Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Don't drink, don't do drugs, don't be promiscuous. It all sounds like being a model citizen to me if you just add, "always hold the door open and drive slow". I'm not ragging on these guys too hard because kudos for them being able to be sober but I don't exactly understand how it's "punk" if everyone was straight-edge then the war on drugs would be a critical success.

Are you straight edge? Do you consider it punk? If so, could you explain to me how it's fighting the establishment or if I'm understanding it wrong?
    First thing that popped into my mind when you said straight edge.

make two circles of friends. One straight edge and one that arn't. You can be friends with both but chances are those straight edge people will probably go further in life then the non straight edge one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    P.

Conclusive there's no straight edge scene.. Never seen it, never experienced it.
    It was here in the 80's if you went to shows. You would see everyone with an "X" on their hand. That signified being straight edge.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Don't do drugs, don't be promiscuous" I'm only down for the latter half. And I'm the only American alive who is, apparently.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It was here in the 80's if you went to shows. You would see everyone with an "X" on their hand. That signified being straight edge.
    You still see a couple of people time to time though but the general thing to be seems to true: They either did drugs to some extent, or they were total assholes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Like abstinence, they are fine in general. They aren't wrong in saying you shouldn't smoke, drink, or sleep around (excessively). However, it becomes an issue when they ONLY use that. In combination it is fine if you are educating them about smoking, drinking, and sex. Just saying "Having sex will give you aids and triplets" doesn't do anything. Saying "The only surefire way to not get pregnant is to not have sex, but if you are going to have sex here are things you should know..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it. It always strikes me as some weird notion that drinking automatically makes you act poorly in some way, or that casual sex is inherently bad.

I've never heard anyone make a coherent argument for it, usually just consist of "I don't like it" or "I've heard some horror stories"... Don't mind at all if people want to abstain from those things, I just don't get it as a movement or "scene".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Don't drink, don't do drugs, don't be promiscuous. It all sounds like being a model citizen to me if you just add, "always hold the door open and drive slow". I'm not ragging on these guys too hard because kudos for them being able to be sober but I don't exactly understand how it's "punk" if everyone was straight-edge then the war on drugs would be a critical success.

Are you straight edge? Do you consider it punk? If so, could you explain to me how it's fighting the establishment or if I'm understanding it wrong?
    To "be punk" isn't just about partying and such. It is about your views on the world and how it is controlled. It's about questioning establishment and putting the system on trial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    In the 90's as well. It still is a thing these days as well, but not often seen.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was straight edge up until this point :/
    sharing your body sexually with another person when there isn't even a true emotional bond there
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

I don't drink / smoke, but it's not to be part of some stupid group. I just don't like to dull my senses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Wait, what? Not drinking or doing drugs is "punk" now? Did I miss something?
    It's not that it is punk or not. There are many different types of "punks" Which is stupid anyhow, because part of "being punk" is to not be labeled. So to label themselves as Straight Edge is hypocritical. The idea of nonconformist groups is hypocritical anyhow.

My sarcastic comment to it has always been, "I'm so nonconformant that I conform to this nonconformity." It is really silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohhh, so we're talking about a subgroup of the existing "punk" group or something? That makes more sense.
    Yeah, the Straight Edge punks are a sub group of the Punk category.

I could be considered "straight edge" in that I don't drink, do any sort of drugs, don't smoke cigarettes or cigars or chew tobacco, and don't fuck around. But it isn't to be part of some edgy group. I don't do that stuff because I never saw the reason to. That, and everyone around me who did those things were not the brightest bulbs in the package. Of course, some of the "preppy" type kids, you know the ones who dress nice, have rich parents, are the sportsy types, probably did some of that stuff, but I was never made aware of that. But they were the ones that didn't shove that shit in your face all the damn time like the ones you can tell did that crap just by looking at them.

If you want to do that shit, more power to you. It is your body and you can do whatever you want to it. But don't get pissy with me when I refuse to accept your incessant attempts to get me to do it with you. As they say, "No means no."

Call me boring. I don't care. But I would rather spend my limited amount of money on things that don't go up in smoke or get pissed away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I could be considered "straight edge" in that I don't drink, do any sort of drugs, don't smoke cigarettes or cigars or chew tobacco, and don't fuck around. But it isn't to be part of some edgy group. I don't do that stuff because I never saw the reason to. That, and everyone around me who did those things were not the brightest bulbs in the package. Of course, some of the "preppy" type kids, you know the ones who dress nice, have rich parents, are the sportsy types, probably did some of that stuff, but I was never made aware of that. But they were the ones that didn't shove that shit in your face all the damn time like the ones you can tell did that crap just by looking at them.

If you want to do that shit, more power to you. It is your body and you can do whatever you want to it. But don't get pissy with me when I refuse to accept your incessant attempts to get me to do it with you. As they say, "No means no."

Call me boring. I don't care. But I would rather spend my limited amount of money on things that don't go up in smoke or get pissed away.
    I applaud you my good man. You understand what it is to be an individual. You don't need any silly labels to represent who you are. Good on you sir!

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds incredibly boring. Plus such people have a nasty tendency to want to impose their beliefs on the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It sounds incredibly boring. Plus such people have a nasty tendency to want to impose their beliefs on the rest of us.
    It sounds like a challenge to live a life of self-control and restraint, which wouldn't be boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It sounds incredibly boring.
    It really is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, humans in general like to do that. Many times when I tell someone I don't drink, I get all the usual lectures and attempts to get me to change my mind, too.
    Or being the least heavy drinker - typically I'll have an aperitif and then switch to non-alcoholic until dessert cocktails or sticky wine. Maybe one or two cocktails over the course of dinner.

"You're a pansy, drink more!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I suppose I fit into that category?
    I don't drink or do drugs, nor am I promiscuous, and I am generally courteous.
    But I don't drink or do drugs because I don't like them, and they are too expensive and have too many negative side effect for me to want to like them.
    I'm not promiscuous because I'm a) in a relationship, and b) not very social in the first place.
    And I'm generally a fairly courteous person because... I was raised that way? Idk, it's just how I am.

So I suppose I fit the bill, but by no specific effort or desire to on my part. And I have no idea what being punk has to do with it...

10+ Year Old Account
    I am 'straight edge' but I don't think of it as punk or anti-anything.

Its simply making the choice to not be a dumbass who pumps herself full of drugs and other shit that kills and/or poisons people. I've never been drunk, I've never been high, and I haven't touched a cigarette in around 22 years. To some that might be boring... I guess its a good thing I don't give a flying fuck what other people think.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.