Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    has a 100.5% GPA.
    Overachieving bastard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    What a racist post. Just because his black he can't be smart?
    And you would say the same thing if the new story was him holding up a corner store.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedia View Post
    Let's not forget both groups come from different backgrounds. Many Mexicans who cross the border come because they want to provide for their families since their economic situation in Mexico is pretty dire. Cubans immigrants on the other hand came from the educated middle and upper classes seeking to escape communism.

Also the US is more friendly to Cuban immigrants and so they can have more resources at their disposal.

Like Al Pacino in Scarface?

I ask because since, we are relying on media portrayals, and stereotypes.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-04-06 at 01:11 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

it looks like he is qualified on merits alone, and being a minority is in fact a plus to get accepted to schools..... so where's the story here?

it would be a story if he was rejected from all 8 schools or if he was some idiot that got accepted anyway, but this is not newsworthy whatsoever. good for him, move along

Just goes to show: hard work pays off for anyone with the necessary resolve.
    "Listen widely to remove your doubts and be careful when speaking about the rest, and your mistakes will be few..." — Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by vk8 View Post
    This is the kind of shit that makes my motivation venture to the deepest of caverns.
    Elaborate? A black person being academically successful makes you lose motivation? People not being dirtbags should give us all more motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    Obviously all the money his family got from those email scams has served him well.
    Coexist, unless you're Nigerian, or all of Africa.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: Good on the man!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Overachieving bastard.

Fuck, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreboding View Post
    Just goes to show: hard work pays off for anyone with the necessary resolve.
    Really, what if he is indeed the son of a family of scam artist and paid to grease the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Elaborate? A black person being academically successful makes you lose motivation? People not being dirtbags should give us all more motivation.
    Literally have nothing to do with him being black. Well it's hard to find motivation in something so far away from where you're at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally have nothing to do with him being black. Well it's hard to find motivation in something so far away from where you're at.
    Or when you have dickheads, trying to reinforce because of your skin color you are likely a fucking criminals, better at basketball, or genetically predisposed to being incapable.

Shit like that has a way of being a message sent to all corners of the globe, and it has for a long, long time.

Well it's hard to find motivation in something so far away from where you're at.
    We live in a globalized world that is not that big anymore.

Oh did you mean educationally? You don't have to go to an Ivy League school to get a good education, they are largely about networking anyways.

10+ Year Old Account

Oh did you mean educationally? You don't have to go to an Ivy League school to get a good education, they are largely about networking anyways.
    Which is another reason, racist complain about Affirmative Action, because if it really doesn't matter, then the truth is that it's more about influence.

Well i mainly meant his IQ-level, which probably is off the charts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    and comes from left field - cause nobody even thinks that

even the racist white people like this kid.
    I dunno, it only took a few posts before someone said "I would be more impressed if some white guy did the same thing."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Which is another reason, racist complain about Affirmative Action, because if it really doesn't matter, then the truth is that it's more about influence.
    The main concern in education and jobs is that a person with higher qualifications is passed over because they dont increase POC ratio. If a person is less qualified than their colleagues will be able to spot them from a mile away and will respect them less.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2015-04-06 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I dunno, it only took a few posts before someone said "I would be more impressed if some white guy did the same thing."
    He said poor white kid...Way to leave out an important part.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I'd be more impressed if it was a white guy who went to a low quality highschool and had no money
    Low income school and poor is quite an impressive hurdle to overcome no matter what your race.

Well i mainly meant his IQ-level, which probably is off the charts.
    Why do you say that? Like someone else pointed out, its probably rare that someone gets accepted to all eight because of the fact that nearly no one applies to all eight. Even his counselor said in her 29 years its never happened since most of the colleges look for different qualities. Not to mention the cost of applying. Seems each one is 75$ or above per. At 75$ it would cost 600$ to apply for all eight.

He applied to 13 colleges total. He dropped a lot of money just to apply to colleges. So I am sure that the combination of each one usually wanting a different type of person as well as the costs makes applying to all eight rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Why do you say that? Like someone else pointed out, its probably rare that someone gets accepted to all eight because of the fact that nearly no one applies to all eight. Even his counselor said in her 29 years its never happened since most of the colleges look for different qualities. Not to mention the cost of applying. Seems each one is 75$ or above per. At 75$ it would cost 600$ to apply for all eight.

He applied to 13 colleges total. He dropped a lot of money just to apply to colleges. So I am sure that the combination of each one usually wanting a different type of person as well as the costs makes applying to all eight rare.
    No normal kid with normal IQ would do this at his young age.

"He was named a 2015 Intel Science Talent Search semifinalist earlier this year for his research on how the acid DHA can slow Alzheimer's.

For Ekeh, the cause is personal. His grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when he was 11. One of his proudest moments was running home to tell his mother and aunts about the breakthroughs he was finding with DHA.

"When other kids would say, 'I want to be a superhero or police officer,' I would say, 'I want to know what is on the inside of us,'" he said.

Related: Stanford offers free tuition for families with less than $125,000

The key to success: Outside of the lab, Ekeh directs a youth choir at his church, plays the drums, is part of Key Club and Model UN and was elected to the Homecoming court. He speaks Igbo and Spanish and has a 100.5% GPA. He's proud of acing the AP History Exam despite his early struggles with the subject."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    What exactly is this a comparison of?
    i thought the same thing as well. with all due respect ( if you eat that ) who the fuck are you ? what are your accomplishments ?

what a retarded generation this is...
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

10+ Year Old Account
    How can a school be 99% minority? Dooesent that make them the majority? Lol.

On topic, good for him. Not sure why the fact he is Nigerian should make it a surprise to anyone as he article and op seem to suggest. We're you attempting to say people from Nigeria/immigrants are stupid so this is even more amazing or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Really, what if he is indeed the son of a family of scam artist and paid to grease the wheels?
    I can't tell if you are serious with this. The "Nigerian prince" scam is usually not run by actual Nigerians...
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    op seem to suggest. We're you attempting to say people from Nigeria/immigrants are stupid so this is even more amazing or something?.
    "He was named a 2015 Intel Science Talent Search semifinalist earlier this year for his research on how the acid DHA can slow Alzheimer's.

For Ekeh, the cause is personal. His grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when he was 11. One of his proudest moments was running home to tell his mother and aunts about the breakthroughs he was finding with DHA.

"When other kids would say, 'I want to be a superhero or police officer,' I would say, 'I want to know what is on the inside of us,'" he said.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland