10+ Year Old Account

Low carb, low sodium diet

Hey everyone,

Long story short, due to medical reasons, I need to get on a low carb, low sodium diet. I've made my own diets before, but in my experience they always end up...boring. So I thought I'd ask the great MMOC community what they eat for their diets and see what I can do to spice up my own. I weigh 110 lbs and am looking in the range of 1500-2000 calories a day. I plan on eating the typical 3 meals a day, with small snacks in-between. Here is an example of what I am looking for:

Roasted Salmon Fillet with Nectarine Salsa

CALORIES 215 cals
    Fat 7.0 g
    Saturated Fat 1.0 g
    Cholesterol 50 mg
    Sodium 91 mg
    Carbohydrates 10.0 g
    Fiber 1.6 g
    Total Sugars 8.0 g
    Protein 27.0 g
    Calcium 34.0 mg

It's interesting and hits my required intakes.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Give us some more information, how low do you want your carbohydrate intake? 30, 50, 60g a day? Sodium in mg? Then I can help you. Can you share your medical issue or would you rather keep that private?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm definitely aiming for under 100g carbs per day, around the 60g mark sounds manageable. I'm looking at under 1500mg sodium intake.

My condition is HPP.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post
    I'm definitely aiming for under 100g carbs per day, around the 60g mark sounds manageable. I'm looking at under 1500mg sodium intake.

My condition is HPP.
    If you haven't already, make sure to seek real medical advice, as nothing on these forums should be construed as any form of medical advice or suggestions. However since diet is a basic function of human well-being I would suggest you stick to your non-starchy vegetables and fruits, walnuts, almonds, fish, chicken (without skin), beef (unsalted) etc...

I would absolutely stay away from pork (yes this includes bacon ) seeing as theses are very salty foods already. I am assuming you researched HPP a little, I am not an expert, nor claim to be, but this site seems like a reliable source for some of your questions.

http://hkpp.org/patients/diet-for-hypokalemic_pp

Make sure to read the entire page, it provides some decent information, knowing about your affliction is the first step to managing it. Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I've been in close contact with my doctor and he's let me know that I can have freedom in my diet as long as I don't overdo carbs and sodium. So on top of...sadly, removing things I love such as pork, I'm on the lookout for "fun" recipes so my diet isn't too boring

Did your doctor set the carb intake level?

Due to some problems in my life, I became extremely depressed and started eating too much. In the end, I gained too much weight and my health also started declining and It was a complete mess. Fortunately, my friends and family helped me in this situation and motivated me to lose extra weight and get in shape again. I didn't go for any particular type of diet although I too avoided sodium and carbs. I avoided all kinds of processed and junk foods and started eating some healthy foods especially super foods like leafy greens, lean meat, fish, nuts etc. and started exercising regularly. In just 3,4 months my weight significantly reduces and now I've lost almost all of my annoying fat. Just be consistent and determined and you can easily lose weight.So if you're looking for the best way to lose weight fast just follow these tips.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deeyar View Post
    try this shake, it's glorious as fuck. High protein, low carbs, low fats. It taste really good.

1 scoop of protein powder
    1/2 to 1 cup of greek yogurt (unflavored) or quark
    Spinach (optimal, doesn't even taste when mixed up in your shake and adds good micro nutrients)
    Frozen berries
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    about a cup of water? Adjust for the consistency you want

At the end you have very high protein, 70-95g depending how you do it, low carbs (<20) and it tastes really good. Basically like a berry smoothie with a peanut butter taste to it.
    Berries are some of the best fruit you can eat due to their extremely high antioxidant/vitamin B content, plus they kind of overpower all other fruits in shakes in terms of taste, with exception to mango and pineapple. Definitely recommend this shake.

berries r the golden fruits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deeyar View Post
    try this shake, it's glorious as fuck. High protein, low carbs, low fats. It taste really good.
    This is pretty much my morning routine, except instead of water I use almond milk.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This is pretty much my morning routine, except instead of water I use almond milk.
    Interesting fact: Almond farming is one of the main contributors towards California's drought.

Piece of advice, take it slow. Don't jump into it all at once especially if you were previously on a high salt high carb diet as you will fizzle out very quickly.