Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anybody else too scared to play with others?

New to this type of game, I tried LoL long ago. It did not go well, seem to be doing better with HoS but I tend to prefer to play against bots. Anybody else nervous about playing with other human beings?

I've been playing unranked matches with and against other players and am not afriad. Why? Because no one will judge me, much less speak out about it.

HotS isn't like LoL or DotA; alot of toxicity festering elements have been removed like cross team chat and feeding mechanics; unlike LoL and DotA, you can't lose if one guy failed, but if the whole team failed. HotS matches are also alot shorter (and the gameplay simplified) , meaning a loss is only a 15 minte deal, not the usual whole half hour to 40 minute deal. And from what I've seen, recoveries are entirely possiblw. Just because you screwed up at start doesn't mean you've lost. I've seen at least a ouple recoveries from near defeat situations that ended in triumph.

In short; no, because I have nothing to fear. True - this may be because we are in beta, but at least we can turn off chat completely when that one guy - if he ever does - starts going beserk about your skills.

Normally I would say just go for it since you will be matched with people around your own skill level anyway, so no matter how bad or good you are you will get fair matches, but HoTs matchmaking is a complete joke and you will absolutely get matched with people and premades of much higher (and lower) skill level than your own, leading to very unbalanced and often toxic matches.

I wasn't, I got the beta a little while ago, played a couple games against the comp, decided to try one against people.
    One dude on my team raged at me, called me a bunch of names, and then told everyone else to report me for something (!?!)
    So I'm level 24 now, haven't played against people since then.

My only concern when playing with random people is, when my team matches up and we get a Lili, a brightwing and a murky on one team versus an actual functioning team. You know its a loss 90% of the time just from that screen.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    I wasn't, I got the beta a little while ago, played a couple games against the comp, decided to try one against people.
    One dude on my team raged at me, called me a bunch of names, and then told everyone else to report me for something (!?!)
    So I'm level 24 now, haven't played against people since then.
    Best thing you can do in that situation is just mute them immediately. If your team are telling you what you should be doing that's one thing, but as soon as they start raging it'll just distract you and make you play even worse. Mute ftw.

me too, but for me its more like playing against them than with them, because i dont want to lose and i get way too excited against other people. and when i win i get such a rush from it that i cant keep playing :B

yeah i suck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vilememory View Post
    New to this type of game, I tried LoL long ago. It did not go well, seem to be doing better with HoS but I tend to prefer to play against bots. Anybody else nervous about playing with other human beings?
    I have ONE question for you: when you turn off your computer do you think about your failures in game and how the other players judge you for it? DON'T. You'll never see them again.

10+ Year Old Account
    No this game is very easy to get into, also there are heroes guides on there on sites like heroesfire that layout the pro's and con's of every hero.

Just for the love of god, when someone tells you something that you are doing wrong consider it and don't be an ostrich and keep playing as you are. I would also say not being too familiar with other moba's you aren't in a disadvantage, i've seen many people play rather badly due to sticking to their LoL habits. Like people solo laning all game long pushing one lane while all the rest falls around them.

I would recommend moving away from bot games ASAP. You learn bad habits and talent builds that work great against mindless bots but are useless against actual players. Just queue up for a few games, try to stick with your team and ignore raging players in chat. You will be matched with other newer players most of the time, so it shouldn't be that bad.

When they rage they care, and when they care they're weak! Laugh at these ragers, drink their tears and grow stronger!

Throw aside your MOBA pretenses. While HotS does occasionally have a loudmouthed douchebag, it's so much less common than other games due to how obviously team-oriented it is. If you know objectives and know how to work with a team, people will rarely if ever attack you like in LoL.

Hold tab.

Click the baloon on the far right on the screen.

It'll mute that person: you won't see anything they write.

Do that to anyone who's being annoying, enjoy your game.

Deleted
    My problem is that I get extremely angry with myself at every perceived mistake I make (I've huge expectations of myself apparently) when I know others rely on me. So I play co op where it matters very poorly, but at the same time I'm in this catch 22 where I never really improve to satisfy those expectations

I'm weird

It's something you just stop caring about eventually. I care more about how badly I'm doing myself rather than what some random person thinks about it.

After randoming in Dota over and over again with other players, I just stopped caring.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not nervous on Quick Match solo or in a team... Didn't played ranked yet (I will not go there without a team :P)

But, on Starcraft 2, I can't play online at all. Get nervous, fast heartbeat.... it's ugly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happened a lot to me at first. But as soon that you realize that you can ignore your teammates, everything is better. You have options now to turn off the chat, which should allow you to play the way you think the game is meant to be played and learn on the way without having others constantly yelling at you

10+ Year Old Account
    No I just don't trust those who's process I don't know or trust.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by StaeleAilar View Post
    My only concern when playing with random people is, when my team matches up and we get a Lili, a brightwing and a murky on one team versus an actual functioning team. You know its a loss 90% of the time just from that screen.
    Pretty much this or even if you have a partially functioning team comp people just don't show up at objectives for team fights. They sit in their lane and push, then are so far forward in their lane that after taking the objective due to the lack of your own teams presence the enemy team runs between the lanes and mop up all the remaining players who somehow don't see it coming. The only thing for it is to keep playing and pray, but man it's getting hard to justify playing this over starcraft. At least it's my own fault I suck at starcraft.

OT; There are plenty of people that feel the way you do, most of them couldn't even admit it. The best you can do is force yourself to do a few games with players over time and get more used to it. Read a bit of strategies, watch some videos of guides or just a couple tournament games to get a vague grasp on how to play. Playing very poorly just makes you an easy target for harassment and blame (even blaming yourself) but it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to play well enough that you should feel alright about your own play. At the same time it should allow you to shrug off other peoples rage because you know you don't play nearly as bad as the rager wants to pretend. (By far and large the raging people are the worst players on my team)

I typically enjoy PvP games but for some reason I've stayed away from Quick Match and only play Co-op. Maybe I haven't played the game long enough yet so I don't feel the need for PvP challenge. I also feel like the LFG interface and lobby chat in general is lacking, which could be keeping me away.