Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If I could digress a bit here, why do you play assassination? Is sub not better for single target dps? I really like playing assassination but I've been hesitant since it might not perform as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    The log also shows that all you major damage spells had an up to 10% higher crit rate than the average 30% the simulation shows.
    Yep, aside from the increased damage thanks to 2pc set bonus this will effect actual dps even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosie345 View Post
    If I could digress a bit here, why do you play assassination? Is sub not better for single target dps? I really like playing assassination but I've been hesitant since it might not perform as well.
    That's a great question. In my guild, I have been consistently in the top 3 dps on most single target fights since BRF opened.

Here are two parses. The first is me as sub in 683 ilvl. I did 40,593.2 dps (4:35 kill time) The second is me as mut in 685 ilvl. I did 41061.7 dps (4:20 kill time).

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&view=rankings <---sub
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&view=rankings <---mut

I think the most interesting fact is that I ranked much better as mut (95 overall, 96 bracket) vs sub (90 historical* 79 overall, 81 bracket). Obviously, I seem to compare better to other mut rogues than I do to other sub rogues. It is also worth noting that my dps was relatively the same on a fairly similar fight length.

Most importantly, I'm still at or near the top of my guild's dps. On that mut parse, our guild's top hunter was unavailable, and he usually beats me on ST fights, but I was top dps by 5k dps (the other rogue was also mut).

At the end of the day, I swapped to mut because we are currently progressing on blackhand heroic, and we are quickly going into mythic BRF (and probably going back to clear out some more of mythic HM). As a mut rogue, I can pay attention to mechanics much more easily than I can as a sub rogue because the rotation is simpler. If I'm still pulling my weight (since I'm at the top of my guild's dps, I feel that I am pulling my weight), and I can stay alive better, then I'm comfortable as mut.
    Last edited by Athonel; 2015-04-09 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athonel View Post

I think the most interesting fact is that I ranked much better as mut (95 overall, 96 bracket) vs sub (90 historical* 79 overall, 81 bracket). Obviously, I seem to compare better to other mut rogues than I do to other sub rogues. It is also worth noting that my dps was relatively the same on a fairly similar fight length.
    Your going to parse better as Mut because the really good rogue players are using sub on Gruul, its like your giving yourself a rank handicap.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sub rotation kills me because of positional requirements. Even if I don't have to move at all I'm conscious of the requirements and it messes me up. And when I mess up I mess up more and more. I've got some kind of fear mental block with sub.
    As combat, I die WAY more than I'd like and almost all of the time its because bad killing spree (or bad tank positioning, but I can't help that).

He's right about Muti. You don't have to think about the rotation, and there's nothing that is difficult about it. I actually enjoy playing muti slightly more than combat and way more than sub, I just wish it was more viable. I Would imagine I would still be towards the top of my guild as muti, I just don't know if I want to make the cost commitment to switch gems/chants.

Deleted
    @Athonel: I always considered ranking well as Mut to be kind of like being the best player in the one-legged football team. You're comparing yourself to worse players than you would if you were Sub, since the majority of the good players are playing the better performing spec.

Pulling your weight isn't something that should be taken in comparison to the rest of the players in your raid. Pulling your weight should be the amount of damage you are doing in relation to the maximum potential of your class. As such, you will possibly never pull your weight as Mut (Unless on H&F), since you personally could be doing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Connectedl
    You're comparing yourself to worse players than you would if you were Sub, since the majority of the good players are playing the better performing spec.
    Comparing yourself to LESS players, who may or may not be worse. His higher rank is a function of relative sample size, not player skill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzdu View Post
    Comparing yourself to LESS players, who may or may not be worse. His higher rank is a function of relative sample size, not player skill.
    No, that's not it at all. He scored a higher percentile as Assassination, which is completely unrelated to the amount of people playing the spec.

The numerical amount of parses for any spec is irrelevant when speaking of percentiles.

It's easier to score a high percentile as Assassination because you wont compare yourself to the best rogues, you're comparing yourself to the ones who feel sub is too complex or not enjoyable, because that's the only reason to not play it.