Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

White people are a minority in the global population

Did you know that in terms of the worldwide population of human beings, white people represent a minority?

The question that needs to be asked:

Why is it that in the very small number of white-majority countries that non-whites are given special rights when in the majority of the world (non-white countries) white people are NOT given special rights?

Can you answer this question?
    "Listen widely to remove your doubts and be careful when speaking about the rest, and your mistakes will be few..." — Confucius.

Chinese + Asian Indians are a huge group of people, probably over half of humanity.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Because money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Considering his other threads I thought the OP was going to be Primary Colors.

Deleted
    Question, what special rights are non-whites given in white-majority countries?

I think you're looking at the wrong levels. In most nations, the local minority groups are discriminated against. Most of the exceptions to that are places where the minority groups are in power. There are very, very few places where minorities with less power are granted any special benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    This probably should have been addressed in the OP.

Additional college aid opportunity not available to whites.

For some races, additional university pointage and quotas. Just because the formulas are not made public, doesn't mean there is no system for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post

For some races, additional university pointage and quotas. Just because the formulas are not made public, doesn't mean there is no system.
    That aid is predicated on an inherent disadvantage. It doesn't come out of a vacuum.

Deleted
    We actually give a shit about them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post

For some races, additional university pointage and quotas. Just because the formulas are not made public, doesn't mean there is no system.
    I don't think we have that here, could be wrong but never really heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    That aid is predicated on an inherent disadvantage. It doesn't come out of a vacuum.
    That's the idea anyway. Even if you don't much buy it, it's still a fundamental truism that the goal of affirmative action and similar policies is a level playing field rather than to privilege one group over another. One can disagree with the policy while still admitting the intentions are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's the idea anyway. Even if you don't much buy it, it's still a fundamental truism that the goal of affirmative action and similar policies is a level playing field rather than to privilege one group over another. One can disagree with the policy while still admitting the intentions are good.
    I mean sure and you can disagree with that methodology, I'm not crazy about it either, but acting like its being done in a vacuum is just begging the question here.

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes white people more entitled than anyone else OP? It's not the color of a persons skin that makes a person who he/she is...it's what's inside. You're no more of a special snowflake than that brown/yellow/ tan/ purple/ green person next to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Then the question is simply asked.

Why have a level playing field just for these few?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    What makes white people more entitled than anyone else OP? It's not the color of a persons skin that makes a person who he/she is...it's what's inside. You're no more of a special snowflake than that brown/yellow/ tan/ purple/ green person next to you.
    Actually, we are entitled to more based upon our culture and our climate. Our quality of life is higher and we are entitled to that because our societies earned that.

"Affirmative action" and "minority scholarships" etc are pretty much solely an American thing, and it mainly exists to try to make up for past discrimination and/or mistreatment of minorities. Although nowadays people will probably say it's to promote multiculturalism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post

Actually, we are entitled to more based upon our culture and our climate. Our quality of life is higher and we are entitled to that because our societies earned that.

I seriously hope you're being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Then the question is simply asked.

Why have a level playing field just for these few?
    If you're looking to me to defend affirmative action policies, I won't be doing it. I would have a tough time doing it without rolling my eyes.

That said, the idea behind it is that we're starting on an uneven playing field due to historical oppression and uneven socioeconomic circumstances, so giving black people an extra ~200 points on SATs in college admissions is "fair". I do not agree with this idea... but it's the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    Minorities are treated like special snowflakes in the West. Whites will increasingly become Minorities due to having the lowest fertility rate. So at least the oppressed minority card will dry up. That's one positive.

When the aliens will invade, we will all be finally united as one planet and as Humans. Not red, black, white, yellow & brown.

('Just re-watched Starship Troopers 1)

When everybody will see that skin color doesnt matter, well... I think the Earth will have exploded by then.