Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's much easier for a white kid growing up in a rich suburb to be the best than it is for a poor black kid in harlem to be, because of hundreds of years of oppression. I mean just 50 years ago blacks weren't even allowed to drink from the same water fountains and now everyone is trying to act like we all started on an even playing field xD
    Meanwhile that African kid gets accepted into all the top schools.

I feel that we need to eliminate race from the app altogether. Someone in need of a heart transplant probably doesn't give two shits about whether their doctor came from a poor background or not. They want the best, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    Meanwhile that African kid gets accepted into all the top schools.

I feel that we need to eliminate race from the app altogether. Someone in need of a heart transplant probably doesn't give two shits about whether their doctor came from a poor background or not. They want the best, period.
    That African kid is an outlier in every way...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Guy misses the point. School wants diversity. Asians and Whites are over represented in the medical field.
    why? the school doesnt want it, liberals want it - why? cant stand on your own? so get a ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Are you for real??? There is no room for diversity, the best qualified should be the people getting in. Doesn't matter about race or creed, being the best should be all that matters.
    Amen to this!

Do you want a doctor who got into med school because of quota's or do you want a person who ran a perfect GPA to operate on you?

This is why I dislike AA, it's not a solution to the real problem and worse it promotes racism. Only AA statues discriminate against non-minorities (ie whites and asians.)

Want to be a doctor and you have awesome grades with perfect selectivity but oh look your asian? Too bad! Maybe you should should have majored in women's studies instead or been born a difference race I guess.

So much for equal opportunity.

You proved my point lol. When an African kid gets accepted into all the top schools it makes NATIONAL NEWS. It's news because the odds are stacked against them and they overcame it.
    It's also news because they're a business and they play into what will get viewership. This is why you don't trust the news to give an accurate picture or representation of the world. The "war on christmas" is a great example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raxis View Post
    Amen to this!

Do you want a doctor who got into med school because of quota's or do you want a person who ran a perfect GPA to operate on you?

This is why I dislike AA, it's not a solution to the real problem and worse it promotes racism. Only AA statues discriminate against non-minorities (ie whites and asians.)

Want to be a doctor and you have awesome grades with perfect selectivity but oh look your asian? Too bad! Maybe you should should have majored in women's studies instead or been born a difference race I guess.

So much for equal opportunity.
    Does it actually matter "how" they got into med school if they are the top of their class? Also AA promotes racism and makes it worse? Wtf?

Oh right I completely forgot;

You can't be racist against white people because of reasons!

Sorry my bad!I shall report to my local SJW re-education camp ASAP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    why? the school doesnt want it, liberals want it - why? cant stand on your own? so get a ladder
    Just like the myriad if white students that did the same before.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

the War on Christmas is exclusive to Fox News lol.
    It's the same mechanism in action. Exploit an issue for money -> misleading picture of the world.

This just reminded me of how sad it is that I have a 3.0 GPA...

Better than the garbage I had before when I was going through basically a huge depression in my life.

That being said, I'm not sure what's the point of this anyway. Kinda sad to think that there's gonna be a book about it and he's gonna make more money, like, they'll publish books about anything now eh?

Racism against white people totally exists, but institutional racism against the majority race in the country is pretty much literally impossible.
    I agree with you there on the US, but wasn't something like South Africa or Kenya one case that contradicts this?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You proved my point lol. When an African kid gets accepted into all the top schools it makes NATIONAL NEWS. It's news because the odds are stacked against them and they overcame it.
    Depends on which African nation.

I'm unsure if i'm right, but theres a difference between African Americans and African blacks. I'm not sure if one has it worse or better though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    This just reminded me of how sad it is that I have a 3.0 GPA...

Better than the garbage I had before when I was going through basically a huge depression in my life.

That being said, I'm not sure what's the point of this anyway. Kinda sad to think that there's gonna be a book about it and he's gonna make more money, like, they'll publish books about anything now eh?
    3.1 here, really pushing for a 3.3 for law school apps this fall.

A 3.0 isn't bad. What's your major?

I would agree with you if EVERY NEWS NETWORK was promoting the war on Christmas, but it's only the right-wing one. Thats a false equivalency, like saying all NBC does is talk about missing planes using holograms because CNN does it.
    Hm? That's not what I said, I just said that news corps exploit issues for money - fox news war on christmas, or white on black crime on others. They each play to a demographic and exploit stories to rile them up and get viewers. In the end you have to shrug off the exposure and get a bit grounded from the sensationalism.

Perfect student with a 4.0 are a dime a dozen when it comes to Asians, what do they really bring culture wise when they're overrepresented already? If they were underrepresented this thread wouldn't exist. Now if they cured cancer they would for sure get in, because that's interesting.
    I dont give a fuck if my doctors are "cultured."

10+ Year Old Account
    Am i the only one who is bothered by the phrase African American? My grandma came here from Poland, I'm not a Polish-American xD
    Slightly off-topic i suppose, but that just popped into my head.
    Meh.

Reason I mentioned is is because my fav ecnomics teacher is a Liberian immigrant.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    3.1 here, really pushing for a 3.3 for law school apps this fall.

A 3.0 isn't bad. What's your major?
    It was a computer art degree, only a 2-3 year one though, I finished with a 3.0, but I'm switching degrees anyway...or starting a new one I guess?

It's just disappointing to me because I got like what, an 1800 or something on my SAT when I took it which was apparently good, then I screwed up in college because breakup.

How do you intend to include historically oppressed peoples? The issue tends to be that black and Hispanics are disproportionately poor, which has a direct effect upon grades.
    Actually they go to highschools with ridiculously easy classes and have extremely inflated GPA's then largely fail in college due to under-preparedness. Makes the curves easier for the whites and Asians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It was a computer art degree, only a 2-3 year one though, I finished with a 3.0, but I'm switching degrees anyway...or starting a new one I guess?

It's just disappointing to me because I got like what, an 1800 or something on my SAT when I took it which was apparently good, then I screwed up in college because breakup.
    SO what just a 2 year? A good chunk of your credits transfer over I think.

And....this is why I say we're far too young to be in serious relationships.

Our futures uncertain; outlooks are frail; markets are prone to fail.

You're investing time and energy on things that could otherwise be speant on YOU. Worry about a relationship when you find your place in this world and a decent job. Doing these things get you a better grade of poon anyway.

Why does diversity in the medical field matter more than accepting the best candidates?

Okay, black people and Spanish people have it harder in general. Why does compensating for that and accepting lesser qualified applicants from said pool matter more than having the best doctors?