Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    i hate people so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    This isn't so much a thick / thin-skin issue
    They complained that using a Tee Pee was a form of cultural appropriation, and another student said “I voiced my concerns not only for myself, but for everyone who was hurt by this.”

People can be offended all they want, and I can roll my eyes at how easy it is to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Its not sacred people lifed in there thats where they slept, fucked burped and so forth.

We could talk about religious cult objects but their homes wtf
    Did you miss my first post?

A LOT of cultures don't separate "domestic" and "religious" - an object serves for both. This is especially true of tipis that are often painted /with religious symbols/, making them semi-sacred.

I declare that guns are sacred to white people so we must take all guns from non white people!

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Do you think the sanctity of an icon is enough of a ground to politicize or limit its usage?.
    Yes.

I mean, if I made a miniature version of a church and said it was a place to talk about genocide, anti-abortion, and a "space of negativity".. would you be hurt by that?

Or any other religious icon (if you're religious, ofc).

that's basically what they did here - they took a semi-sacred object, then attached a bunch of stereotypical crap to it (a place of "good vibes" and happiness) and wonder why the people that actually see it as a religious item got bothered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    As someone in that art world, while I agree it is ugly as balls, I think all modern art is ugly, but that doesn't mean it should be torn down, it's art.
    OP is misleading.

Artists TOOK it down, on their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone in that art world, while I agree it is ugly as balls, I think all modern art is ugly, but that doesn't mean it should be torn down, it's art.
    yep, that is my conclusion too, in the end, but its already been determined/forced to be demolished.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't decide what's more pathetic, what happened or the people who were brain washed into believing that destroying the creation is a good thing.

This is a controversy, but when Christians get mad when people turn crosses upside down (which, btw, is hilarious, since the upside down cross is a symbol of St. Peter) or defile them, that's "Freedom of speech and expression"

10+ Year Old Account
    "You see, anything that resembles a teepee, even an art-installation-cum-music-venue that glows in the dark, is apparently covered by some kind of ethno-spiritual copyright"

"Anytime a "person of color" has a Starbucks or chows down on a Big Mac, I personally feeled gravely wounded at my ethno-spritual center that they are appropriating the culture of fat, spoiled white people.

For. Shame."

This made me chuckle, very entertaining story. I don't think one really needs to argue about this... either art can do what it likes or it can't. Evidently at Santa Barbara it can't because a group of people feel the things they attach certain significance to should not be given other semantics by people who are not them.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2015-04-03 at 04:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i hate people so much.

dito. Humanity always find ways to suck more every single day
    Druid since Feb. 06

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
    I can't decide what's more pathetic, what happened or the people who were brain washed into believing that destroying the creation is a good thing.
    I'm 99% sure no one in this thread has said needed to be destroyed.

Just agreeing that it's insensitive and the artist was right in VOLUNTARILY taking it down - the typepad is misleading. Because it's a typepad.

Deleted
    Did you miss my first post?

A LOT of cultures don't separate "domestic" and "religious" - an object serves for both. This is especially true of tipis that are often painted /with religious symbols/, making them semi-sacred.
    Yeah every indian with a christian cross is offensive as well.

If they celebrated christmas? Offensive.

Yeah every indian with a christian cross is offensive as well.

If they celebrated christmas? Offensive.
    Except you can be Indian and christian. And a lot are due to, you know, being *forced* to be christian or die.

Just a thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Race I care about, sex I care about, orientation I care about, but culture and tradition fall into the catagory of religion and superstitious nonsense I don't care about.

Unless the Teepee is intellectual property owned and reserved from being sold or profited on. Then I wouldn't have taken it down. This bullshit notion a race or culture owns an idea because one person created the wheel and caught on is redicoulous.

Unless that person or at least direct family protest. Then respect how other people feel but tell them they'll have to get over it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I'm 99% sure no one in this thread has said needed to be destroyed.

Just agreeing that it's insensitive and the artist was right in VOLUNTARILY taking it down - the typepad is misleading. Because it's a typepad.
    Once again nobody in this thread has said why it's insensitive. I guess then we should never see any native americans painting pictures of any other style home even if they live in one since it's someone else's culture. I can make a wigwam all day or a longhouse and guess what nothing about it is insensitive.

Yes.

I mean, if I made a miniature version of a church and said it was a place to talk about genocide, anti-abortion, and a "space of negativity".. would you be hurt by that?

Or any other religious icon (if you're religious, ofc).

that's basically what they did here - they took a semi-sacred object, then attached a bunch of stereotypical crap to it (a place of "good vibes" and happiness) and wonder why the people that actually see it as a religious item got bothered.
    Of course I wouldn't.
    Being hurt by that would be counterproductive to the cultural exchange and proliferation of diversity.
    I've attended raves with lots of sex and drugs in actual (albeit abandoned) christian buildings of prayer. Christians loved it.

Besides, your point is that they often mix the usage, but nowhere is it said that tipis are inherently sacred: they are simply accompanied by the sacred when used by a spiritual individual. Nevermind that the association of tipis with native Americans is purely stereotypical bull, for they often lived in other structures, but I digress. Analyzing the whole of tipis by the anecdote that they often (and historically) depicted sacred drawings is a prime example of a fallacy of composition.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Once again nobody in this thread has said why it's insensitive. I guess then we should never see any native americans painting pictures of any other style home even if they live in one since it's someone else's culture. I can make a wigwam all day or a longhouse and guess what nothing about it is insensitive.
    I have.. just not reading, or not caring?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Of course I wouldn't.
    Being hurt by that would be counterproductive to the cultural exchange and proliferation of diversity.
    I've attended raves with lots of sex and drugs in actual (albeit abandoned) christian buildings of prayer. Christians loved it.

Besides, your point is that they often mix the usage, but nowhere is it said that tipis are inherently sacred: they are simply accompanied by the sacred when used by a spiritual individual. Nevermind that the association of tipis with native Americans is purely stereotypical bull, for they often lived in other structures, but I digress. Analyzing the whole of tipis by the anecdote that they often (and historically) depicted sacred drawings is a prime example of a fallacy of composition.
    Except the person quoted in the article explicitly agreed with me.

And yes, as a whole there were other structures, but for many groups tipi (or a variation of) was the standard, being as how they needed something portable. Which also means religious structures need to be portable, and not heavy, and..

oh. maybe that's why it has a dual-use, which i've been trying to point out to you.

Deleted
    Except you can be Indian and christian. And a lot are due to, you know, being *forced* to be christian or die.

Just a thought.
    You cant worship indian gods thats appropriation.

Only stupid fucking PC-Teenagers wouldn't have an understanding of others peoples cultures, and be fucking clueless at when you shouldn't be offended, at the same time.

Off-Topic: Bags has no idea how the world works, and doesn't understand how someone can refused participation, or secondhand support, for an issue they are against, and I am bigot for supporting those people, even though I also support the people that are making the bitch-fit out of the whole situation.
    i had a lego set with a teepee and no one told me to take it down

oh i see you're personally attacking me over the closed thread

u mad kid?
    Last edited by Bags-; 2015-04-03 at 04:26 PM.

You cant worship indian gods thats appropriation.
    Actually, you can.

Provided you're ACTUALLY doing so, and not worshiping some made-up version that idealized them to the point of stupidity. I mean, you could do that too, but taking any religious symbology from it would be utterly inappropriate if you're not actually practicing the religion but your idea of what it "should be".