Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    When building a gaming pc:

1. DO NOT RUSH!!!
    Read, learn, ask many questions on several various reputable hardware websites - especially read product reviews.
    Go to a pc building expert if you can and talk to them, extensively.
    If you are building a serious gaming PC check out PC building/HW guides like LinusTechTips on youtube, amazing.
    I did all that for over 2 months before i made my purchase.

2. Your PC is as strong as it's WEAKEST component.
    If you spend 3000$ making a gaming PC but you buy a 100$ CPU it will not end well.
    If you buy a HDD from year 2001 you will have a shitty time, regardless of your 8 core i7 extreme.

3. Always pick the latest technology available, except if they are a first generation of brand new (not time tested) technology.

4. Most multiplayer games (battlefield 4 64 players, WoW 40man raids...) are CPU intensive, while the GPU is used for visual fluff.
    If your GPU is too weak you can turn down the graphics - if your CPU is too weak you are probably screwed.

5. Motherboards really benefit from having the latest chipset and quality components (special chipset needed if u wanna overclock).
    Luckily you can get REALLY good motherboards for low prices, just follow reliable product reviews.
    Difference between a 300$ MB and a 600++$ MB (of same type/model/generation) is mostly in overclock potential and specific utility.
    Unless you are an overclocking expert, there will be no notable performance gain between those MBs.
    ATX sized motherboards offer the best stuff a gamer can want, but are also large compared to their smaller (and weaker) micro/mini cousins.

6. RAM memory - you got 3 variables: amount of ram (GB), ram speed (MHz) and ram latency (CL8/9/10/11...).
    As far as gaming goes pick a DDR3 1866mhz 8-16GB CL9 and you will never be sorry - anything more ONLY if you know exactly how to use it and set it up.
    In gaming there is very little difference between 1866mhz CL9 and 2400mhz CL11.
    Overclocking RAM beyond 1866Mhz has very little gaming performance gain, while it can limit how much you can OC your CPU!!

7. HDDs and SSDs: honestly get one of each, or one HUGE SSD.
    Western Digital BLACK 7200rpm 64cache HDDs are pretty much unmatched in the HDD category.
    SSDs can be expensive but are really fast, just read product reviews before choosing.
    SSDs make game loading screens much faster, but they will NOT increase game FPS (frames) when compared to a WD Black.
    Put OSystem and most demanding games on SSD, rest on HDD - but the SSD is not mandatory for gaming!

8. I honestly prefer Intel and Nvidia.
    You will NEVER make a mistake by buying an Intel i5 (or i7 if really rich) K model cpu that can be overclocked.
    Do not go for the 6 core and 8 core CPUs - those are for specific professional uses.
    Both current and close-future games will not make notable use of more than 4 cpu cores.
    I honestly do not recommend getting AMD cpus for gaming, just save up for that Intel i5-4690K (or 4670K if u want cheaper but older) model.
    NVidia is my personal preference, but many people swear by ATi GPUs.
    Always read professional reviews and comparisons.

9. PC casing needs to have good air flow and build quality, as well as a lot of proper equipment and space.
    My personal favorite is Fractal Design's R5 windowed version.
    Pick your casing depending on your GPU size and Mobo size and cooling method.

10. Power supply is REALLY important - not just the WATTS but the QUALITY is what matters even more.
    Bad quality PSU (power supply units) can claim they provide 750W but in reality it is barely 600W, and even other worse stuff can happen!
    You really need a good brand here... Seasonic is one of the best AND it is available around the world.
    USA market has other brands as good as Seasonic, but they don't appear in a lot of EU markets.
    Double GPU setups require a lot of power!!!

11. Cooling is super important!
    If you are looking for a simple PC then air cooling is the way to go - Noctua coolers are probably THE best on the market.
    A few Noctua coolers in your Case's slots and a big one on your CPU will make any cooling problem go away.
    Liquid cooling is good if done properly but hella complicated if you are not familiar with it.
    Double GPU setups are extremely intensive on cooling!!!

12. Be sure you know what you are paying for, as well as the warranty that comes with it.
    Big names such as Intel, Nvidia, ATi, AMD, Gigabyte, ASUS, Seasonic, Western Digital, Kingston give you a significant guarantee of quality and reliability.
    ALWAYS check the damn product reviews and comparisons - sometimes for gaming a 700$ product is only slightly better than a 350$ product!

