Struggling with motivation

Hi there,

So, as the topic states I'm REALLY struggling to find motivation to continue the warlock Journey.
    I have only raided With a warlock this current expansion (raided as feral druid before) but i just cant seem to get comfortable With the warlock.

First off the reason I rerolled is I wanted to try out the ranged aspect of the raiding scene and thought that the affliction warlock is as close as I can get to a feral druid in playstyle. But now that affliction is currently "Garbage" and not even close to keeping up with demnology (wich is a specc i despise) I have run into abit of a problem.
    First of all the specc, when i played it through HM felt really slow compared to what im used to, and I started feeling "tired" or sleepy during raids.

What i'm asking and wondering about is, HOW do you find motivation to go on? Have you ever been in a similar situation?

Sorry for what I Guess is horrible English and a hard read, but im desperate for tips.

My best shadowy and Deadly wishes

7+ Year Old Account
    First time poster - long time creeper here,

Just a little background - I first started playing my lock back in MoP during HoF, but since vanilla I've been absolutely fascinated with the theme/idea behind warlocks. They are the anti-hero. They are the men and women who have allowed themselves to be corrupted by the very thing they are trying to destroy - to use the weapon of the enemy against itself.

None of that is the actual reason that I picked up the lock - I did it simply because my raid needed a warlock. So, I took up the mantle of the dark hero and during MoP I had a blast. There were some ups (major ups - ending on a massive note with SoO) and some downs, but all in all I had a lot of fun.

Enter Warlords... okay, so I want start off by saying that when I saw the changes I didn't freak out. I had faith that everything would be okay and for the most part everything has been okay. I would agree there has been a slowdown w/ the specs, but I think that will change when more gear comes our way. That all said, I have to agree, sometimes I find myself getting a little drained while playing my warlock, but I think it is more boredom/burnout.

So, why do I stick with my warlock? To be honest I think it is more the fluff, transmog, and I don't have the same aversion to demonology that you do and I don't think that affliction is as "garbage" as everyone is making it sound (I do not have any #s to back this up - it's just a feeling that I have) and if it is I'm sure it will see a buff or two in the future. I'm also switching specs - destro, demo, and affliction every so often to keep things fresh. Heck - just changing talents can change how you play - the other night I switched to demonbolt (yes, I know it was nerfed), why? Because I wanted to play demo and wanted to change things up a bit.

**A note, I do not raid w/ a hardcore guild - I run a pretty casual group that is still making our way through H-BRF, so I can get away with playing a slightly sub-optimal spec.**

TLDR - I'm sure we all have gone / are going through the same issues. I stick around because I like all three specs (not what they used to be, but I'm still having fun with it) and I switch between them to keep things fresh. Oh, and we look great (best looking gear in the game imo) and our fluff is awesome!

I hope that this helps and if not - just remember, it's just a game. Play what you want and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Slexx View Post
    What i'm asking and wondering about is, HOW do you find motivation to go on?
    I am motivated to go on because I like the class. Nothing anyone says is going to make someone like or dislike a class more as it is all personal preference.

Deleted
    I drop motivation whatever other class i play except warlock:P i gear up all my alts to 680ish atm then its booring. But demo is just perfect. High movement and a nice combination of burst aoe and cleave dps.

get ranks. don't pad dps on fights where it's a detriment to your raid's success, but since you feel that affliction is slow, that in a sense implies that you have more time to think while you play and therefore should be able to play with as few mistakes as possible.

that's just how i feel when i raid though. ultimately raiding to me is just performing at my absolute potential. downing bosses is always nice, but truth be told, all i care about is playing absolutely perfectly. even if i wipe, if i know i played as close to my spec's full potential as i could, i'm happy. class/spec doesn't matter. obviously you might not feel this way, but it's certainly what keeps me interested in raiding. end of the day, i'm playing against a scripted computer. i enjoy planning my movement/cds ahead of time (and this can range from thinking ahead of time in 10 second increments in response to procs or planning bigger 3 min cds before the fight even begins).
    Last edited by wombats23; 2015-04-02 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    I am motivated to go on because I like the class. Nothing anyone says is going to make someone like or dislike a class more as it is all personal preference.
    Exactly this, I simply like the Warlock; its playstyle, flavour and everything else. Come nerf or buff I'll keep playing this class.

Slexx, to be honest, it sounds like the class simply isn't for you. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it sounds like you really don't enjoy it.

I had the same feeling when I finally got a rogue to max level during MoP. I did enough raids to understand the class and... got bored during raids, dozing off exactly like you described and figured that I find the class boring. The mechanics and playstyle are simply not enjoyable to me.

