Page 1 of 30
... LastLast

Gender Neutral Restrooms

The white house opened it's first "Gender Neutral" bathroom. What is the point of this? I am confused.

Here is the sign:

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're confused, you should probably use this restroom.

No really I don't see how it is confusing at all. It's pretty clear-cut on exactly what it is for.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If you're confused, you should probably use this restroom.

No really I don't see how it is confusing at all. It's pretty clear-cut on exactly what it is for.
    There are reasons why men and women don't share the same restroom at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's for women, dudes, and superheroes.

It's pretty clear-cut on exactly what it is for.
    They're just a safe haven for sexual predators. Obviously.
    /s

From a pure efficiency standpoint, it seems like a pretty obvious implementation.

People's bizarre fears about bathroom rape are... well, just bizarre.

How long until some woman claims a man exposed himself or tried to assault her?
    In a secured and monitored place like the White House it might take awhile, but in everyday life?

7+ Year Old Account
    very not needed in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    There are reasons why men and women don't share the same restroom at the same time.
    If a person has a problem with staring and/ or sexual assault in a bathroom, a sign isn't going to stop them.

Is this a new thing? I've seen countless unisex bathrooms. Mostly in bars tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps it is a single-use restroom?

That reason is what, exactly? That a man is going to rape a woman? That he might see her nudie bits? What reason is there for even having separate bathrooms aside from the sexist, irrational thought that if men and women are in close proximity while partially naked, rape will happen?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    From a pure efficiency standpoint, it seems like a pretty obvious implementation.

People's bizarre fears about bathroom rape are... well, just bizarre.
    There are sick people out there. Young girls and older men in the same restroom, forget rape there are a bunch of other things that can happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps it is a single-use restroom?

That reason is what, exactly? That a man is going to rape a woman? That he might see her nudie bits? What reason is there for even having separate bathrooms aside from the sexist, irrational thought that if men and women are in close proximity while partially naked, rape will happen?
    If it's a single use restroom then that's fine, what's wrong with unisex then?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbear View Post
    It's for women, dudes, and superheroes.
    If you try hard enough the left most figure looks like superman.

Any bathroom that's designed for a single occupant at any one time is already de facto gender neutral. Any that's designed for multiple occupants has no business being gender neutral.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a single use restroom then that's fine, what's wrong with unisex then?
    *shrug* who cares? The end result is the same. Seems like crying foul over nothing. They could put no sign on it and just have it say "Bathroom" if it is single-use, no gendered signs needed. Perhaps they chose to do so for clarity purposes, or just that extra warm fuzzy feeling of inclusiveness.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Any bathroom that's designed for a single occupant at any one time is already de facto gender neutral. Any that's designed for multiple occupants has no business being gender neutral.
    Why.

The only reason that's been given "why" is "old men with young women is a recipe for disaster!" which.. is hilarious considering it's coming from a guy who cries foul over men being accused of things.

There are sick people out there. Young girls and older men in the same restroom, forget rape there are a bunch of other things that can happen.
    Had guys in the mens restroom try to look over or under a stall, or put there eyes up to the gap in the door

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If you're transgender, just go into the bathroom as the gender you changed to.
    Would that the world be so kind as to simply let this happen, but alas it is not that simple.

What if they're pre-op? Pre-therapy? If the people in the bathroom act out because of it?

I guess it's a restroom where dudes who don't want to be dudes get to go on women's bathrooms, and vice versa.

I hope they still also have "standard" restrooms. I can imagine that a lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Would that the world be so kind as to simply let this happen, but alas it is not that simple.

What if they're pre-op? Pre-therapy? If the people in the bathroom act out because of it?
    That's illegal in the U.K and classified as a hate crime.

No idea about other parts of the world and indeed the U.S.

But in the U.K our bathrooms are technically all gender neutral the designation is simply there as a guide.

Even in gyms (My one specifically) they allow pre-op trans people into their identified changing/ shower rooms.