When you put together a PC config on "paper", post it on as many pc building and hardware websites/forums as you can (and ask experts IRL if possible).
    Get as many professional opinions and advices as possible, they are absolutely invaluable in making the right choice.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2015-04-09 at 10:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    When building a gaming pc:

1. DO NOT RUSH!!!
    Read, learn, ask many questions on several various reputable hardware websites - especially read product reviews.
    Go to a pc building expert if you can and talk to them, extensively.
    If you are building a serious gaming PC check out PC building/HW guides like LinusTechTips on youtube, amazing.
    I did all that for over 2 months before i made my purchase.

2. Your PC is as strong as it's WEAKEST component.
    If you spend 3000$ making a gaming PC but you buy a 100$ CPU it will not end well.
    If you buy a HDD from year 2001 you will have a shitty time, regardless of your 8 core i7 extreme.

3. Always pick the latest technology available, except if they are a first generation of brand new (not time tested) technology.

4. Most multiplayer games (battlefield 4 64 players, WoW 40man raids...) are CPU intensive, while the GPU is used for visual fluff.
    If your GPU is too weak you can turn down the graphics - if your CPU is too weak you are probably screwed.

5. Motherboards really benefit from having the latest chipset and quality components (special chipset needed if u wanna overclock).
    Luckily you can get REALLY good motherboards for low prices, just follow reliable product reviews.
    Difference between a 300$ MB and a 600++$ MB (of same type/model/generation) is mostly in overclock potential and specific utility.
    Unless you are an overclocking expert, there will be no notable performance gain between those MBs.
    ATX sized motherboards offer the best stuff a gamer can want, but are also large compared to their smaller (and weaker) micro/mini cousins.

6. RAM memory - you got 3 variables: amount of ram (GB), ram speed (MHz) and ram latency (CL8/9/10/11...).
    As far as gaming goes pick a DDR3 1866mhz 8-16GB CL9 and you will never be sorry - anything more ONLY if you know exactly how to use it and set it up.
    In gaming there is very little difference between 1866mhz CL9 and 2400mhz CL11.
    Overclocking RAM beyond 1866Mhz has very little gaming performance gain, while it can limit how much you can OC your CPU!!

7. HDDs and SSDs: honestly get one of each, or one HUGE SSD.
    Western Digital BLACK 7200rpm 64cache HDDs are pretty much unmatched in the HDD category.
    SSDs can be expensive but are really fast, just read product reviews before choosing.
    SSDs make game loading screens much faster, but they will NOT increase game FPS (frames) when compared to a WD Black.
    Put OSystem and most demanding games on SSD, rest on HDD - but the SSD is not mandatory for gaming!

8. I honestly prefer Intel and Nvidia.
    You will NEVER make a mistake by buying an Intel i5 (or i7 if really rich) K model cpu that can be overclocked.
    Do not go for the 6 core and 8 core CPUs - those are for specific professional uses.
    Both current and close-future games will not make notable use of more than 4 cpu cores.
    I honestly do not recommend getting AMD cpus for gaming, just save up for that Intel i5-4690K (or 4670K if u want cheaper but older) model.
    NVidia is my personal preference, but many people swear by ATi GPUs.
    Always read professional reviews and comparisons.

9. PC casing needs to have good air flow and build quality, as well as a lot of proper equipment and space.
    My personal favorite is Fractal Design's R5 windowed version.
    Pick your casing depending on your GPU size and Mobo size and cooling method.

10. Power supply is REALLY important - not just the WATTS but the QUALITY is what matters even more.
    Bad quality PSU (power supply units) can claim they provide 750W but in reality it is barely 600W, and even other worse stuff can happen!
    You really need a good brand here... Seasonic is one of the best AND it is available around the world.
    USA market has other brands as good as Seasonic, but they don't appear in a lot of EU markets.
    Double GPU setups require a lot of power!!!

11. Cooling is super important!
    If you are looking for a simple PC then air cooling is the way to go - Noctua coolers are probably THE best on the market.
    A few Noctua coolers in your Case's slots and a big one on your CPU will make any cooling problem go away.
    Liquid cooling is good if done properly but hella complicated if you are not familiar with it.
    Double GPU setups are extremely intensive on cooling!!!

