Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I bought this PC from Microcenter, preassembled. How much $$ did I lose? Thoughts?

Hey everyone,

so a few months ago I decided to buy a new gaming computer. Since I know nothing about building my own and didn't want to go through the hassle, I decided to buy one premade. I paid $1750 for this.

Here's the specs (sorry if incorrect terminology is used, I hope you understand it):
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Number of Cores: 8

Video Card 1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    Chipset GeForce GTX 760
    Dedicated Memory 2.1 GB
    Total Memory 3.9 GB

Video Card 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    Chipset GeForce GTX 760
    Dedicated Memory 2.1 GB
    Total Memory 3.9 GB

RAM: 16 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    Edition: Professional

Hard Drive 1
    Size 1.8 TB
    Hard Drive 2 (SSD)
    Size 110.9 GB

Given this information, how much more do you think I could've saved building this myself? Any other thoughts? I am wondering down the line, when I need a new computer, if I should really invest the time to learn how to build my own PC, or do this same process again.
    Last edited by Helgrimm; 2015-04-12 at 12:13 PM.

I said 500$ and wrote a lot but then i noticed its SLI hence the price wasnt so bad.

CPU:330$
    Motherboard: I cant know, lets assume anywhere from 100 to 150$ if the builder wasnt scamming you with a H81..but i dont think H81 SLI's, dont remember now.
    GPU: Those can be from 450 to 700$ depending which model, when you bought it, and where.
    RAM: Easy 150$+
    HDD:2TB is around 80$ i think?
    SSD: Easy 70-90$

Assuming the case isnt a pile of shit and the PSU isnt a pile of shit too, following the old price of 760 4GB then you werent scammed off much, probably about 200$.

Unless those are 2GB ones and your system reader reads the 2 at "3.9" dedicated memory..therefor you were scammed for 400$+ indeed.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-04-12 at 12:20 PM.

You bought a pre-built PC, of course you got screwed over royally!

I'd say by a good $500 they took you for!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    haha really? 500? That seems really cheap; I mean it runs every game I have on ultra settings, 500 seems like a steal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
    You bought a pre-built PC, of course you got screwed over royally!

I'd say by a good $500 they took you for!
    That sounds more like what I was thinking =P

Deleted
    It's around $400, dependent on two things:

1) the make and model of the GTX760s (Which are between US$250 and US$300);
    2) the brand of case and PSU. IF they're cheapass things, such as Logisys PSU and a low-end Enermax case, then you push it to around $500. Which is more than some companies on pre-builts, and less than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    1750, or 1750 + Labor and Shipping?

I'd say about 500.

I imagine the 760's were 250 each, since you can't even really buy those anymore. For the same price, you could have gotten a 980.

Cheapass power supply, probably.

Dunno why you might need an i7, not stated. Or 16gb ram. And Win 8 Pro is a waste (over normal). All that on a dinky SSD.

For the same price or cheaper, you could have gotten better.

But.. why are you asking how much you got hauled for, if apparently throwing $500 in the trash is no big deal for you? ...honestly just sounds like you're bragging about how money isn't an object to you, and if it's not, why do you care how much you wasted?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Microcenter only charges $129 to build custom machines. I see it on one of their signs every time I'm there.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I only charge $99 to build. Ship those components my way.

Most people seem to be omitting the cost of the windows licence. That's a good $100-$150 you need to factor in.

If you look up all the computer parts on newegg.com + shipping + windows, you did not lose anything ( most people forget about the computer cases and power supply )

if some parts go bad, you would have to ship it back and it is just not worth the time. I have a nice pre-build rig here with a warranty, mother board went bad so i had an Indian guy the next day at 9 am knocking on my door.

Time is money friend

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Most people seem to be omitting the cost of the windows licence. That's a good $100-$150 you need to factor in.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagamuti View Post
    If you look up all the computer parts on newegg.com + shipping + windows, you did not lose anything ( most people forget about the computer cases and power supply )
    I parted out the entire setup and came out to about 1300 without 'labor'.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    SSD make/model can make a big difference. You don't want some crappy model that can't even saturate SATAIII.
    Smaller SSD is completely fine to hold Windows and apps and games with files stored on HDD. That size isn't an issue.

Windows 7 on a new PC is a major failure. Windows-8.1-update-1-with-Start-button-app is truly the best OS ever. However you will soon get free Win10 so whatever OS was cheaper is a good deal.

2x GTX 760s probably a bad idea instead of 1x 980. One card is always better than SLI if performance and price are similar.

Not sure you need 16GB of RAM if you don't even know enough to explain the computer components. I am not being condescending, but if you needed 16GB of RAM it would be for a specific reason.

CPU cooler? You have an unlocked 4770k, are you going to overclock? 4770k was a waste when 4790k is out, if you really even need the HT in an i7. You say gaming computer, but you game with an i5 not an i7. If you aren't going to overclock, get a non-K part.

PSU? Is it at least 80+ Gold or Platinum?

I'm just disappointed. You have an oddly outdated, misconfigured machine for something that new and expensive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MhBqyc

Something I threw together in 30 seconds off PC PartPicker. Current components, water cooled, GTX-980.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gpKgs

Go with 8GB of RAM and an i5, and you can pay someone to build it and still come out ahead.
    Last edited by krognam; 2015-04-15 at 12:54 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R