Thoughts on Auto Hotkey

What are peoples thoughts on things like AutoHotkey. I was involved in a work place accident and I dont have full function of my hand. I cant spam keys as well as I used to so a friend got me set up with AHK with just a few basic keys. I use it in most games that require spamming keys, Ive made supplement set ups for different games. I was talking to another friend about it and they see it as cheating. I still have to hit the key, I still have to do the rotation, I still have to make the decisions, I just dont relentlessly hit my keys. Not sure if this is discussable here but Id like to get other peoples thoughts.

As long as it doesn't automate gameplay I would say there is nothing wrong with it.

AHK is nothing different than a Razer Naga or other similar mouses and a Razer Naga is pretty widely accepted.

Might be worth checking out this.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Might be worth checking out this.
    I use foot pedals that connect via usb as normal keybinds even with full function of my hands

Balls deep !
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Used it to make 3rd party macros for swtor because that game has wow's action bars and no macro system.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I personally don't consider any keyboard automation to be cheating. That said, in online games you play, make sure to read things like EULA carefully: most of them consider it unfair advantage over other players, and you can get banned for it. Specifically, almost all MMOs are very harsh about it.

I use Auto Hotkey myself extensively, but I never automate anything through it. Mostly I just assign right mouse button to Tab, so I don't have to hold right mouse button in RPGs most of the time and can just hold Tab instead. Also in some games you cannot reassign certain hotkeys (like, in Warcraft 3 you cannot assign "assign control group" key to Alt instead of Ctrl, while it is much more convenient for me to use Alt), and that's when AutoHotkey comes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using ahk that way is cheating. I dont care what reason you want to give to rationalize your behavior.

I see no problem using it the way you describe. I've even used it like that before. Mashing the same key over and over again with the same finger like that is bad for your wrists. When learning to play the piano, I was taught to keep switching fingers when repeatedly hitting the same key for that same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Using ahk that way is cheating. I dont care what reason you want to give to rationalize your behavior.
    Yeah man, fuck people with disabilities trying to find ways to keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on things like AutoHotkey. I was involved in a work place accident and I dont have full function of my hand. I cant spam keys as well as I used to so a friend got me set up with AHK with just a few basic keys. I use it in most games that require spamming keys, Ive made supplement set ups for different games. I was talking to another friend about it and they see it as cheating. I still have to hit the key, I still have to do the rotation, I still have to make the decisions, I just dont relentlessly hit my keys. Not sure if this is discussable here but Id like to get other peoples thoughts.
    I don't know if I buy this.

You can still reach and hit all of your keybinds, yet you're unable to lift your finger a fraction of an inch to press the same key more than once? If using the same key in succession is an issue for you, you should also be unable to press other keys for your other abilities.

Regardless, AHK is a good way to get banned. Pretty sure they added that to Warden's watchlist a long time ago.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

It's totally fine in most games that allow macroing of singular or timed actions. Which most video games do, btw. What is often disallowed is full automation.

Automation is different from a macro requiring direct input. Again, most TOS/EUSAs allow the latter not the former.

AHK is one tool. But also many "gaming" keyboards and mice feature built in macro functions that work just as well as AHK. Many of which are licensed and branded by game publishers.