512GB or Similar worth of SSD

Question is? 1 Drive or 2 drives, it puzzles me cause 2 drives of 256GB its at the same price of 1 of 512.

But then I read that the spacier the SSD is the faster, but with 2 drives you can have the SO and programs in 1 and the games in other.

I dont know what to go get 1 or 2 drives

Other question if its worth to buy the MX200 over the 100, becuase in benchmarks the 200 its slightly faster, but then you see real life tests like opening apps or copying files and they have the exact same speed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whichever way is cheaper.

There is no advantage to have 2, all that does is increase the chance of a drive crapping on you.

**Unless you are going to stripe them in raid.

If not, get a single drive, install os and games on it, add a mechanical for backups and data.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Whichever way is cheaper.

There is no advantage to have 2, all that does is increase the chance of a drive crapping on you.

**Unless you are going to stripe them in raid.

If not, get a single drive, install os and games on it, add a mechanical for backups and data.

I disagree, the chance to lose all the data is bigger with 1 single SSD instead of 2, all eggs on 1 basket.

but then stripe of SSDs has no real world advantages.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    I disagree, the chance to lose all the data is bigger with 1 single SSD instead of 2, all eggs on 1 basket.

./facepalm

You just asked peoples' opinions and then you respond like you know the answer.

Either listen and consider, or don't create a thread.

First of all, chances your SSD will die, are extremely tiny. I currently own 4 different SSDs and none of them is even close to failing.

Also, you could try this thing called "back-up"... it's a miraculous invention to back up your data in another place, even perhaps multiple times, so you don't potentially run into the issue you're speaking about.

The less drives over all, the better. If you can afford to just buy one 512GB SSD, I'd go for it. I have a 512GB Crucial MX100 and it's awesome. Has my OS and several games installed, with room left to spare. Then I also have an m500 250GB from before I got the MX100 and moved to a new Windows which pretty much offers me more speedy space.

In my Minecraft server I have Windows installed on my old Crucial m4 128GB from 2011 (still going very strong after several reinstallations of Windows, WoW, etc) and then the server itself is running off a 120GB Crucial m500 or MX100. I forget which one.

If anything, the more SSDs one has *coughs, me* the more likely they are to see one fail.

But the same can be said for mechanical hard drives... which are even more prone to fail, thanks to the mechanical aspect. Power shortages, rapid off/on cycles (it's happened to me) make quick work of mechanicals.

Trust me when I say that SSDs are a good safe route to go, nowadays.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'd go with the 512 one, usually they have better read/write speeds.

You completely failed to understand what he was telling you. The more drives you have the greater chance you will experience a hardware failure. Its simple math. Also, having two smaller drives instead of one larger drive does nothing to protect you from a failure because you will not be able to just use one of those two smaller drives to back everything up. Unless you stripe them in RAID like he said, which means you would be limited to 256GB of total storage instead of 512GB.

You best option is exactly what he told you to do, get a bigger single SSD and a cheap mechanical HDD to serve as a back up and for large file storage. A good 1TB HDD is about $50 these days.

Personally, I have a 128GB SSD for my OS, drivers, office and other crap that I want to start when my PC boots. This is all stuff that I can install quickly if I reinstall Windows, and there is nothing on it that I would cry over if I had to nuke the drive for whatever reason. I then have a larger SSD for games and stuff, and a massive HDD for backing up the OS drive and select folders on the secondary SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slightly off topic but would everything work fine if you set up a RAID 0 with a 240GB Crucial MX500 and a 250GB Crucial BX100?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    Slightly off topic but would everything work fine if you set up a RAID 0 with a 240GB Crucial MX500 and a 250GB Crucial BX100?
    It is possible to do that. You will lose the extra capacity on the 250GB drive. You may encounter issues later on. Not that I think that RAID0 is worth the trouble in the first place, especially not with SSDs. If you already have an SSD, you likely won't even notice the speed increase unless you are constantly writing large files.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    ./facepalm

You just asked peoples' opinions and then you respond like you know the answer.

Either listen and consider, or don't create a thread.

First of all, chances your SSD will die, are extremely tiny. I currently own 4 different SSDs and none of them is even close to failing.

Also, you could try this thing called "back-up"... it's a miraculous invention to back up your data in another place, even perhaps multiple times, so you don't potentially run into the issue you're speaking about.

The less drives over all, the better. If you can afford to just buy one 512GB SSD, I'd go for it. I have a 512GB Crucial MX100 and it's awesome. Has my OS and several games installed, with room left to spare. Then I also have an m500 250GB from before I got the MX100 and moved to a new Windows which pretty much offers me more speedy space.

In my Minecraft server I have Windows installed on my old Crucial m4 128GB from 2011 (still going very strong after several reinstallations of Windows, WoW, etc) and then the server itself is running off a 120GB Crucial m500 or MX100. I forget which one.

If anything, the more SSDs one has *coughs, me* the more likely they are to see one fail.

But the same can be said for mechanical hard drives... which are even more prone to fail, thanks to the mechanical aspect. Power shortages, rapid off/on cycles (it's happened to me) make quick work of mechanicals.

Trust me when I say that SSDs are a good safe route to go, nowadays.
    I only disagreed with him on 1 point, that you also failed too see.

The more of one thing we have, ofc the chances to see a failure are bigger, same way that if you only have 1 of a thing if it breaks you are left with no other.

But I never questioned the reliability of SSDs it was him that brought it to the table.

My question is if there is any advantage in having 2 SSDs, I never asked for disadvantages cause there are none if anything 2 are more advantageous since there will be less writes all around since the data are spread on 2 units instead of one.

Buying a single 512GB its the same price of 2x 256GB of the same brand and model. In the mechanical HDD era 2 were always better cause of raid0, nowadays software raid0 makes no since on SSDs since there are 0 real world advantages.

My question is more on the performance side, if a configuration of one SSD with windows and programs and other with the MMOs and Steam library, would bring any advantage.

With one big ssd you essentially have more usable space, since you shouldn't completely fill up a ssd.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Deleted
    My question is more on the performance side, if a configuration of one SSD with windows and programs and other with the MMOs and Steam library, would bring any advantage.
    Technically yes but nothing you will really notice outside of benchmarking. Just get one big one, you could always get a small one later on if you absolutely feel like you need just your OS and programs on one. I think you'd regret getting smaller capacities when you're able to buy the bigger one now.