Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Prot]Pawn Stat Weights

Hello guys,

I just leveled a prot warrior, so I'm very new to the class, but I was wondering for those of you who use pawn, which pawn stat weights do you use?

Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Mastery=Crit>Versatility >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything. not really sure what you mean with "pawn" though, because I am not a native speaker...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically what Shaungayle said, including the part about the pawn. I just want to add, that if you decide for either crit or Mastery then stick to that decision thereafter. dont enchant some parts crit and some parts mastery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by shaungayle View Post
    Mastery=Crit>Versatility >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything. not really sure what you mean with "pawn" though, because I am not a native speaker...
    Pawn is an addon you can enter stat weights(so numbers, not a priority) into and it compares items for you in-game.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Oh thanks for the clarification Tradu.. sounds interesting.. If Fury statweights wouldn't change with every single itemlevel I am getting I'd consider it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Basically what Shaungayle said, including the part about the pawn. I just want to add, that if you decide for either crit or Mastery then stick to that decision thereafter. dont enchant some parts crit and some parts mastery.
    Any real reason for that? Neither scale exponentially...

Quote Originally Posted by Damosapien View Post
    Any real reason for that? Neither scale exponentially...
    mastery scales with increasing returns. neither the block % or crit block % have any DR. they both increase in a linear fasion so it gets better the more you have of it.

parry still has DR so you will have a bit of defensive DR from crit. DPS gain from crit is much bigger though, so weigh that in your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    mastery scales with increasing returns. neither the block % or crit block % have any DR. they both increase in a linear fasion so it gets better the more you have of it.

parry still has DR so you will have a bit of defensive DR from crit. DPS gain from crit is much bigger though, so weigh that in your decision.
    Block does have diminishing returns.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by booi View Post
    Block does have diminishing returns.
    That is great. Another good argument for crit^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    parry does not have a dimishing retur asfaik

Quote Originally Posted by aerlins View Post
    parry does not have a dimishing retur asfaik
    Parry (through crit and strength) is also subject to diminishing returns.

Just to weigh in on enchanting both mastery and crit, I have begun to do so. At very high gear levels (702+ for me), and using the Blast Furnace door, it is now possible to soft cap mastery to get over 100% crit block chance when the trinket procs. When that happens, mastery is largely a wasted stat. As I continue to gear up, I am switching mastery gems and enchants to crit so that I stay under 100% crit block when the trinket is up.

I'm not the biggest min maxer so someone feel free to correct my logic if I'm wrong.

As for actual stat weights, I'd look at your current progression fight and decide:

1) Are melees the most threatening and do you have close to 100% uptime on shield block while tanking? go mastery
    2) Are melees the most threatening and are you actively tanking most of the time? go crit
    3) Are magic/bleeds/spikes the most threatening? go versatility

For myself, i gear around shield block being down and my stat weights work out to...

Basically boils down to:

Stamina = Bonus Armour > Versatility > Crit > Mastery

I suspect as the later tiers hit, versatility will become more popular as crit and mastery dr more, and versatility continues to give increasing gains.

More popular general weights are closer to:

Last edited by booi; 2015-04-07 at 12:32 AM.

Deleted
    This is the best example to show how retarded it actually is to base everything on TMI calculations. TMI should be a tool to help you calculate how strong certain stats actually are for certain szenarios. But it is defenitely NOT the only thing we should base our assumptions on.

Stamina is weak for most boss fights, you just don t need it. If you never drop below 150 k HP in a fight, you don t need more stamina, while it will decrease your TMI, it is still almost useless, but its value is out of scale if you are unable to survive certain szenarios because of to less HP (this isn t the case in any encounter atm. if you raid mythic and have adequate gear).

To post this scaefactors here will confuse a lot of warriortanks that are not too much into theory crafting.

To post this scaefactors here will confuse a lot of warriortanks that are not too much into theory crafting.
    It's a thread asking for stat weights...

This is the best example to show how retarded it actually is to base everything on TMI calculations. TMI should be a tool to help you calculate how strong certain stats actually are for certain szenarios. But it is defenitely NOT the only thing we should base our assumptions on.

