    I think Thrall will die only if / when Metzen decides to bid his farewell.

Are you seeking logic in a world where you have 200+ mounts inside your belt and can swing a sword and hit a dragon with 20 yards between said things?
    he he..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

I agree with the OP.

Well, raids, we generally win. The losses usually happen in the questing zones - Vashj'ir, Shadowmoon Valley (both), Talador, etc. Wouldn't make much sense to lose raids since it's almost always the raiders vs. the boss. In questing areas it's usually players + lore figure NPCs vs. bad guys, and a loss means the NPCs die.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Aegwynn also de-aged herself, but she was a guardian, so.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2015-04-07 at 04:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to imagine we're slowly transcending mortality on the quest to attain titanic power. I see no other way we can ever stand against the Burning Legion and actually make some progress towards beating them. Otherwise they'll just be this infinite cosmic army raining down on us forever and ever and ever and ever..

..and that's boring.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    we lost to the lich king. Tyrion stole the kill on that one.

EDIT: Just scrolled a little and noticed someone else had pointed that out. Oops
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    We lost to Lich King. He killed us all, Tirion killed him, and King Terenas rezz'd us.
    No we did not. We almost did but in the end we still won that is why arthas died the new LK does nothing and we are alive killing other things.

We lost in vashj'ir because we failed to save neptulon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Well, raids, we generally win. The losses usually happen in the questing zones - Vashj'ir, Shadowmoon Valley (both), Talador, etc. Wouldn't make much sense to lose raids since it's almost always the raiders vs. the boss. In questing areas it's usually players + lore figure NPCs vs. bad guys, and a loss means the NPCs die.

Aegwynn also de-aged herself, but she was a guardian, so.
    Well Khadgar does have Atiesh now... but that itself is the real mystery.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."