Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I am not ignoring advice, I am being attacked for not implementing specific advice.

The only 100% buys were the cards and monitor, that i was going to get regardless, and stated as such repeatedly.
    I changed parts of my build from the advice in here, and have planned future expenses/changes on the same pieces of advice.

What i do not appreciate is being attacked and made to feel stupid for wanting TitanX cards, and i did not plan on having to justify myself so much.
    I gave reasons for my decisions, and was then berated for them.

To point out that anyone can spend $1750 in 2 years and make a better system is.... flawed.
    When my build is complete, it will blow everything out of the water for the next 2 years, as i continue to upgrade bits and pieces, add more RAM, maybe change the motherboard/CPU, buy pcie drives, put in some water cooling, and whatever else.

The majority of the advice that is in the $2k range are built around slower cards and 1440 monitors, which is exactly what i do not want, and have had my visual acuity called into question over the perceivable differences between 1440 and 4k resolutions, which are blatantly obvious to me as a retina display compared a CRT from 1990.

So, i am disparaged what not, and am told i am ignoring the advice i solicited.... which is not the case.

soo... at this point it seems that unless i build something with last-gen cards, and a 144hz light-brite i will be continued to be disparaged.
    do what you will, there have been people in this thread much more helpful than you, and yours.

good day.

15+ Year Old Account
    No one is attacking you, just asking you questions. I've asked in 2 tech pages that I belong to on Facebook with over 5k members each, dedicated to high end gaming modding and rigs. Each thread I made had 100% agree factor regarding your poor choice of air cooling. It's just absurd. I'm sorry, but it is. /shrug

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

An air cooler is an inexpensive solution that will work until i need/want a better one.
    Since i am not overclocking, it should be fine until i learn more about them and decide to do it myself.

I can benefit right now from more storage, you come across like i am never going to change anything in this ever, and that 5k is the only money i will ever devote to this project for the rest of my life...

I have immediate questions such as:
    "can graphics cards be water cooled"
    "if so, can they share the same cooling loop as the CPU or do they get their own loops"
    "are custom cooling loops better than pre-built"
    "can everything in the case share the same reservoir"
    "are there better cooling liquids than water" (anti-freeze?)

These are questions i have that fundamentally effect my decision to install a liquid cooling system on a bunch of super-expensive parts that i can not immediately replace if everything goes to hell and breaks before i get a chance to use them.

If i had all the experience in the world, and was infinitely confident in my ability and knowledge to install even the most basic cooling systems without fear of component failure, then i would probably have shifted priorities and got a smaller drive, a different case, cheaper RAM, i dunno... i could have shifted funds around to get a liquid cooling system if i wanted.

I have not discounted the obvious benefits of a liquid cooling system outright, just that i have not placed a priority on it since i have absolutely zero intentions to overclock my system right off the bat, and so the *need* for a liquid cooling system is not imperative to the function of the computer.

six months down the road , when i have another few hundred dollars, and birthdays and xmas are nearing, i can look forward to a nice speed boost to my system from a liquid cooling setup, that i will know a lot more about, and be more comfortable experimenting with.

15+ Year Old Account
    So why are you buying a 5 grand rig and not overclocking. My mind is literally pureed right now.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Because i do know know everything you know.

Because i will probably overclock it when i learn about cooling systems.

Because i would rather learn to bring this system up to its potential instead of paying someone else to do it from the get-go.

Because from what i read, a TitanX 2xSLI rig will run GTA5 at maximum settings at 4k res, at 60fps, and two 980's at 2xSLI wont.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if learning is such an important aspect for you and you admit that you don't know much about computers, then is it wise to buy a $5k system, which even very experienced people advise you not to buy? Why don't you start small, with a typical $2.5k high end system, and then add upgrades if you need? It's like you want everything the best and right now, even if you don't really understand the capabilities and limitations of the system you are getting. Again, it is your money, but, really, it doesn't seem reasonable to me, at all.

You say you want to play GTA5 at maximum settings at 4K. What if the settings are maximum, only 2-3 settings are second highest - will the gaming experience be much worse for you? Is it worth almost doubling the cost of your PC, just to be able to max out those shadows and sun shafts, with everything else unchanged?

