2v2 - War / Rsham vs. Double Melee Burst

Hi All,

My warrior and rshaman team (i play the rshaman) are not quite fully geared to 660 level. We are averaging about 1600 rating, but are struggling immensely against double melee DPS (specifically anything that has a feral druid; ex: feral druid + DK, feral druid + rogue, feral druid + feral druid).

The normal entrance to this fight is for me to earth shield myself, when the druid jumps on me, I drop spirit link totem (especially if the druid uses his burst, which they always do right off the bat). I then save my trinket to get out of his 5 sec stun. I then spiritwalker's grace immediately to prevent nature lockout and heal myself. During this burst time i usually either die or end up healing to full and then dieing to lack of defensive CD. My warrior partner can't seem to burst down the feral during this time due to the amount of healing the feral does.

I'd really like to get some tips on how to deal with these double melee DPS teams. They are consistently an issue for us due to their burst damages.

I would save spirit walkers for a little bit. What is ur ilvl? It could very well just be a gear issue. Perhaps look up some guides to see if they have any information. Also, i think its a talent, but you should have 2 charges of spirit link totem. Use your capicator, at that rating they are too low to switch to it and kill it usually. If they trinket that, have your war get a full fear off.

Yup, usually I do capacitator totem. But as you said, they either kill it or trinket the stun. That fear may be the life-saver here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtere1 View Post
    Hi All,

My warrior and rshaman team (i play the rshaman) are not quite fully geared to 660 level. We are averaging about 1600 rating, but are struggling immensely against double melee DPS (specifically anything that has a feral druid; ex: feral druid + DK, feral druid + rogue, feral druid + feral druid).

The normal entrance to this fight is for me to earth shield myself, when the druid jumps on me, I drop spirit link totem (especially if the druid uses his burst, which they always do right off the bat). I then save my trinket to get out of his 5 sec stun. I then spiritwalker's grace immediately to prevent nature lockout and heal myself. During this burst time i usually either die or end up healing to full and then dieing to lack of defensive CD. My warrior partner can't seem to burst down the feral during this time due to the amount of healing the feral does.

I'd really like to get some tips on how to deal with these double melee DPS teams. They are consistently an issue for us due to their burst damages.
    If it's feral + DK, have the warrior charge DK right away from mount. If there's a non-stealther + rogue, circle the arena with warrior going first, perhaps AOEing / remounting once, and you going second, aiming to avoid contact until mass invis drops, then have warrior charge the non-stealther fast. With two stealthers, there's no other way than to keep yourself pre-healed with rain, etc, and for warrior to try and break out stealth from at least one direction and be fast with his CC - it's on DPS to save the shaman, shaman can't survive by himself in this scenario at all. In general, the idea is to pressure one of the DPS very hard very fast and survive whatever initial burst they would be able to muster (they should only have one chance to do it) by crippling it with CC.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, usually I do capacitator totem. But as you said, they either kill it or trinket the stun. That fear may be the life-saver here.
    Place capacitor behind the corner from them and use the glyph that reduces its arming time. That way if they follow you, they run into the totem, and if they don't follow you, you just widen the gap. You could also use totemic projection and place capacitor, say, behind them or in LoS where you don't go, then drop it on them, but that's more difficult.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-04-08 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't waste all your cds at once. Drop windwalk, unleash in ghost wolf and sprint behind pillar to heal up. Your warrior should focus on peeling for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    You could also use totemic projection and place capacitor, say, behind them or in LoS where you don't go, then drop it on them, but that's more difficult.
    Call of the elements is way too good to give up as resto. You would benefit a lot more from 2x windwalk/stream etc
    Last edited by Illiterate; 2015-04-08 at 04:15 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Capacitor totem is your BFF in situations like that. Anything you can do to burn time on their CDs. Drop it before they get to you, then port it in behind them or right under your partners feet. Make sure he knows to stand directly on it. They will have to try to manually target the totem with him in the way. Worst case, it might buy you a second or two, best case it detonates and eats 1/3 to 1/4 of their CD uptime. Unless they trink it in which case your Warrior can fear one or both of them off.

Of course this requires you to be positioned near your partner, assuming that he hasnt been feared off into a corner or something. If you are solo, you can try to drop it under yourself. But the object is to give them something other than you to target. Even if only for a second or two.

Use earth elemental reinforcement when you see the feral pop CDs. Maybe even use it preemptively because it lasts forever. Vigilance from warrior is also good and aligns with ferals damage CDs closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Call of the elements is way too good to give up as resto. You would benefit a lot more from 2x windwalk/stream etc
    Yes, I agree in general.

Be sure to run double stamina trinkets. Warrior should be shockwave against double melee, obviously, so he can get them both. Charge glyph that roots people nearby the target can be good. You need to be NG, Windwalk, double link, NS and Unleashed. Everyone just ignores roots these days, so root totem usually won't work well. Especially against ferals of course.

The main key is practice and synergy. As you play double melee again and again you'll get used to what you need to do to survive, and your warrior will learn what to do to keep you alive. Usually one of the keys is for him to do so much damage to them that they're put on the back foot and will need to run to heal or die. One tip for you is that sometimes it can be more important to dispell your warrior than to heal yourself. If he can get back on the target to root/stun it and deal massive damage to it, it'll save more of your HP than you managing to cast a regular healing surge.

Also, capacitor is useless unless the players are really bad :/

Quote Originally Posted by poloxx View Post
    Use earth elemental reinforcement when you see the feral pop CDs. Maybe even use it preemptively because it lasts forever. Vigilance from warrior is also good and aligns with ferals damage CDs closely.
    This reminds me: don't forget you have Pulverize (stun from earth ele).

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    This reminds me: don't forget you have Pulverize (stun from earth ele).
    Does this stop the cast of reinforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by poloxx View Post
    Does this stop the cast of reinforcement?
    I actually don't remember for sure, I think it does.

Wow... so i haven't pvp'ed since WoTLK. I had no idea that there were now two awesome spells linked to earth elemental. I was never dropping it in PVP because i assumed it did little damage for little benefit.

Wow... so i haven't pvp'ed since WoTLK. I had no idea that there were now two awesome spells linked to earth elemental. I was never dropping it in PVP because i assumed it did little damage for little benefit.
    It requires the talent Primal Elemantalist or something. I would use the glyph to increase totem health if you aren't using it already.

the biggest factor is on your warrior, first step is to intercept them, his goal is to make them use their cds (grip, charge, ect) to get to you, not stay on you. Then intervine/stun cds and/or give you cast windows. The rest is on you for positioning.