Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    But you didnt have a contract that FOX committed to you to make Firefly for the rest of your life. Also this financially impacts the man whereas cancelling Firefly doesnt affect your finances. This guy never had to buy food again while the contract was in effect
    My heart had a contract with Firefly...and they broke it.

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

For some reason i now have a mental picture of the Monthy python sketch with the after eight mint.

Bullet sir?

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    So what you're saying is that a business who has NOTHING to gain by expelling a dude who won a prize (yes, the save a tiny amount of money.. for a massive PR negative that costs money to fix, meaning that expelling him COSTS them money) for no reason at all and that a guy, who has a written history of stalking one of the workers, was totally innocent and wouldn't lie at all.

This is why we need sex androids so it can replace those poor, displaced servers.

Buffet the vampire slayer! Get it, because a vampire is a parasite that eats for free or something. I'll get my coat.
    that was *shameful*. even accounting for the lack of humor brits have

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    For some reason i now have a mental picture of the Monthy python sketch with the after eight mint.

Bullet sir?
    it's just a little wafer theeeen!

7+ Year Old Account
    His suicide note said thats why he killed himself. He also had logs of all the things they did to him and which employees haraassed him
    What he's trying to say is that HE killed himself. HE put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Not the women, not anyone else. Him.

It was his own state of mind and lack of will.
    Last edited by Hauntlander; 2015-04-07 at 06:28 PM.

The planning part had to do with the artifacts he wanted found on him by later archeologists. He had spent several days deciding, much longer than he had spent deciding to kill himself. He would be found lying on his back, on his bed, with a copy of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and an unfinished letter to Exxon, protesting the cancellation of his gas credit card. That way, he would indict the system, and achieve something by his death, over and above what the death itself achieved.

One time, I was sitting in an international style buffet, nothing too unusual. You've seen a million that are basically the same. I had only recently arrived and was preparing to leave for the food counters after ordering my drink. Then I noticed an unfolding situation, in which a very large man was being confronted by a short, middle-aged Chinese man, who was clearly either the manager or on the management staff of the establishment. He had a very, very thick accent. The man's table was strewn with at least a dozen plates, 10 glasses, and a whole lot of cloth napkins. Now, most of these buffets have clear signs showing that there's a built in time limit, or that have rules against wasting the food or disposing of too much of it, so let that be a little bit of context. The conversation went something like this:

Manager: "You must leave now."

Large Man: "What? Why?"

Manager: "You here for four hours. You waste the food."

Large Man: Wait, wait! That's not true. I've eaten everything I took back to the table!"

Without missing a beat the manager strikes back with "You can eat food and still waste it."

This was before the cursing out began. But that zinger always stuck with me.

Killing yourself is a good way to prove your sanity.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The planning part had to do with the artifacts he wanted found on him by later archeologists. He had spent several days deciding, much longer than he had spent deciding to kill himself. He would be found lying on his back, on his bed, with a copy of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and an unfinished letter to Exxon, protesting the cancellation of his gas credit card. That way, he would indict the system, and achieve something by his death, over and above what the death itself achieved.
    Oh god that guy will be later recovered as martyr that fought back the gas industry.

His suicide note said thats why he killed himself. He also had logs of all the things they did to him and which employees haraassed him
    While he might say that's why he killed himself, it's clear that he was a very disturbed and depressed man. His internal rationalization for killing himself is not the actual cause of death - it's just what he told himself so he could pull the trigger.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pundit View Post
    One time, I was sitting in an international style buffet, nothing too unusual. You've seen a million that are basically the same. I had only recently arrived and was preparing to leave for the food counters after ordering my drink. Then I noticed an unfolding situation, in which a very large man was being confronted by a short, middle-aged Chinese man, who was clearly either the manager or on the management staff of the establishment. He had a very, very thick accent. The man's table was strewn with at least a dozen plates, 10 glasses, and a whole lot of cloth napkins. Now, most of these buffets have clear signs showing that there's a built in time limit, or that have rules against wasting the food or disposing of too much of it, so let that be a little bit of context. The conversation went something like this:

Manager: "You must leave now."

Large Man: "What? Why?"

Manager: "You here for four hours. You waste the food."

Large Man: Wait, wait! That's not true. I've eaten everything I took back to the table!"

Without missing a beat the manager strikes back with "You can eat food and still waste it."

This was before the cursing out began. But that zinger always stuck with me.
    The old human dustbin effect, it truly astonishes me that some people can empty their stomach at the same rate they can fill it. I once saw a man eat for an hour straight without a break, the greedy bastard then complained that there was no dessert.

Buffet the vampire slayer! Get it, because a vampire is a parasite that eats for free or something. I'll get my coat.
    i liked it

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    It seems kind of petty to kill yourself over that, there must've been some other causes.
    Guy sounds like he had some serious mental issues to kill himself ​over being banned from a buffet.

Do you think the Buffet should be held responsible for this since they broke the contract and caused him to kill himself?

Normally I would side on the side of business if he had a bad experience, but this was a revocation of a lifetime of free food. I suspect they no longer wanted to honor the deal and made his experiences there as miserable as possible so he wouldnt come back, and it didnt work so he started getting nasty with the staff.
    No. Based on what I read, the man was depressed for some time and on top of that was harassing employees...in no way would a court hold a restaurant liable for a suicide due to denial of service.

Store giveaways like "food for life" or "lifetime supply of dog food" tend to have stipulations in the contract for contrast entry, so the buffet might have been well within its rights to terminate such a contract.

I didn't read anything in the article what would lead to reasonable suspicion that the buffet was trying to make his experiences "as miserable as possible", I suppose it's possible but I think it's more likely that the individual in question had some issues with mental illness.

10+ Year Old Account
    The old human dustbin effect, it truly astonishes me that some people can empty their stomach at the same rate they can fill it. I once saw a man eat for an hour straight without a break, the greedy bastard then complained that there was no dessert.
    I can sympathize a bit if he truly keeps feeling hungry for some reason, but after the fifth or sixth place he should be pretty full.

We're probably dealing with the antichrist that personifies gluttony after the sixth plate.

Good riddance. I'm glad he removed himself from the gene pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cutting off service for not following rules = Making him kill himself?
    Quite the leap in logic there, even for you Orlong!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Guy sounds like he had some serious mental issues to kill himself ​over being banned from a buffet.
    i just hope he didnt breed...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I can sympathize a bit if he truly keeps feeling hungry for some reason, but after the fifth or sixth place he should be pretty full.

We're probably dealing with the antichrist that personifies gluttony after the sixth plate.
    The same guy went to an Indian buffet and stuffed himself, an hour later at home he asked us all if we wanted to order Pizzas, we were gobsmacked.