Thread: Brits and toast

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Toast is pretty good
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    •1 pound (2 to 2 1/4 cups) dry white beans such as Navy beans or Great Northern beans (can also use kidney beans)
    •1/3 cup molasses
    •1/3 cup brown sugar
    •3-4 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    •1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    •3 cups hot water
    •1/2 pound salt pork (can sub bacon), cut into 1/2-inch to 1-inch pieces
    •1 medium onion, (1 1/2 cups) chopped

These are Boston baked. I'm guessing British baked have none of the molasses or brown sugar. Man, I could go for some Boston baked beans right now.
    They have a lot of sugar. At least our most popular beans do anyway, Heinz, which is an American company I think.

Eating that much bread is unhealthy, this is probably why most of people I've seen in London suffer from overweighting, especially girls. I recently visited Paris and thought why do they eat even more bread than people in London yet are much more fit, then I paid attention to runners on the street. Whole France runs from time to time, it allows them to stay healthy despite eating so much bread.

Deleted
    I love me some nice toast on toast, with a bit of buttered toast on the side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megraam View Post
    Eating that much bread is unhealthy, this is probably why most of people I've seen in London suffer from overweighting, especially girls. I recently visited Paris and thought why do they eat even more bread than people in London yet are much more fit, then I paid attention to runners on the street. Whole France runs from time to time, it allows them to stay healthy despite eating so much bread.
    I would have thought it was more to do with the amount of alcohol drunk, rather than bread eaten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Megraam View Post
    I eat bread for breakfast every morning, sometimes toasted. I've yet to gain weight due to that.

I like toast with peanut butter and bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I like toast with peanut butter and bacon.
    That is both disgusting and delicious. It's on the bucket list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Heinz, which is an American company I think.
    Heinz is big into ketchup over here.

I really like peanut butter on toast. The heat from the toast melts the peanut butter a bit and gives it a better flavor.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

As a Brit I can confirm toast is over-rated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    I eat bread for breakfast every morning, sometimes toasted. I've yet to gain weight due to that.
    It's this silly thing where people tell you to watch out for the fattening dark bread, fruit, whole milk and cheese.

Yeah, it contains fats and sugar, but you're not fat because of your fruit consumption or love of wholegrain bread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I toured Britain and Scotland last year, basically doing the standard tourist circuit about the famous locales (London, Stonehenge, Bath, Edinburgh, York, Stratford, etc.) - but one thing I noticed in the various inns and hotels that we stayed out is that the British are serious about their breakfast. It always seemed to be an event, and practically a smorgasbord, of all the breakfast items you could imagine as an American (and a few I couldn't). There were eggs of all varieties: poached, smoked, boiled, braised, Benedict, and Scotch. Meats I recognized and some I didn't, sausages of all types, and Edinburgh I had some kind of smoked meat over eggs that looked horrid but was actually delicious (I didn't get a chance to find out what it was called). Of course there was toast largely featured in every breakfast meal - and I think my favorite was egg in the basket, which was an egg hard-fried into a piece of buttered toast. All in all, they seemed to treat their breakfast like Americans do their dinner.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I do love toast, but there's something much more magical about bacon.

Bacon.......
    Could it be....
    Protein vs. carbos?!

Deleted
    Just to clarify, under NO circumstances does toast go with a Full English, that's the job of a fried slice.

If we wanted to eat healthily we wouldn't be eating a full bloody English in the first place.
    Everyone listen to this man. This man knows his shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Could it be....
    Protein vs. carbos?!
    Why fight when you can join the two in a bacon and toast sandwich? Throw some egg in there too if you like, though bacon and toast is sufficient for me.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    People in Paris walk just about everywhere. That's why they're slimmer.
    Yeah, their tube isn't packed at all. And walking around myself I see a runner each 10 minutes at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Really? Maybe you have a good methabolism or you work out (or it's being reflected in fat ratio): what's your bodyfat percent?

I would have thought it was more to do with the amount of alcohol drunk, rather than bread eaten.
    Yeah, pubs are full from 1 pm but this is something I am used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    All in all, they seemed to treat their breakfast like Americans do their dinner.
    That's more a hotel thing than an all the time thing. When staying in a hotel everyone goes all out on breakfast foods, but everyday breakfasts are more like cereal, possibly porridge, or a bacon sandwich or something along those lines.

EDIT: not forgetting that all of these can be accompanied by toast. With marmalade.....mmmmmmmm

Let's be clear: when we say "toast, peanut butter and bacon," we're talking about crispy American fat back and not the meatier bacon they get elsewhere, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    Let's be clear: when we say "toast, peanut butter and bacon," we're talking about crispy American fat back and not the meatier bacon they get elsewhere, right?
    American bacon is master bacon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    That's more a hotel thing than an all the time thing. When staying in a hotel everyone goes all out on breakfast foods, but everyday breakfasts are more like cereal, possibly porridge, or a bacon sandwich or something along those lines.

EDIT: not forgetting that all of these can be accompanied by toast. With marmalade.....mmmmmmmm
    I figured it wouldn't be the repast of everyday people, if only for the fact that you couldn't survive it for long if it were. I was just taken aback at how much seemed to go into it comparatively. People make a lot out of the fabled Southern breakfasts you'd have in America, but I think the UK has us beat when it comes to breakfast variety, toast included.