Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    She does a ton of stuff in the Garrison Campaign quests.
    Some might say that she did too much in too little time, by receiving the Naaru symbol-thing from Velen himself and then becoming an Exarch alongside names like Akama and Maladaar so quickly.

I really like her character, but I'd actually have preferred if we had seen more of Yrel struggling with the situation and helping us, but less of Yrel reaping all the rewards so quickly. I don't know how far Blizzard is taking her character, but an event like her becoming an Exarch seems more like an end-of-expansion thing, after some major events have taken place.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD is a little over 4 months old, FFS. Give it time.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I agree that there should be more attention paid to those narratives. I'd like a mini-team of developers which was solely responsible for small and regular updates to the ongoing lore in the entire game world. Whether small pieces of dialogue among NPCs in Elwynn Forest or lore-centric quest chains resolving the conflicts at Gilneas.
    To me, some of the biggest storylines that keep getting sidelined are things like Gnomeregan still being irradiated, Gilneas is a literal ghost town, and what ever happened to Magatha Grimtotem? That's not counting what is happening with racial leaders. How is Baine dealing with leadership after his father's death? What is happening with Sylvannas and that blood elf death knight she punished from Andorhal? Hell, we still haven't seen Gallywix in game, have we? I don't count the SoO cinematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think that yrel could use some more manliness. Maybe more muscles and posing at her enemies. She also needs to get rid of that...whatever accent she has and get a book with some good one liners (because some of her lines are just meh). She should also bite someones ear off.
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeSchmorde View Post
    But they took her through the Stargate into Narnia where she got revived by the Doctor, no?
    Dear God...

OT: It's not that Yrel went anywhere, but that once the characters only have so much screen time to show off. She's a major player in Talador and Shadowmoon, takes a back seat in Nagrand and Gorgrond, and is completely absent from the other two zones. Thrall, Khadgar and Reshad have to get some love too, right? Etc etc. After the questing experience is over, the garrison campaign only briefly updates each character's story. Yrel got her own entire garrison campaign arc while all the other characters only appeared for a few quests. IMO, she has had far more screen time compared towards the others.

Again, she didn't go anywhere, but that story time is limited, especially once the questing is over. If 6.1 were to add a new zone and/or campaign, everyone - including her - would get some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Dear God...

OT: It's not that Yrel went anywhere, but that once the characters only have so much screen time to show off. She's a major player in Talador and Shadowmoon, takes a back seat in Nagrand and Gorgrond, and is completely absent from the other two zones. Thrall, Khadgar and Reshad have to get some love too, right? Etc etc. After the questing experience is over, the garrison campaign only briefly updates each character's story. Yrel got her own entire garrison campaign arc while all the other characters only appeared for a few quests. IMO, she has had far more screen time compared towards the others.

Again, she didn't go anywhere, but that story time is limited, especially once the questing is over. If 6.1 were to add a new zone and/or campaign, everyone - including her - would get some stuff.
    That's largely because there weren't any max level quest hubs. We miss like the entire ground war in Talador with the Iron Horde and nearly all of the war in Shattrath with the Legion. I imagine that's where Yrel would be, but since we don't actually get to see those things happening we don't see what she's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    That's largely because there weren't any max level quest hubs. We miss like the entire ground war in Talador with the Iron Horde and nearly all of the war in Shattrath with the Legion. I imagine that's where Yrel would be, but since we don't actually get to see those things happening we don't see what she's doing.
    Also this.

Not to change the topic, but the removal of daily quest hubs hurt the game in more ways then one, the lore included. Imagine if the Klaaxi rep didn't happen; we'd never have seen the rebellion against the Empress or the war against the Sha. What if the Shado-Pan rep didn't happen? We'd never have seen all that cool history behind the continent or Taran-Zhu's story.

Same thing here; now, imagine if the Shatari Defense or Council of Exarchs had actual quest hubs; we would've seen alot more Yrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Yrel is rushed and not even Alliance but then, they sacrificed original universe Maraad and AU Velen for her. So you get none for the price of two!
    I'm pretty sure Maraad's story was just cut completely, and that he and her were going to kind of have opposite approaches, him the more vengeful one and her the more calculating one. They even said Maraad would basically become a warlord of draenor (but I guess a lot of them die early, so that could be consistent with his pointless story). But all that was cut out, and it seems like a lot of Yrel's story was just gone as well without much of a replacement. She just kind of becomes exarch after Nagrand, then shows up at the tanaan gate at the end of the garrison questline. Like what are they doing? Seems like a lot of story was just cut when they changed the zones, and we are left with bits and pieces.

It would be nice if they wrote a book about the events of WoD, because so much story just seems missing. Like what is even up with Ogrim?

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    She fights grom while they wear nothing but loincloths and she bites his ear off?
    Shut up and take my money!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, shocking the female was kicked to the curb after initial launch content. The advertising lied to me! No wait, they only payed attention to her at the beginning, oh well.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    — Winston Churchill

Deleted
    If you spell Yrel backwards, you got Lery.

Also this.

Not to change the topic, but the removal of daily quest hubs hurt the game in more ways then one, the lore included. Imagine if the Klaaxi rep didn't happen; we'd never have seen the rebellion against the Empress or the war against the Sha. What if the Shado-Pan rep didn't happen? We'd never have seen all that cool history behind the continent or Taran-Zhu's story.

Same thing here; now, imagine if the Shatari Defense or Council of Exarchs had actual quest hubs; we would've seen alot more Yrel.
    Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. Instead of getting stories about the people and places of Draenor we got the garrison campaign which was mostly, "Go do random things with ogres/rexxar/goblins because reasons and stuff," when it would have been so much better to have a progressive story of the battle for Shattrath and the war in Talador.

the characters only have so much screen time to show off.
    They might have more if we werent busy doing things like fighting spiders in a mine in talador for example. lvl.95 content thats identical to stuff in tirisfal/silverpine in the first 10. The best example that comes to mind of "this could have been story blizzard" that makes a lot of areas feel abandoned in development and phoned in at the last minute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd View Post
    If you spell Yrel backwards, you got Lery.
    Dear god it all makes so much sense now...

Anyway, kinda wish they didnt take out daily hubs (never wanted them gone myself). I agree that it feels like so much more story is put into the daily hubs in MoP, wouldve liked that here.
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Yrel is rushed and not even Alliance but then, they sacrificed original universe Maraad and AU Velen for her. So you get none for the price of two!
    I'd have to echo my voice with Deleth here. Yrel was a HORRIBLE trade made by blizzard. Just trying to pander to the barrage of women constantly naggin for some-one woman to take a lead. Seriously, Blizzard asked the devs every fucking year atleast twenty women hit that mic about representation.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    They might have more if we werent busy doing things like fighting spiders in a mine in talador for example. lvl.95 content thats identical to stuff in tirisfal/silverpine in the first 10. The best example that comes to mind of "this could have been story blizzard" that makes a lot of areas feel abandoned in development and phoned in at the last minute.
    Would be nice if they had a lot more character story quests, and not so many filler quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Yrel is a bad bitch and the only good thing to come out of this expansion.
    I lost my footing, reading this on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedomoazul View Post
    I'd have to echo my voice with Deleth here. Yrel was a HORRIBLE trade made by blizzard. Just trying to pander to the barrage of women constantly naggin for some-one woman to take a lead. Seriously, Blizzard asked the devs every fucking year atleast twenty women hit that mic about representation.
    Why was it a trade? They could have just left Maraad in obscurity where he has been for years and no one would notice the difference. It's not like he was some major draenei character that people would notice was missing. Prior to WoD his only claim to fame was being in that god awful comic with Med'an.

I was glad to finally get a recognizable female draenei figure. There are literally no recognizable female draenei in the story. She really could have been a great character if her story wasn't cut. I like the idea of seeing a character grow like she does (although it seems very rushed), instead of them being super powerful and perfect when they show up.

15+ Year Old Account
    I disagree. A strong female character would have been great. But they did a short term pandering that will placate the vocal minority for now but will ultimately leave no lasting impact. Meanwhile we will probably be saddled with more manly men doing stupid war stuff in the next expansion. Probably orcs if the devs can swing it. They could have added Yrel to be a big character, not unlike how Garrosh was introduced. Give her some strong story and give her some reason to possibly tag along with us to MU Azeroth. Then we could spend a little time every expansion watching her story grow. But they shoved all her story in 6.0 and will probably leave her as an Exarch in Draenor and try to forget she ever existed.

It's lazy story writing and just tossing in a token woman because they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I disagree. A strong female character would have been great. But they did a short term pandering that will placate the vocal minority for now but will ultimately leave no lasting impact. Meanwhile we will probably be saddled with more manly men doing stupid war stuff in the next expansion. Probably orcs if the devs can swing it. They could have added Yrel to be a big character, not unlike how Garrosh was introduced. Give her some strong story and give her some reason to possibly tag along with us to MU Azeroth. Then we could spend a little time every expansion watching her story grow. But they shoved all her story in 6.0 and will probably leave her as an Exarch in Draenor and try to forget she ever existed.

It's lazy story writing and just tossing in a token woman because they don't care.
    There really wouldn't be reason for her to go to Azeroth even if she wasn't Exarch, all her people are on Draenor. If they want her to go to Azeroth they'll make up a reason at the end of the expansion regardless.

Though she's a draenei so the likelihood of her being forgotten for the next 8 years is very high.