Page 1 of 24
... LastLast
    Deleted

Comic Encourages Female Violence

I'm just going to link a page of a Wonder Woman comic for your analysis, what do you think is the message being given here:

(note that the lasso compels truth, so the man is tied up and already telling the truth - so why hit him?)

--

Reversing the genders:

Note that this second set of comics is not real, even though my amazing paint/photoshop skills would have you believe that it is
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-04-04 at 08:59 PM.

Or, stay with me here. It's showing the stupidity of such beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

I guess the message is that "mansplaining" deserves being punched in the head?

Deleted
    Superheroes are punching people all the time. Best friends start fighting to the death at the drop of a hat if some idealogical differences pop up (i.e civil war). In superhero logic punching someone for being a dick is completely reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    That womyn was clearly oppressed, and suffered from soggy knee. After she got triggered she simply had to punch him in a name of equality. Blame society.

It's a fictional character, they can do whatever the creative team wants.
    Does it perhaps symbolise how lots of women get so frustrated with the myopic opinions spouted by men that they'd rather hit the problem than try and argue with it?
    Yes. If that worries you, try not to be one of those men.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope atop the fourth wall does a review on this one. The problem with comics, or any medium of that nature, is the ideas and standards of the writer get put forward by the characters, projected by them, even if its completely against what people know of the character. Its the same shit that happened with amazons attack.

Deleted
    Mansplaining.

I do love these Tumblr words.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Or, stay with me here. It's showing the stupidity of such beliefs.
    Nope, you lost me.

Engaging him on an intellectual level is apparently above this particular group of comic book characters' heads.
    They're portrayed as the morally righteous side in this exchange, but their response to backwards beliefs is violence.

I get the point of the scene, but it shoots itself in the foot with its execution.

The dialogue is just there for the writer to soapbox directly to the reader. Hack frauds.
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post
    They're portrayed as the morally righteous side in this exchange, but their response to backwards beliefs is violence.
    Not a big fan of Wonder Woman, and that's pretty much the reason why.
    As Sosoulsu says, it is soapbox politics, but that is largely what social fiction is cut from, especially frequent deadline, pulp industry formats such as comics.

I'm largely indifferent as this is one page, and without the context (ie. the conclusion of the character in question) there's no way to tell if DC will hold the character to Hay's code over such a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    what is mansplaining and how was he doing it ?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's about as silly and politically bloated as Captain America. It's what happens when you combine the natural corniness of the Marvel/DC comics with a character tied to a political message. If you're reading into it beyond that, Comic Books probably aren't for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean super heroes and friends use violence to solve all of their problems?

NOOOOO, YOU DONT SAY!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You mean super heroes and friends use violence to solve all of their problems?

NOOOOO, YOU DONT SAY!
    Truly, only a super hero can turn a simple purse snatch into a horrible holocaust of flame and destruction that consumes half the city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Truly, only a super hero can turn a simple purse snatch into a horrible holocaust of flame and destruction that consumes half the city.

Especially if it is PURSE SNATCHIO! the greatest snatcher of all with the powers of snatching!

He was probably a dick.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Retarded comic encourages brain aneurysm more like.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post
    Engaging him on an intellectual level is apparently above this particular group of comic book characters' heads.

I get the point of the scene, but it shoots itself in the foot with its execution.

The dialogue is just there for the writer to soapbox directly to the reader. Hack frauds.
    But superheroes react to almost everything with violence. Fictional characters work on different moral compasses to us. Characters who kill dozens or even hundreds of people can be considered sparkling, morally white heroes.

That said, just from that one page it strikes me as too preachy for my liking. There's more subtle ways of putting feminism in your work. And I do hate the term mansplaining. It's just an ad-hominen attack - "you're a man so you're wrong." Surely if you disagree with someone you should be able to say why you disagree with them, and if your only reason is that they are a man, well you're just as bad. It discourages critical thinking and intelligent debate, and it dissuades men from using the feminist label, for fear that they will be seen as patronising mansplainers, regardless of what they're actually saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...what a stupid comic. I did like to play as Wonder Woman when I was younger, but certainly never wanted real life politics / gender issues to be a part of it.

Not to mention the dialogue is hillariously stupid and cheesy even for a comic.