Try a couple more raids and if that same feeling persists, honestly, try a different class. No point in playing a class if you don't have fun doing it.

Like others have already said it's personal preference in my opinion. You either connect or you don't (though that can change with time). Sounds a bit like a love affair but I think basically that is what it is.

Affliction is not garbage in my opinion and will do you well on several bosses but yes indeed it is rather a simple (even boring for some) spec post snap-shotting. Being a pure class if you want to perform ultimately then I think that you have to be willing to play 2 specs to be more rounded or you have to accept that you may do poorly on certain fights. Though saying that Demo performs well on them all; just a shame that you hate it. Have you really tried it? Until you know the spec inside out I would say Demo has a lot higher skill cap and takes planning ahead and hence you cannot even consider sleeping if you wish to do well. What about Destro then? It can make a nice pairing to Affliction and it is quite a different flavour.

Otherwise maybe Warlock is just not the one for you. Or maybe even casters are not for you however there are many other options. What about Boomy for a start? Though personally I find it a bit uninspiring (read tired in raids as well) many others enjoy it immensely. Have you considered a mage?
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2015-04-02 at 11:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the class, like the theme and we're pretty good nowadays (almost always were one way or another anyway), Demonology is a little overimposing, Destruction is a bit lagging here and there and Affliction is pretty weak except for some very isolated cases, but really as a 9 years Warlock player I can easily guarantee that even in WoD things will swing wildly and maybe in 6.2 Afflction will be FoTM and Demo trash or maybe Destro will be king. Such things swing wildly almost every major patch.

As for you, gameplay most probably won't change much during this expansion save for some odd tier bonus and even then it will be same-ish. If you don't like gameplay, then don't play Warlock really. But is that truly the case? Are you sure you are not just being sad because your favorite spec does not produce the digits you desire?

Hey guys and thanks for all the comments,

I know it swings from each patch to another, but after playing around with both destruction and affliction through HM and now been playing only demo in BRF im starting to get the feel for the class.
    What im not sure about is honestly the way it feels, I know the game and all speccs ha been slowed down quite alot and affliction most certainly has.

Been thinking alot about it since i posted this yesterday and as some mentioned earlier it might just be the ranged playstyle i dont like, just did a brf clear and have to say it looks tempting standing back in melee. But i dont know might be just what im feeling now cause i dont particulary like demo.

Guess i just have to do some more soulsearching through BRF and decide before the new and incoming tier.

Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't find it fun then either find a different class or play another game. That's what i did until I gave up on wod completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    If you don't find it fun then either find a different class or play another game.
    Pretty much this. If you're not enjoying the class, try a different one. I've tried warlock, and wanted to enjoy it, but my druid... my GD druid is just too much fun. No one can replace him. You just need to find that sort of class for you

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Putting pathetic fanbois, white knight nitwits, and cunt anti-flyers on /ignore
    It's a game that's supposed to provide entertainment and enjoyment. You're purchasing this entertainment and enjoyment with your hard-earned money and your irreplaceable leisure time.

Don't trade these valuable commodities to engage in unpleasant chores. Unpleasant chores such as playing a WoD warlock.

And if nothing else in the game provides what you're after, quit. Blizz needs to learn how not to fuck shit up. If they lose enough business and change how they do things, you win. If they don't, then you find something to do other than WoW and you still win.

Quote Originally Posted by Slexx View Post
    Hi there,

So, as the topic states I'm REALLY struggling to find motivation to continue the warlock Journey.
    I have only raided With a warlock this current expansion (raided as feral druid before) but i just cant seem to get comfortable With the warlock.

First off the reason I rerolled is I wanted to try out the ranged aspect of the raiding scene and thought that the affliction warlock is as close as I can get to a feral druid in playstyle. But now that affliction is currently "Garbage" and not even close to keeping up with demnology (wich is a specc i despise) I have run into abit of a problem.
    First of all the specc, when i played it through HM felt really slow compared to what im used to, and I started feeling "tired" or sleepy during raids.

What i'm asking and wondering about is, HOW do you find motivation to go on? Have you ever been in a similar situation?

Sorry for what I Guess is horrible English and a hard read, but im desperate for tips.

My best shadowy and Deadly wishes
    Affliction plays nothing like feral. You could translate bleeds to dots but that's where the similarities end. You're spending alot of time channeling drain soul. It's a slow spec. Warlocks got an overhaul in MoP and drew tons of people to the class based on that. But that doesn't mean you have to like it. You have 2 strikes against it. You hate one of the specs, and the other spec puts you to sleep. And honestly, if you are just going to play destro, it's not worth it. Try another class. It's pretty clear that it's not for you.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Journey over here