The decision is yours, I just want you to really think on what you are getting and why, not just "I want everything the best". It is a very common mistake among people building their first configs, and they often end up spending way more money than they need to.
    Last edited by May90; 2015-04-21 at 06:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Usually for a gaming rig an i7 4790k is all you need. But with that kind of budget you imediately jump boat to more enthusiast builds, X99 platform and overclocking. Btw April-June we are supposed to see the new gtx980ti 8gb. So if you are not in a rush...

Anyway with current/available tec, this is what i would look at, modified your original list. That or you would go back to the 2-2.5k builds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($368.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($347.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($202.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($999.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($999.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($200.63 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Acer XB280HK 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($758.27 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma Wireless Laser Mouse ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $5027.21
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-21 02:31 EDT-0400
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-04-21 at 06:35 AM.

In my opinion 5k gaming machines are reserved for custom loop cooling and custom cases, 5k for just straight hardware is a waste of money since computer hardware changes every 6 months or so. It's looks like you have your mind set on this set up, I'm confused why you even asked for advice.

Deleted
    Yeah well, you need the hardware in the first place to place the custom loop on. You wanna do a 800bucks loop on 970s? And that assumes that you will overclock the heck out of it to justify the high custom water loop costs.

You don't need to spend 5k on hardware to justify a custom loop, in fact you can spend 3.5k on hardware and the rest on case modding and a custom loop. You still would be in pretty good shape with 4k gaming.

Deleted
    Don't waste your money. You can't game at 4K with current hardware. Its pretty much impossible to reach solid 60fps in newer Games. Better go for like a single 980 and save the money to upgrade again in like 1 year or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadley-II View Post
    Don't waste your money. You can't game at 4K with current hardware. Its pretty much impossible to reach solid 60fps in newer Games. Better go for like a single 980 and save the money to upgrade again in like 1 year or so.
    Wrong. You can play most newest games at 4K with solid 60 FPS - in fact, I do it on my single 980 GTX with zero problems.

The OP's mistake is exactly the opposite: he/she believes that one needs a $5k machine to game comfortably in 4K, whilst a $2k machine is more than enough for that, and a $3k machine is already quite an overkill and a waste, since in just 1 year config with the same performance will be 30% cheaper or so.

I still believe though that 4K on a 28" monitor doesn't make sense. It barely makes sense on my 50" TV, since, other than imperfections of anti-aliasing, the graphics seems to be almost as good to me as in the real world. And I have a perfect sight.
    Last edited by May90; 2015-04-21 at 10:40 AM.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Wrong. You can play most newest games at 4K with solid 60 FPS - in fact, I do it on my single 980 GTX with zero problems.

The OP's mistake is exactly the opposite: he/she believes that one needs a $5k machine to game comfortably in 4K, whilst a $2k machine is more than enough for that, and a $3k machine is already quite an overkill and a waste, since in just 1 year config with the same performance will be 30% cheaper or so.

I still believe though that 4K on a 28" monitor doesn't make sense. It barely makes sense on my 50" TV, since, other than imperfections of anti-aliasing, the graphics seems to be almost as good to me as in the real world. And I have a perfect sight.
    Look at the fucking benchmarks in this thread! I have a 980 too and you CAN'T!

Here is the rig I build this past month. I looked at the Titans but decided the cost vs. benefit was not worth it. Overall I am happy with the build and performance. Next will be to start the overclocking of cpu, gpu, and memory.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XWzsCJ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadley-II View Post
    Look at the fucking benchmarks in this thread! I have a 980 too and you CAN'T!
    On maximum settings - no, you can't. But you don't have to play on maximum settings, although most people nowadays for some reason think you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceling View Post
    I currently have one 970 with a 2500K on a 40 inch 4k monitor.

The framerates are decent with everything set to ultra, but with AA turned off. Funny thing about AA is it is hard to notice a difference whether it is on or off at 4K.

My frame rates are generally 55FPS+. The lowest fps is around 40-45 on occasion.
    Wow, dat necro...

For that much dough you should pay someone to custom solder a Devils canyon chip. They get very hot