Question Why are accounts with no posting record allowed to make new threads?

I am kinda confused why are brand new accounts that never posted anything anywhere allowed to make new threads?

A big chunk of these forums is SWARMED by those idiotic indian/chinese spam bots making threads about women-for-sale and other crap.

It is really a colossal shame that the current WoW discussion section has more spam bot posts than real posts about wow...

Please consider making it so only people with at least 20+ posts (replies/comments) can make a new thread.

+91 baba shamalala ding dong
    free psychiatric help for nike shoes on sale

Might be because they will just spam up with posts enough to make a thread, and then make the thread.
    Won't really stop them. Just make them spam some more.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Might be because they will just spam up with posts enough to make a thread, and then make the thread.
    Won't really stop them. Just make them spam some more.
    exactly.

Such an odd thing to complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I am kinda confused why are brand new accounts that never posted anything anywhere allowed to make new threads?

A big chunk of these forums is SWARMED by those idiotic indian/chinese spam bots making threads about women-for-sale and other crap.

It is really a colossal shame that the current WoW discussion section has more spam bot posts than real posts about wow...

Please consider making it so only people with at least 20+ posts (replies/comments) can make a new thread.
    Because, it wouldn't matter. They could post in other posts and spam those then create new threads. I've seen some sometimes post in other threads so it can happen. Also, if I recall usually when we catch a spam bot their posts are deleted. So if you are seeing more posts than real posts then please report them as we haven't dealt with the bot yet. This will help clear up the posts so you won't be seeing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many people register on the site for things like guild recruitment, asking questions related to their class, or troubleshooting raid parses. We want to continue to allow people to do that. We already have a lot of limitations in place for new users to limit spam (like being unable to post links), but we can't completely cripple new accounts.

Additionally -- as a few people have mentioned -- such a system encourages new users, whether real or spammers, to just make nonsense posts to hit that arbitrary threshold, which we don't want. Finally, when those kinds of limitations are in place, spammers just spam in existing threads, which actually is slower and harder for mods to clean up than a bunch of fresh threads.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Finally, when those kinds of limitations are in place, spammers just spam in existing threads, which actually is slower and harder for mods to clean up than a bunch of fresh threads.
    I'm pretty sure that both vBulletin and PHPBB3 allow you to nuke all of a user's posts and threads with a single click when you ban them, don't you have that feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm pretty sure that both vBulletin and PHPBB3 allow you to nuke all of a user's posts and threads with a single click when you ban them, don't you have that feature?
    I believe what Tziva meant is that if they had to post in other threads first then it would be harder to find them and ban them before they post too many times. Whereas now they create new threads which are easier to spot due to their nature and can get banned within 0-10 posts whereas posting in other threads they'd have to do it 10+ times to become more noticeable.

This makes it harder to read some conversations until the nuke bomb is hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    That feature is only available to global moderators and admins on MMO-C. Regular mods don't have the ability to nuke a person's post history, which means mods would have to delete everything in their forum manually in times when globals were unavailable.

But mostly I meant this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I believe what Tziva meant is that if they had to post in other threads first then it would be harder to find them and ban them before they post too many times. Whereas now they create new threads which are easier to spot due to their nature and can get banned within 0-10 posts whereas posting in other threads they'd have to do it 10+ times to become more noticeable.
    It's very easy to see some kind of thread called Black Magic Witch Penis Love is spam just from a half-second glance. We'd be relying on luck and post reports to catch in-thread spam, which means that a person would likely end up with a few dozen posts before we caught them, rather than two or three like it is now.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    How hard is to implement a delay in the new threads created by new users, something like you create a new account, you are allowed to create a new therad but until you have like 200+ posts you will have a 15 minute or 30 minute delay until you could create a new thread... Or establish a 2 consecutive thread creation limit to everyone... Most people don't create more then one thread at once, as far as i've seen, there is only a few exception.