View Poll Results: Is it time to replace Holinka?

Voters
144. This poll is closed
  • Yes

95 65.97%
  • No

35 24.31%
  • Maybe

14 9.72%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    But Holinka is happy with the current state of pvp. Isn't that what's most important? You guys just want way too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    And just like in the case with every other company, it's just as baseless and no moreso the manager's fault. Even when there's a problem, it's usually got nothing to do with the manager of the store - Such as a cashier's bad attitude, or being out of a certain product. Is it the manager's fault that a certain item happens to be popular? Is it the manager's fault that the cashier acted the way he did?

No, but we blame them anyway, and it's completely idiotic.
    Only a manager would speak such nonsense. You've been rumbled.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why would they fire Holinka? He's doing his job just fine. Pretty sure Blizzard as a company are not interested in giving you a perfectly balanced, PvP centric game. So why would he be given the opportunity to go against this?

Balance is in an OK spot. Will never be perfect, and that's Blizzards choice not failure on Holinka's part.

On a side note, why quotes from arena junkies? The site is filled with people who are for Holinka's execution and people comment saying they would be happy to watch etc. Doesn't seem like a bunch of people who are great thinkers.
    Last edited by ongal; 2015-04-03 at 08:27 AM.

Deleted
    This is a pve game, plain and simple, id imagine the "pvp devs" have very little influence on any aspects of pvp especially if it in any way effects pve. So it doesnt matter who is in "charge" because any pvp dev is probably just ignored, "shut up pvp guy" is probably very real in wow as well as diablo.

I enjoy pvp in this game for what it is, a side thing to kill some time between raiding.

If you play this game for pvp alone then honestly your playing the wrong game and you should really just move onto a better game, pvp has been pretty bad for 3 expansions now and they seem content to just run it into the ground now, which is why most of the top players are jumping ship now, nearly all the top pvpers i know raid, i know very little people now who just pvp.

Theres so many things broken in wow pvp even if they did get some miracle pvp dev i doubt they couild fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I am having a blast playing Ashran. It has its issues, but overall it is immensely fun.

I have been playing since Dec 2005, and I never ever did Arena nor will I ever. I believe Arena's implementation was a mistake, in that it forced people to do Arena in order to obtain high-quality PvP gear.

Now that an alternative, fast and viable method for weekly CP cap has been introduced that does not include Arena it is natural to see low Arena participation as it seems very few people enjoyed getting roflstomped by cheaters, botters and hackers in Arena.

I must congratulate Holinka on a job well-done.
    Nobody enjoys assram except a few casual bottom feeders. These are not the players that ever stepped foot in arena in the first place. Arena participation is way down because pvp is shit. Also, seeing how you clearly do not pvp, I don't see why you thought your useless +1 was needed in a pvp thread. The dragonslayer forums are just above this one.
    Last edited by Illiterate; 2015-04-03 at 07:56 PM.

replacing Holinka would solve nothing... they would just get another Stooge and say to them hey your budget and development time is zero only do anything when a class is literally 1 shotting with one spell or something is broken and isnt scaling correctly.

the pvp directors are yes men like the president of the united states or a manager of a burger king to come out and say yes how may I help you? Then they do nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

if they want to increase arena rep they would need to simplify the game even more and make less about gear and this would upset the small community of 500 people who pursue rank 1 every season.

Takes too long to gear up with the default cap

takes too long to find competent people to play with

Devs dont do enough balancing

Not fun because A burst. B. Insane healing to counter A and C still insane amounts of crowd control.

I do think WOW PVP has a big problem, but I am not sure Holinka is the cause (although he hasn't helped the situation). I think PVP in WOW got hit hard when Blizz switched up the talent system (right before MOP). That switched combined with the evolution of PVP in MMO's has hurt WOW PVP the last two x pacs. The new system hasn't meshed well with PVP. At this point, I think the only way to fix it is for Blizz to bite the bullet and make PVP totally separate from PVE. Maybe a system similar to GW2 with the PVP lobby etc.
    I can't say that replacing Holinka would fix this. He hasn't helped his own case because he represents himself poorly in social media (which would be enough for me to fire him, since MMO's are a social game), but I am unsure of what affect he actually has on PVP- so I can't blame him- it is the system. Blizz is committed to raiding, they like to pretend they are committed to PVP (just to keep the PVP'ers subbing) but the facts don't back that up.
    PVP will always take a back seat to PVE in WOW. That is why a lot of PVP'ers have moved on to other games that are more devoted to PVP. I think WOW has some great potential for good PVP, will they devote the resources necessary to make it work? I am doubtful, as they haven't in the past. A PVP system in which players buy arena and rbg carries each week to make cp caps has basically no integrity. Real PVP has nothing to do with gear, it is skill vs skill. Gear is for PVE, in order to insure a progression based model.

