Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Need a good sci-fi/paranormal show/movies, any suggestions?

Feel like I've watched just about everything in this genre, I'm a huge fan of sciency shows, especially ones based in space. I'll try to give a list of the major ones I've already watched to the best of my memory.

Already watched/up to date on release;

Star Trek - all series
    Firefly
    Farscape
    The X-Files
    Supernatural
    Sanctuary
    Haven
    Warehouse 13
    Sleepy Hollow
    Alcatraz
    Arrow
    Smallville
    The Walking Dead
    Stargate Universe
    Fringe
    Heroes
    Defiance
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Angel
    Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Andromeda
    Almost Human
    Primeval
    Defying Gravity

Shows I've watched some of but didn't enjoy;

Marvel's Agents of Shield
    A town called Eureka
    Helix
    Flash
    Gotham
    Z-Nation
    Lost
    Battlestar Galactica
    Stargate - all other series except Universe
    The 100 (might give it another chance)
    Last edited by Vakna; 2015-04-06 at 04:26 PM.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Looking at your list, you could give Continuum and Grimm a try
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Angel Spin-off of the Buffy series is not only better than Buffy alone but probably one of the best "Supernatural" themed shows of the last 20years.

It is my personal favourite when it comes to shows about things like Demons and Angels (pun not intended) and otherworldly things.

5 Seasons long, 22 Episodes a Season, 43mins an Episode. All Worth it. Action/Comedy/Drama all in one Supernatural awesome package.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    The Angel Spin-off of the Buffy series is not only better than Buffy alone but probably one of the best "Supernatural" themed shows of the last 20years.

It is my personal favourite when it comes to shows about things like Demons and Angels (pun not intended) and otherworldly things.

5 Seasons long, 22 Episodes a Season, 43mins an Episode. All Worth it. Action/Comedy/Drama all in one Supernatural awesome package.
    Ah forgot to add those to my list, Angel was awesome, literally finished a re-watch of all 5 seasons a few days ago. Got them all in their original DVD forms where the discs come in what looks like books. Only bad thing about Angel was how it ended.
    Last edited by Vakna; 2015-04-03 at 02:23 PM.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Looking at your list and what you seem to enjoy, you should check out Grimm and the 100.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Ah forgot to add those to my list, Angel was awesome, literally finished a re-watch of all 5 seasons a few days ago. Got them all in their original DVD forms where the discs come in what looks like books.
    I too have that set haha, it came in a Metal Box for me.

Well, if you already have Angel, I can't really think of anything that great. Though if you do enjoy quite a lot of comedy in your Sci-fi there is an Awesome Anime called SpaceDandy, imagine Cowboy Bebop but his Best friend is a Robot and a Catman and they troll the Galaxy hunting Bounties and trying to woo Women.

You might enjoy Resurrection. It's been hit or miss with me but I've watched both seasons of it anyway. While not fitting your criteria exactly, the last ship has been good as well. And Falling Skies is excellent in my opinion.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it odd that you've watched Stargate Universe, but didn't enjoy Battlestar Galactica, considering SGU is basically just a terrible copy of BSG.

Anyway, You've watched most shows worth watching it seems like, another poster already recommended Continuum and I also think you might like it. It's a pretty decent sci-fi/time travel series.

Deleted
    This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_...alactic_Heroes

You might think "oh its just a lame anime" but it's actually very nice and interesting. Go watch its 110 episodes.

Deleted
    Ah forgot to add those to my list, Angel was awesome, literally finished a re-watch of all 5 seasons a few days ago. Got them all in their original DVD forms where the discs come in what looks like books. Only bad thing about Angel was how it ended.
    well neither ANgel nor Buffy has ended (yet). Whedon continued them in Comics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_(...r)#Comic_books

I highly recommend Misfits. It's got superpowers but with a much darker spin than what you would see in Heroes for instance. Very well acted and well written. 10/10 show.

Of course we can't forget the mother of all shows, Doctor Who. Didn't see it mentioned in your list so not sure if you've ever seen any of it. If you decide to check it out, you'll want to start with Doctor Who 2005.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I find it odd that you've watched Stargate Universe, but didn't enjoy Battlestar Galactica, considering SGU is basically just a terrible copy of BSG.

Anyway, You've watched most shows worth watching it seems like, another poster already recommended Continuum and I also think you might like it. It's a pretty decent sci-fi/time travel series.
    I tried with BSG, I really tried. I just couldn't get into it no matter how much I force watched it. In contrast I though SGU was one of the most interesting sci-fi shows in the last 10 years and definitely the best of the Stargate franchise in my opinion. The rest of SG series I also tried force watching but they never latched on, just couldn't get into it. SGU on the other hand really appealed to me, not sure why, seriously hated how they end it... if you're gonna cancel a show at least give the fans an ending they can be happy with, and not one that makes you mad as fuck.

