10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands

Sid Meier's Civilization

Civilization, the first video game I was introduced to, somewhere in the bushbush of Zimbabwe, long before internet was a thing (for me at least). It was Civ 2. I played all the civilizations series since then, with civilization 3 and 4 being my favs. Throughout the years, I don't think there ever were 2 months in which I didn't start up the game.

That changed with Civ beyond earth. I never was a fan of the idea of civilization in the future. I always played it for its swords and realistic history. However, I did buy it because I always liked the game so I expected I'd be able to adapt and like this one as well. However, I didn't. Not at all. I played it for maybe maximum 10 hours at launch and I haven't touched the game since then. The problem is I moved to a place where my internet is too shit to play online games. Normally I would turn to civ but since I don't like this version I end up being bored.

My question is, how is the new civilization received by its playerbase? And if you're a civplayer; do you like it? Wasn't the fact that civ was realistic and "true" history an important reason for you to like it?
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

I hate Beyond Earth.

I wasn't too impressed with Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth. It was entertaining, yes. But, in my honest opinion, not as good as Civ5's current state.

Things to consider though:
    - I do enjoy both the traditional evolutionary line - all the "realistic and true" history on my Civilization games; However I'm also a sucker for Sci-Fi. I can understand that, for someone who would greatly value a overly realistic setting over a futuristic sci-fi setting, Beyond Earth might not be that entertaining.

- I feel that Expansion Packs and Mods increase the value of these games HUGELY, (Namely, Civilization 5: Brave New World, among others). So I'm personally waiting to see what they have in store for us in the future.
    My best bet would be waiting a good while, wait for most, if not all, of the expansion packs to be released and only then purchase a "complete" Civilization game experience.

Beyond Earth felt sloppy. Some decent ideas thrown together with some CiV innovations with a new coat of paint. And, on launch, it felt untested. CiV launch untested.

Personally, though I'd prefer a more interesting/compelling end game and improved performance from the AI, I think CiV (G&Ks/BNW) is the best incarnation of the Civ series.

Beyond Earth is shit. The leaders are bland and without personality. All factions play exactly the same. The aliens are nothing more than glorified barbarians. The differences between the affinities are minor. Satellites are worthless. AI is still stupid and higher difficulty just means more ressources instead of actually playing better. There is no victory strategy you can pursue, you just take your affinity and follow it to the end. The implementation was sloppy: each and every tester must have noticed how much boring repetitive micro is needed for trade routes.

They just took Civ 5, threw a bunch of good stuff out and replaced it with mediocre stuff.

They say they did this to not alienate older civ players. Make of that what you will.
    LINK
    Last edited by Faldric; 2015-04-08 at 07:49 PM.

Alpha Centauri > Civ IV Beyond the Sword > Civ II > Civ V Brave New World > Civ III > Civ I > Beyond Earth
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I haven't got Beyond Earth, it looks like a very heavy mod for Civ V so I'm waiting until I see it at a low price before purchasing. Don't get me wrong, I do find the idea of replacing historical races and technologies with sci-fi tropes to be very intriguing, but it doesn't seem worth a high price-tag to me.

Out of interest OP, what's stopping you from firing up a previous version of Civ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I haven't got Beyond Earth, it looks like a very heavy mod for Civ V so I'm waiting until I see it at a low price before purchasing. Don't get me wrong, I do find the idea of replacing historical races and technologies with sci-fi tropes to be very intriguing, but it doesn't seem worth a high price-tag to me.

Out of interest OP, what's stopping you from firing up a previous version of Civ?
    Yeah I might reinstall Civ 5, but all the other just feel too old for me to play.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Alpha Centauri > Civ IV Beyond the Sword > Civ II > Civ V Brave New World > Civ III > Civ I > Beyond Earth
    Yep, SMAC is still the king of 4X games for me (MoO 2 is a close second). The largest map *was* huge and didn't feel laggy near end game. The random map generator didn't affect the outcome of games as much as most 4X games suffer from, and you can even terraform the land around you. Beyond Earth is a pale imitation.

And Civ 4 is still better than 5 for me, stack o' doom excepted.

I can't stand Beyond Earth/Civ V.

Played the heck out of III, and IV though.

Not very good at them, but i do love playing them.

Beyond Earth didn't seem to bring anything really now.

I might get it got $7 on a steam sale one day

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Civ BE is boring and lacks something really new.
    It should have been an expansion pack.
    Last edited by Lotus Victoria; 2015-05-07 at 12:36 PM. Reason: bad english ffs