Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by aerlins View Post
    But anyway, several smaller spikes can have the same TMI (or even a bigger one) then one big spike.
    Actually, that isn't the case. The way Theck has set TMI up is such that the bigger spikes always make a bigger score than smaller ones. It's a metric that measures spike size after all, so that's entirely the point. The updated metric basically shows in thousands the percent of health the spikes are. 120k would mean spikes are pretty close to 120% of your total health. A single spike of 120% of your health will -always- be higher than sets of "spikes" that only do 60% of one's health.

To better illustrate that, let's consider two scenarios: One where the character takes 120% spike damage in the first damage window and 0 in the second, and one where both windows get 60% damage in each. Which one is more likely to kill the player? The first scenario of course. And that would be reflected in the TMI score. The first would get a TMI of 120k, the second one would only get a TMI of 60k. Same total damage, but the first one is clearly more dangerous.

The key is damage during that window. If you're trying to say that a single hit in the 4-6 seconds that's 120% of one's health and two hits for 60% health each also in that 4-6 seconds are the same, then you'd be correct. It's all about the timing of the hits.

Taking a bunch of 80% hits might bring the TMI up to 88-90k range, but that range is certainly smaller than what your sentence I quoted would seem to suggest.
    Last edited by Jackielope; 2015-04-10 at 01:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Deleted
    I find TMI such a funny metric.

I, a druid tank, was the Sorka tank, while our warrior was the Marak tank. I ended up with a lower TMI despite taking 35 million damage overall while he took 18 million. I guess it also makes it a decent one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackielope View Post
    Actually, that isn't the case. The way Theck has set TMI up is such that the bigger spikes always make a bigger score than smaller ones. It's a metric that measures spike size after all, so that's entirely the point. The updated metric basically shows in thousands the percent of health the spikes are. 120k would mean spikes are pretty close to 120% of your total health. A single spike of 120% of your health will -always- be higher than sets of "spikes" that only do 60% of one's health.

To better illustrate that, let's consider two scenarios: One where the character takes 120% spike damage in the first damage window and 0 in the second, and one where both windows get 60% damage in each. Which one is more likely to kill the player? The first scenario of course. And that would be reflected in the TMI score. The first would get a TMI of 120k, the second one would only get a TMI of 60k. Same total damage, but the first one is clearly more dangerous.

The key is damage during that window. If you're trying to say that a single hit in the 4-6 seconds that's 120% of one's health and two hits for 60% health each also in that 4-6 seconds are the same, then you'd be correct. It's all about the timing of the hits.

Taking a bunch of 80% hits might bring the TMI up to 88-90k range, but that range is certainly smaller than what your sentence I quoted would seem to suggest.
    I m not that good in math, so i m not able to understand ever detail from the calculation. Im pretty sure the guy(s) that have made it are pretty smart, and thats why TMI is a great tool. But even tho i m not really into math, i know one thing, at some point there has to be a value for how one single big spike or several smaller effect your TMI, and this value is set due to assumptions, you can not really calculate this value (you could use big databases of statistics for it maybe), but it does not consider a lot of things, like the tankclass you play, your healer setup, the actual encounter, how stressfull something is for your healers and a lot more things.

For example, as a monk tank, you don t mind droping to 30 % hp, because you ll just use ur guard and double selfheal, your completely safe at this point if you know what your doing, while as a warrior i m not really comfortable with droping to 30 % hp.

All i m trying to say is, especially for the 4pc vs 2pc, where the difference is really small, TMI calculation is a great tool, but does not prove any other arguments wrong.
    Last edited by mmoc5265a260e8; 2015-04-10 at 10:59 AM.

Deleted
    No offense, but this isnt a question of understanding something, its just raw math with a lot of missing points.

Its a breakdown of how it works in a void. The numbers are arbitrary just like simcraft. You read the raw information and use the thing between your ears from there. Everyone knows warriors don't generally die to blockable damage so the set bonus is meh.
    You and other warriors have used 4pc math to make the informed decision that it's shit.

So how is my first post wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuben View Post
    I find TMI such a funny metric.

I, a druid tank, was the Sorka tank, while our warrior was the Marak tank. I ended up with a lower TMI despite taking 35 million damage overall while he took 18 million. I guess it also makes it a decent one.
    TMI is not damage taken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    Its a breakdown of how it works in a void. The numbers are arbitrary just like simcraft. You read the raw information and use the thing between your ears from there. Everyone knows warriors don't generally die to blockable damage so the set bonus is meh.
    You and other warriors have used 4pc math to make the informed decision that it's shit.

So how is my first post wrong.
    Its not wrong at all.

But what TE did is just very basic math. I mean i know how to do simple math, but when i have to calculate 763,37 x 43,12 i will just type it in the calculator, because calculating it myself will just waste time and don t give me a better understanding of how math works, that was what i m trying to tell. Or have you found any information in TE s post that gave u insight into anything you didn t knew allready?

Nonetheless its a good thing what TE does, it just won t offer any new informations....but as we see, it forced people to reconsider things, use simcraft, engage with this theme.....and within that process maybe someone got some knowledge (like me, i was sure 2pc > 4pc in TMI and DTPS, since i have allready simcrafted it some time ago, probably did a mistake)

Nonetheless its a good thing what TE does, it just won t offer any new informations....but as we see, it forced people to reconsider things, use simcraft, engage with this theme.....and within that process maybe someone got some knowledge (like me, i was sure 2pc > 4pc in TMI and DTPS, since i have allready simcrafted it some time ago, probably did a mistake)
    That's really what I was looking for. I am not 100% sure that I am right, I just wanted to present my logic for using 4pc and see what everyone does with the information. I am always open to hearing a good argument for the other side, so thanks for being there for that!

thank you for this thread. a guild mate asked me about this last night. *fury warrior having to be the 3rd tank for some mythic bosses.

Hey just a quick question for you guys. I got 4-piece last week. This week I got mythic (Multi/Mastery) shoulders from BH in my follower mission. Just wondering if I should use them and break 4-set or get the t17 chest off FB then use them or just shelve them until t18. Thanks.