Stamina is weak for most boss fights, you just don t need it. If you never drop below 150 k HP in a fight, you don t need more stamina, while it will decrease your TMI, it is still almost useless, but its value is out of scale if you are unable to survive certain szenarios because of to less HP (this isn t the case in any encounter atm. if you raid mythic and have adequate gear).
    The problem with this argument is that it holds true for all stats. If you're not at risk of dying then no stat is of any value. I still pursue defensive stats so that when our holy paladin dies, or when the other tank falls over you have the buffer to carry a wipe attempt over into a kill.

But Aerlins isn't wrong. If you're not at risk of dying, perhaps chase dps stat weights.

Deleted
    It's a thread asking for stat weights...

The problem with this argument is that it holds true for all stats. If you're not at risk of dying then no stat is of any value. I still pursue defensive stats so that when our holy paladin dies, or when the other tank falls over you have the buffer to carry a wipe attempt over into a kill.

But Aerlins isn't wrong. If you're not at risk of dying, perhaps chase dps stat weights.
    Other stats will let you take less dmg, so you need less heal, why would that be of "no value"? Do you really gem stamina?

- - - Updated - - -

if i have 4,5 % parry i will still need the same amount of crit to increase my chance to parry per 1 % then if i have 103,5 % parry. So where is the dimisihin return here? This is missleading imho.

if i have 4,5 % parry i will still need the same amount of crit to increase my chance to parry per 1 % then if i have 103,5 % parry. So where is the dimisihin return here? This is missleading imho.
    no raid buffs
    level 100 attacker
    0 crit rating
    1710 strength

0 crit rating puts me at 4.50% parry
    157 crit rating yields 1.00% more parry, bringing me to 5.5% parry

2000 crit rating puts me at 16.60% parry and 44.79% CTC
    157 crit rating yields 0.89% more parry, bringing me to 17.49% parry

10000 crit rating puts me at 54.67% parry
    157 more crit rating yields 0.62% more parry, bringing me to 55.29%

parry rating absolutely has diminishing returns on it (the same amount of crit rating nets less parry percent the higher up the ladder you go).

that isn't to say that more crit doesn't parry a higher percentage of unblocked/blocked melees the more you get, but because of how it plays against mastery and strength, i'll leave that discussion out of this. the above clearly shows that the equation for calculating our parry chance does use diminishing returns.

Other stats will let you take less dmg, so you need less heal, why would that be of "no value"? Do you really gem stamina?
    Other stats also have no value in the sense that you already don't drop below 150k health - might as well afk the fight.

I absolutely gem stamina, though I'm not expecting everyone to do the same, but rather to make an informed decision on what kills you as a tank or what holds your group back as a raid - and gear to plug those holes.

Stamina buys a lot of forgiveness in terms of mistakes on the tank's end and on the healer's end. It buys more time for hots and smart heals to pick you up. Spikes, not DTPS, is what kills tanks. Stamina is still the best protection against those spikes.

edit:
    Stamina also reduces the healing bandwidth you require by increasing efficiency on hots/passives and increasing the time that healers have to react to your health bar. Especially in a model where warriors reduce damage intake and remove spikes through barrier.

edit2:
    i like this image, it illustrates the difference between a stam flask, stam food and one stamina trinket.

it's a comparison between myself and a tank in my friends guild. they had trouble with their tank spiking hard and dying frequently. we were the same ilevel during this beastlord progression. despite their dtps reduction build they were certainly more difficult to heal.

Last edited by booi; 2015-04-07 at 03:55 PM.

Thank you Booi for being the first person to actually post stat weights in a thread about stat weights.

This posts make my head hurt...

I want to do something cool and simple, but im too lazy to....

In theory (in terms of optimization) there should be a point where +20 crit is worth less than +20 mastery. And situations where shield block < shield barrier, and versatility becomes more usefull... so, there we have a good start

Deleted
    @ booi:

our last beastlord darmac kill.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce=21&fight=32

I wasn t below 200 k at any time in the fight, why would i use more stamina?