12. Be sure you know what you are paying for, as well as the warranty that comes with it.
    Big names such as Intel, Nvidia, ATi, AMD, Gigabyte, ASUS, Seasonic, Western Digital, Kingston give you a significant guarantee of quality and reliability.
    ALWAYS check the damn product reviews and comparisons - sometimes for gaming a 700$ product is only slightly better than a 350$ product!

When you put together a PC config on "paper", post it on as many pc building and hardware websites/forums as you can (and ask experts IRL if possible).
    Get as many professional opinions and advices as possible, they are absolutely invaluable in making the right choice.
    Learned a lot of this stuff from these very forums. Glad that people here are so willing to help those who are very new to building stuff on their own, willing to answer all of our worrysome questions etc.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

I suck at EVERYTHING "cool" about build a pc myself, I SHOULD have just had some one build me one and save $100-200 worth of trouble and anger.
    Oh and Win 8.1 blows goats.

Edit:

I learned that Aleksej89's post above is amazing.

I'm kind of at my second and kind of at my 4th. My 1st build was in a Corsair 500T case. Then i got a new GPU, then i swapped the mobo for a m-itx one and put it in a Bitfenix prodigy. Then i custom watercooled it, then the watercooling leaked, so i put the whole thing in an Air240. Then i got a closed loop Corsair H110i GT, then it didn't fit so i bought an Air 540.

4th case. 500t > Bitfenix prodigy > air 240 > air 540.
    2nd set of ram, with only 2 slots available i bought 2*8GB
    2nd GPU. gtx470 > 7970 MSI lightning
    2nd CPU. i5-2500k > i7-4770k
    3rd cpu ccooler. H70 at 70% off or something > customer water loop > H110i GT.
    3rd PSU. 450W from a decent brand. Then got a 650W because it was on sale and 450W is to close for comfort with the 470GTX. Then i put it all in an m-itx case, so i got a new one which is shorter.
    2nd monitor. 1920x1080 24 inch Benq > 2560x1440 27 inch Asus

I did have some pre-made when i was younger with an Intel duo e6600 and an Nvidia 7650. Yes the 7650GS, for OEM use only. So i got a rarity that doesn't work anymore laying around.

Next upgrade is 5 high quality fans from Noctua, and a fan controller with WPM controller support. Then i wait for AMD to release their 390x card.

What i have learned? Fuck mini-itx cases, they are not worth the trouble at all. The lowest i'm about to go for from now on is Micro-ATX, even though it was nice carrying the computer in one hand it's a nightmare if you decide to open it up. Also, water cooling one is more expensive as you can't bend the tubing as much as you want to so you must buy shaped fittings. Also the air540 is perfect size to fit in the back of my car, it's cube shape makes sure it doesn't fall over.

Also, do some research on fan controlling and why WPM is good and why you want it. Cheap, usually stock fans shipped with the case usually can't be controlled at all, so it's either on or off. With WPM fans, you can set all your fans in the system to interact with the temperature of your CPU. Easy way to check for WPM support, if the fan power has 4 pins like your CPU cooler, it has WPM support.

When shopping for GPU, make sure you shop the right GPU for the right resolution. Nvidias most recent additions, the 970 and the 980 are getting shafted in 4k and even 1440p modern games. For the moment this isn't a huge concern, but an extreme example ''Shadows of Mordor'', the 290x is outperforming the 980gtx in 4k where the poor memory bandwidth on the 980 really shows. Even at 1440p it's a close match.

One last note, when shopping for a computer. Make sure you get a high quality PSU from a reputable manufacturer with a long warranty. 7 years is about as long as you get it, but 5 years is good as well. And check out Jonnyguru.com before buying, he has some highly advanced and expensive PSU testing equipment few reviewers bother purchasing. So make sure he has reviewed the product you're looking at, and if you're not that savvy you can skip to the conclusion. If there is anything under negative except maybe the price go find a different PSU. The competition on PSUs has been tough lately, so there is no reason to settle for anything bellow 9/10.
    Last edited by MMKing; 2015-04-09 at 10:54 PM.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

My first build was at least a decade ago, and a lot has changed in the industry since. Some enduring lessons over the years which I've learned the hard way are:

1. Never believe marketing hype - It doesn't pay to invest an additional $100 into features that you'll drool over but never use, e.g. dual LAN, optical audio out, fancy heatsink over the entire motherboard, etc.