I'm probably gonna give Grimm and Continuum a go, watched a bit of the 100 and I think that's going on my second list of "did not enjoy".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    I highly recommend Misfits. It's got superpowers but with a much darker spin than what you would see in Heroes for instance. Very well acted and well written. 10/10 show.

Of course we can't forget the mother of all shows, Doctor Who. Didn't see it mentioned in your list so not sure if you've ever seen any of it. If you decide to check it out, you'll want to start with Doctor Who 2005.
    I'm British so yeah I've watched the hell out of Doctor Who. I don't really take it seriously as a story though, just one of those fun night of the week tv shows that you watch while you're eating your take out. It's good don't get me wrong but I think they could have done a massively better job on modernising it and making it a more serious story. Maybe I'm getting a bit older and spoiled by the more realistic shows but I just can't look at Cybermen, Dalek's and Weeping Angels and think they would make a good villain, especially not how they're presented on Doctor Who. My 9 year old cousin loves the hell out of it though, maybe it's being aimed at the younger generation these days.

I remember seeing advertisements for Misfits when it was first released, was gonna watch it but for some reason never got around to it and since then it faded out of memory. Definitily gonna give that a go!

I'm British so yeah I've watched the hell out of Doctor Who. I don't really take it seriously as a story though, just one of those fun night of the week tv shows that you watch while you're eating your take out. It's good don't get me wrong but I think they could have done a massively better job on modernising it and making it a more serious story. Maybe I'm getting a bit older and spoiled by the more realistic shows but I just can't look at Cybermen, Dalek's and Weeping Angels and think they would make a good villain, especially not how they're presented on Doctor Who. My 9 year old cousin loves the hell out of it though, maybe it's being aimed at the younger generation these days.

I remember seeing advertisements for Misfits when it was first released, was gonna watch it but for some reason never got around to it and since then it faded out of memory. Definitily gonna give that a go!
    Hehe I know what you mean, I think they're definitely trying to appeal to a wider audience with Doctor Who now. But at the same time they don't want to modernize it, I think. Being British you must've also come across Torchwood? Modernizing that show killed it off the air I guess what I mean is a serious story entails a serious ending, or any ending really, while Doctor Who with its current formula can go on forever.

I love British cinema and I think it's utterly superior to American cinema. Misfits, I think, is one of Britain's modern gems. Another show I wanna recommend (also British ) is Black Mirror. It has Sci-Fi as a classification but not Sci-Fi that involves space and aliens. It goes deep into the dark side of technology, and may end up being too dark for some, so viewer discretion advised.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see Andromeda or Babylon 5 in your lists.. both set in space. They're both awesome, especially Babylon 5, easily among the best I've seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Orphan Black! Sarah Manning, a grifter and general Ne'er-do-well is coming back to try and set things right with her daughter. While waiting at the train station she comes face to face with a woman that looks EXACTLY like her... That woman then jumps in front of a train.

Then shit goes crazy.

Honestly Orphan Black is the best show I've seen in YEARS. Tatiana Maslany, that plays Sarah, is a stupendously good as the lead, I don't understand how she's not 1000x more famous. Although frankly she probably will be, soon .

One thing I would say though... IF you chose to watch this show (and you should) DO NOT GOOGLE IT. Do no do any research, do no check it out on Wikipedia... Because the net is dark and full of spoilers and believe me when I tell you, this show has some reveals you DO NOT WANT SPOILED.

watched a bit of the 100 and I think that's going on my second list of "did not enjoy".
    TRUST ME, give the 100 some time. Season 1 is pretty myeh, I only watched it because that girl Raven is pretty damn hot...

Then season 2 started and I swear it's a different show , it's gone CRAZY. again the season starts off a little slow, but I'm nearly finished with season 2 now and it's been super good, worlds better than the first.

I would also recommend 12 Monkeys, based on the insane Terry Gilliam movie, I started watching because I love the movie, nearly stopped watching because I love the movie... Kept on and now I LOVE the show. They've taken the basic premise of the films and just fucking RUN with it to a whole new, mind bending, WTF place.
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2015-04-03 at 03:49 PM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

True Detective http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/

Slightly supernatural and and lots of occultism featured in it.

Great cast, amazing direction, good soundtrack.

Had me hooked and on the edge of my seat all the way through.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Orphan Black!
    Lurking for something as well. I'm reminded that AoSHIELD is back on and I need to catch up. Heard good things about Orphan Black.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    True Detective http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/

Slightly supernatural and and lots of occultism featured in it.

Great cast, amazing direction, good soundtrack.

Had me hooked and on the edge of my seat all the way through.
    This was pretty solid. I like Matt and Woody, but I thank this show so much for introducing me to the love of my life, Lili Simmons and Banshee. OMFG

Anything by John Carpenter and I suggest The Thing.

Series:
    Tremors

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Dollhouse. It's on Netflix (last time I checked) and it's another Joss Whedon show. Has some good characters and I <3 me some Eliza Dushku. Only lasted 2 seasons, unfortunately, which isn't all that surprising for a Whedon show. I very much enjoyed it and it does at least have an ending.