The game has never been balanced, but comp balance right now is just fucking terrible. The skill ceiling has never been lower.

Holinka is a symptom, not the problem. PvP won't get fixed until they actually hire people who play competitive pvp to do the job, AND listen to what they say without pushing a bunch of foofoo nonsense into the mix. Ashran feels like an example of a great idea that some PVE players got ahold of and just wrecked into oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    WoW PvP has been trash for ages. The only really innovative things that have ever come out of it are conquest-like bg's such as w-grasp and AV, rest are just boring/pointless copying of the FPS genre to appeal for the kids. AV was only BG that has ever actually made it feel like im in a war(You know, the part in the World of Warcraft). That said the PvP has taken a turn for the worse since those times definitely, every class now has some kind of CC/interrupt/escape mech etc. homogenizing the PvP as much as possible, wich in turn has the effect of making game look even more like an FPS than an MMORPG.
    Last edited by mmoc397e28de05; 2015-04-05 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I am having a blast playing Ashran. It has its issues, but overall it is immensely fun.

I have been playing since Dec 2005, and I never ever did Arena nor will I ever. I believe Arena's implementation was a mistake, in that it forced people to do Arena in order to obtain high-quality PvP gear.

Now that an alternative, fast and viable method for weekly CP cap has been introduced that does not include Arena it is natural to see low Arena participation as it seems very few people enjoyed getting roflstomped by cheaters, botters and hackers in Arena.

I must congratulate Holinka on a job well-done.
    You got 'roflstomped' by botters in arena?

Are you senile or just stupid?

Having had played PVP in BC as a ret pally I had to farm sets for ret and holy at the same time in every new season up until WoD?. After a short while this gets very boring and you lose interest. Also don't get me started on the ping bullsnaps being an AUS player.

I would love to see a system where you earn a pvp item and instead of having to farm 1-2k with a bunch of noobs or bots again at the start of the new season, you can upgrade the item by doing a simple daily BG for a week or so. I'm not interested in seriouslee pvp but I do want to pwn some random leveling alts and not suck.

The game's PvP is too broken to be fixed, even if they hire Jesus MMO Christ to try and untangle the mess they made with all the band-aid fixes over the years.

That said, I'm pretty sure putting a male human paladin in charge of PvP is a part of seven deadly dev sins, or something.

There have probably been dictionaries worth of suggestions and real solutions written on how to make it more playable, all falling on deaf ears. So... /effort

Prime example is how since MoP beta monk roll has been bugged and it was only fixed some time into WoD, after monks have been reduced beyond trash tier.

#PvE_Is_A_Minigame

It seems worse than ever before right now and very little fixing is being done. I'd say replace him.

10+ Year Old Account
    So is Holinka the new GC now? The single individual everyone blames for the decisions of a team of people?

FFS, learn how game development works. He isn't an overlord sitting on the throne of PvP, shouting down decrees to his minions. He does not single-handedly call the shots. There is a TEAM of people - since some people clearly don't get the concept, this means multiple individuals.

And you wonder why the devs don't talk to us much anymore. Its because of stupidity like this.

HEY, YOU! YES YOU, SINGLE INDIVIDUAL! I BLAME YOU, EXCLUSIVELY, FOR A DECISION THAT WAS ARRIVED AT BY 30+ PEOPLE!
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

There is almost never a shortage of things to complain about here.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Deleted
    Arena Junkies is just filled with toxic players, if it dies a lot of PvPers won't care.
    This season is probably the most balanced first season of an expansion. Compare it to the first season of MoP where warriors were insane and hunters had stampede bug or death knights in season 5.

PvP is dead, just look at the group finder compared to OQ or even the beginning of the season... or your friends list.

And yeah of course someone has to take the blame? If you dont want to fire him transfer him to another division.
    IMO they should hire one of the top PLAYERS, Holinka's history (fps shooters) doesnt make him qualified to be PvP lead designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So is Holinka the new GC now? The single individual everyone blames for the decisions of a team of people?

FFS, learn how game development works. He isn't an overlord sitting on the throne of PvP, shouting down decrees to his minions. He does not single-handedly call the shots. There is a TEAM of people - since some people clearly don't get the concept, this means multiple individuals.

And you wonder why the devs don't talk to us much anymore. Its because of stupidity like this.

HEY, YOU! YES YOU, SINGLE INDIVIDUAL! I BLAME YOU, EXCLUSIVELY, FOR A DECISION THAT WAS ARRIVED AT BY 30+ PEOPLE!
    You seem to not know how a company works. He is in charge, he is responsible, he calls the PVP shots.

Holinka has nothing to do with class balance. You can't blame him for the removal of abilities or the overcompensation of certain specs. At least know what the devs job description is before you burn em at the stake. That being said, the failures of ashram IS all on his shoulders since that is all his responsibility. I would love to see him push to kill botting more as well.