2. Never be a scrooge on cooling - I got the cheapest after-market HSF and went without chassis cooling fans. As you could have guessed, the build was never stable until I changed my mind and got the right gear.

3. Two smaller screens is better (for me) than one large monitor - Never knew how I coped with having just one screen!

4. Placement of the chassis is important! - This depends on your preference and what's practical. My build stayed under the desk until I cleaned the dust out of it, during which I moved it onto the table. Next cleaning was less of a hassle.

5. Wifi add-on cards are meh - Got one with my first desktop build and the antenna cable was too short and too expensive to replace. Better to invest in a second router and have it double-up as a wireless bridge via LAN.

10+ Year Old Account
    That the larger the case, the better. I took an advice from people here and went with a "large mid-tower" case, and everything is quite cramped, I even decided not to get a second 980 GTX which I planned to get initially, since I am not sure it can fit in nicely. If I were to pick a case the second time, I would go with large big-tower, definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I learned never to attempt something you're not sure you can do, even if everyone tells you it's easy and all the videos online look like they'll help you. Ended up having to take her in anyway to a shop and had to dish out an extra hour's pay to the guys because of how badly I'd fucked up putting everything together lol.
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

LOL! All i can do is laugh!! My FIRST PC was in 1983, 640K of memory that i had to put the memory chips in one at a time, no mass array of memory as is today. Had a MASSIVE hard drive of 10M (mega bytes!!) and it cost me almost $600 to build. We thought that would NEVER get filled up. i sold it for $1,200, not bad for back then. The components now are very simple, yes you have to worry about heat, but is is all there for you to install. Now the most difficult part is deciding how much to spend. I hate the LEDs as well, i cut the wiring when it is not switchable. My most recent build is almost 4 years old (liquid cooled), about time to start thinking about a new one.

BA

I just recently put together a gaming PC, i can post the specs a bit later.

But knowledge, research and patience is (IMO) most important for a successful pc building.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    That the larger the case, the better. I took an advice from people here and went with a "large mid-tower" case, and everything is quite cramped, I even decided not to get a second 980 GTX which I planned to get initially, since I am not sure it can fit in nicely. If I were to pick a case the second time, I would go with large big-tower, definitely.
    If you were already thinking about sli, only choice is large towers. You want the space for it.

What did I learn, hm. I dismantled my first pc and rebuilded it just for the sake of learning (and was bored). Though at the time I wasn't too worried about temps, so I didn't change thermal paste. It was a celeron, so...
    And I still suck at cable management, though having a cheap tower doesn't help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    If you were already thinking about sli, only choice is large towers. You want the space for it.
    That's what I was going to do initially. But after listening to people's opinions here and on Tom's Hardware, I got the impression that a spacy mid tower can handle triple SLI without much trouble... Well, not exactly, turns out. In the end, I didn't really need SLI, since the performance of a single 980 outdid my expectations by a large margin. But still, if I were to pick a case second time, even without doing SLI, the space would definitely be priority number one.

Which leads me to another thing I've learned: do not trust online advice completely, always think to yourself as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    That's what I was going to do initially. But after listening to people's opinions here and on Tom's Hardware, I got the impression that a spacy mid tower can handle triple SLI without much trouble... Well, not exactly, turns out. In the end, I didn't really need SLI, since the performance of a single 980 outdid my expectations by a large margin. But still, if I were to pick a case second time, even without doing SLI, the space would definitely be priority number one.

Which leads me to another thing I've learned: do not trust online advice completely, always think to yourself as well.
    Christ, a mid-large tower for triple SLI? :| No way Jose. I mean, it could fit, but the thought of changing something after assembling it... not enough space for anything, I can only imagine the airflow (or lack of it).

Patience.

At 15, I didn't have any and computer parts paid the price.

My first build never started beacuse... Never swap between folding clothes and build a pc a couple of times during an evening...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    My first build never started beacuse... Never swap between folding clothes and build a pc a couple of times during an evening...
    Oh, wow. That indeed is a harsh lesson.

That if you're going to buy a big power supply, buy a large case too. My first build went swimmingly, besides from the cables being way too chunky to manage properly in such a small space. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    Didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Didn't get it.
    Static electricity.

That trying to cable manage stiff cables will you the cables bitch.

That fan filters are the best thing ever when running a heavy air cooling.

But mainly that saving up for almost a year for something you build yourself will make you value it 100x more.