Order of events with the Iron Horde's Grimrail?

The description of the Grimrail Depot dungeon is that it is bringing armament to destroy Shattrath's shield. Is that happening before or after its occupied by the Sargerai?

I do believe Grimrail is a lvl 100 only dungeon and iirc, the dungeon's levels indicate when in time the dungeon takes place. Hence Auchindoun and Skyreach being unlocked at same levels as their questing zones.

Nitrogg Thundertower – With a zeal for flame and explosives, Nitrogg was a natural fit in the mechanized and weaponized army that Garrosh's plans brought to Draenor, and he has risen quickly through the Iron Horde. He oversees the artillery on the Grimrail, and is eager to break through the defenses around Shattrath and conquer the enemies of the Iron Horde within.

Also, on the Operator Thogar encounter the description reads: "Known more for his cruelty and cleverness than for brute strength, Thogar oversees the operation of the Grimrail. From the Foundry’s depot, he coordinates the ongoing ground battle against the draenei in Talador, with entire battalions of troops and artillery at his beck and call."

I thought the Iron Horde was completely driven out of Talador except for their one outpost on Grom'kar?

Are these just lore inconsistencies or is there more going on behind the scenes?
    Last edited by Krazzorx; 2015-04-02 at 04:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

From the sounds of it there was an on going, major ground war going on in Talador that happened completely off screen. Kind of like how most of the Shattrath/Sargerei story happens completely off screen except the 1 garrison quest.

I hope they make some short stories to fill in these gaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    It seems that iron docks and grimrail were both supposed to happen at the same time (aka before our attack on shatt) but at some point blizz decided that giving us one more leveling dungeon would be stupid (i mean you need to number tune - who has a time for that shieeet ?) and just glued it as 100-only.

The most confusing one I find is Operator Thogar because clearly that happened after the battle of Shattrath scenario. Yet he's still sending them to Talador?

In addition to that, though we don't know exactly which occurred canonically first, shouldn't the garrison campaign ending have happened before that where Grom retreats behind the gates to Tanaan? That ending to me has a lot of "odd" parts to it, feels like they switched the story around and didn't change that ending as it also makes the infiltrating and spying on Gul'dan in what should've been a conquered Grom'kar. (And Grom hiding behind the walls)
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    The most confusing one I find is Operator Thogar because clearly that happened after the battle of Shattrath scenario. Yet he's still sending them to Talador?

In addition to that, though we don't know exactly which occurred canonically first, shouldn't the garrison campaign ending have happened before that where Grom retreats behind the gates to Tanaan? That ending to me has a lot of "odd" parts to it, feels like they switched the story around and didn't change that ending as it also makes the infiltrating and spying on Gul'dan in what should've been a conquered Grom'kar. (And Grom hiding behind the walls)
    I believe the garrison campaign ending would have concluded the Talador ground war. I think maybe BRF was delayed longer than originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I believe the garrison campaign ending would have concluded the Talador ground war. I think maybe BRF was delayed longer than originally intended.
    Even if that wasn't the case I didn't get my garrison campaign quest in nagrand till after I had killed Kargath already in Highmaul yet Kargath is present at the meeting of warlords.

Lorewise things often don't happen in the order or at the time you complete them in game it would seem.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    The description of the Grimrail Depot dungeon is that it is bringing armament to destroy Shattrath's shield. Is that happening before or after its occupied by the Sargerai?

I do believe Grimrail is a lvl 100 only dungeon and iirc, the dungeon's levels indicate when in time the dungeon takes place. Hence Auchindoun and Skyreach being unlocked at same levels as their questing zones.

Nitrogg Thundertower – With a zeal for flame and explosives, Nitrogg was a natural fit in the mechanized and weaponized army that Garrosh's plans brought to Draenor, and he has risen quickly through the Iron Horde. He oversees the artillery on the Grimrail, and is eager to break through the defenses around Shattrath and conquer the enemies of the Iron Horde within.

Also, on the Operator Thogar encounter the description reads: "Known more for his cruelty and cleverness than for brute strength, Thogar oversees the operation of the Grimrail. From the Foundry’s depot, he coordinates the ongoing ground battle against the draenei in Talador, with entire battalions of troops and artillery at his beck and call."

I thought the Iron Horde was completely driven out of Talador except for their one outpost on Grom'kar?

Are these just lore inconsistencies or is there more going on behind the scenes?
    It seems that current lore is a mishmash of the original story and timeline, and the new, revamped one, so it's disjointed and awkward at times.

I think alot of the lore about Grimrail Depot and Thogar refers to earlier plans for WoD that were scrapped and replaced (Shattrath being the final Iron Horde raid).

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I think alot of the lore about Grimrail Depot and Thogar refers to earlier plans for WoD that were scrapped and replaced (Shattrath being the final Iron Horde raid).
    That one was an extremely old idea though. It was an old idea by the time WoD was announced and it took nearly a year after announcement for it to launch. So I doubt those parts were even completed by then.

In terms of timeline, I'm fairly sure you the Grimrail train leave the Iron Docks just before you fight the Enforcers. They're receiving and shipping supplies along to the front, which you stop. In fact, it's likely the train you ride in Grimrail is the same one that departs the Iron Docks -it's literally the last one to leave before you disrupt the Iron Horde's shipping. Frankly, it feels like Blackrock Foundry should have been before Highmaul - it's introduced and visited long before you see the connection between the Ogre Empire and the Iron Horde, it's a very immediate and menacing threat (sourcing the land war in Talador), it has "lead-in" dungeons in the form of Grimrail and Docks so you have a sense of hindering their war effort directly, etc.

Especially considering the big reveal in Highmaul mythic (holy crap cho'gall WHAT ARE YOU DOING BUDDY) and the ominous foreshadowing and the whole deal with the Breakers and what-not, I feel like nailing Blackhand down first (thus clearing the bulk of the Iron Horde's manufacturing power) before you pin down and destroy the Empire (with cho'galls foreshadowing for the next content patch to look forward to).

My absolute biggest complaint is that Burial Grounds is a level 100 dungeon. In the Alliance SMV questline you do all the stuff with Velen, you defend Karabor, you drive Ner'zhul into his hole - and then, uh, you wait. Like you can literally walk up and see the dungeon portal, it's literally in a quest area you're sent to, but instead of pressing the attack you run off and do other things before coming back at 100. Cos' reasons.
    Restore 8 Health. Draw 3 cards.

Technically, Grimrail Depot & Iron Docks happen before you enter Talador, their normal versions are 92 / 93 Dungeons, hence they would be done while you're in Gorgrond.

As far the Thogar issue goes, perhaps the Iron Horde was trying to regain a foothold in Talador, i mean it's hard to tell since there is no train station in Talador but in Lore there is seemingly one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Thogar could be reinforcing Bladefury's Command in Talador, which given its importance in the Legendary questline seems like a primary Iron Horde staging ground.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Grimrail depot actualy happens in an alternate dimension, because there are no rails in Gorgrond.

Thogar's description mentions fighting the Draenei in Talador, but doesn't specify where; in northern Talador is the Iron Horde's big bad outpost, which they definitely still control in continuity while you're fighting Thogar. In all likelihood, the trains on the Grimrail are being sent there, since that area is directly accessible from Gorgrund.. When we board the Grimrail in the 5-man dungeon, strictly speaking we just destroyed one train with important cargo... but Thogar makes it abundantly clear that the Iron Horde has a lot of trains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Thogar could be reinforcing Bladefury's Command in Talador, which given its importance in the Legendary questline seems like a primary Iron Horde staging ground.
    Shame it was obliterated in garrison campaign already