How close are we to Full Dive technology?

I understand the security risks behind executing something like the full dive technology that was in a anime like SAO, but is the technology for something like that there already or do we have a long way to go?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    At this moment, the technology regarding detecting brain wave patterns is there. It's the mapping that's the issue. Once the mapping advances, I'm sure the tech regarding brain waves will need to step up as I expect the mapping of 100+ billion neurons will be rather extensive.

What to you mean by the mapping? Can you go into a little bit more detail about that?

Hi, non-anime fan here, what exactly is full dive?

Is it the thing that gives all the anime people the strength to hold up those 17 foot long 5 foot wide swords with the toothpick sized handles?

MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Hi, non-anime fan here, what exactly is full dive?

Is it the thing that gives all the anime people the strength to hold up those 17 foot long 5 foot wide sword with the little toothpick sized handles?

It's like virtual reality, except you are actually inside the game.

I think the only answer that can be given is "maybe in our lifetime".

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    We have an understanding of the brain as far as what general area performs what tasks. But the full dive tech that SAO shows goes to the level of being able to simulate and transfer to you the full experience of being somewhere.

Therefore, the application of that technology much be precise to the point of being able to simulate those exact feelings and sensations. Without crossing into areas of the brain adjacent to the target area.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctorplays View Post
    What to you mean by the mapping? Can you go into a little bit more detail about that?
    We would have to know what each neuron and receptor does/doesn't do. There are parts of the brain that do the same thing in different places. While a lot of it is regional to certain areas of the brain some of it isn't. They would need to map every single stimuli on the brain. That means pain, pleasure, smells, sights, etc. It would be pretty extensive as an undertaking.

You also have things like 'how you sound'. What you sound like isn't really part of your brain since it's just the sound produced by your vocal cords. A lot more research and tech would have to go into something like 'deep dive technology'. Though maybe 2030~ we'd see something like it. I just pulled that number out of thin air, but considering the advancements in technology on a yearly basis there is no reason we couldn't be closer in a few decades.

While there working on sensors that can see patterns of your brainwaves it's a long way from introducing signals into your brain.
    Tho i wish this was already 100% possible id say it will take a few decades atleast before the can do anything near Soa has.

Also how are the going to stop your brain from sending signals to your arms and legs while these signals are required for the headset to function.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

sound, sight, touch, smell and taste

atm we can't even do 100% realistic visuals and that's one of the easiest to do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post
    It's like virtual reality, except you are actually inside the game.

I think the only answer that can be given is "maybe in our lifetime".
    that sounds dangerous

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    While there working on sensors that can see patterns of your brainwaves it's a long way from introducing signals into your brain.
    Tho i wish this was already 100% possible id say it will take a few decades atleast before the can do anything near Soa has.

Also how are the going to stop your brain from sending signals to your arms and legs while these signals are required for the headset to function.
    It will be a while before we develop that kind of technology.

The way I see it, the first 'full dive' technology will be pretty primitive to what we see in shows. It will basically be an Oculus Rift that you wear, but your 'controller' is your brain waves. It's already possible to 'feel' like you're there with the OR, so the next step would be to figure out the brain wave issue. It actually sounds possible to me with today's technology, but I ain't no signteest or brain waves expert.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Baptist View Post
    that sounds dangerous
    That's the issue the animes explore, but it's highly dramatized. It is theoretically quite safe!

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    Much like when you fall asleep. Most people (people without sleep walking episodes) have a paralytic effect applied to them. I'm not exactly sure about the details, whether it is chemical or controlled by the brain. The failure of this paralytic effect would be sleep walking or when you wake up and cannot move immediately.

Deleted
    uploading your brain to the matrix isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

your better off putting your money on augmented reality or virtual reality. Occulus rift esque technology might become very realistic within our lifetimes, if it takes off and if it progresses at a similar pace traditional video games/hardware have, especialy combined with brain-mapped controls.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-04-02 at 10:19 PM.

My wonder about it has always been how you would get around the security issues. When I think about it you are allowing a piece of tech access to your nervous system. One step is definitely the technology and another would be convincing the average person to actually use it. I would love to see this in my lifetime though. Playing a game like WoW while actually feeling like you are there would blow my mind and I can't wait. Might be possible especially when you think about how many leaps and bounds tech has made just in the past 10 years.

It will be the end of the human race, everyone will live in their fantasy worlds until they atrophy and die, leaving no heirs behind.

Except for the Amish who would shun such tech.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Technologically, we're there. Legally, there's some big issues such as who's at fault when an automated car kills someone.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Yeah that is an interesting though about legal actions against such a device, but I really hope we can figure some way around this. Would love to tank Black Hand and actually feel like you are right in front of him haha.

i hope i see it in my life time. but i just don't know. it'd be the only way to ever realize all my awesome dreams.

joining a mage's college or guild, studying arcane secrets in ancient ruins. i guess these things will always elude me v.v

It might be simpler to just master memory. We could make a digital copy of a biological brain, place the digital copy in a Matrix, then extract the memories it builds and implant those memories in the biological brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    It might be simpler to just master memory. We could make a digital copy of a biological brain, place the digital copy in a Matrix, then extract the memories it builds and implant those memories in the biological brain.
    Memory manipulation a la Total Recall? That would probably be easier in a way.