Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post
    Well for one you are born straight and you CHOOSE to be gay.
    Really? Because I knew a kid in high school who chose to be straight. He was gay and he didn't want to be gay. He dated several girls and by his senior year he gave up, because despite choosing to be straight, he could not change himself.

It is NOT a choice.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nrichardson View Post
    As someone who is gay, I find most of what they said to be fair. Str8 people NEVER get asked stupid questions like we do and it's so obnoxious. I don't know how anything they said would be "offensive" or "prejudice", they're being honest.

I don't even know where to start with you. You're clearly just a homophobe who thinks its okay to say the crap you said because of the fact you threw in the "I don't mind gay people.."
    Is homophobia a choice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Here's what I think:
    LET PEOPLE BE PEOPLE. No matter if they're gay, straight, black, whatever the fucking fuck. It's none of your fucking business. As long as it doesn't personally affect you: why care?
    BINGO

I don't care who you marry or who you fuck. It's your decision, your life, not mine. I'm not going to judge you for it, or deny you rights over it, so long as your activities don't effect me, which they don't.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    "Stop with the stereotypes omg. Oh, btw, why are you so "*insert stereotype*?"

Where's bullshit man when you need him?

Sounds like gay first world problems. I can see why they would be annoyed at these things, but the problems are pretty inconsequential.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Is homophobia a choice?
    Yes it is. Why do you care if someone is gay? In what form does it affect you? Same thing with being racist. How does your skin color affect you? These things can't be changed. So just accept people are different and move on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, every gay man I've ever known save one has come on to me, always extremely overtly and one case where one tried to assault me. Even after all that, I still don't think automatically that every gay guy wants the Beery, I just stay away from gays in general now. Why bother? They don't have a good track record with me. I don't think you're into me, I just think that once you get to know me better, you will be, for whatever reason, and never have they shown me the same respect that I give to lesbians I'm attracted to. Y'know, not hitting on them because you know they're not into you to begin with and actually valuing a friendship more than a 1% chance of a hopeful mistake you can make with someone who'll probably later regret it anyway.

Having said that about that, this was condescending and full of stereotyping. Most straight people are fine with gays. They're acting like it's 1960 or something. Don't lump everyone of a type together just because a few of them you know ask stupid questions and say stupid shit.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No problem with gay people (have 3 in the family), but stuff like this just separates them more and starts tension between gays and straights. We don't need to be separate. You're human. I'm human. We both have sex.
    Odd... I didn't feel anything. LAWL JK

But yeah I agree. Shit like this is just divisive. Not to mention it's a bunch of ignorant BS. Like if that's the kinds of stupid questions the straight people around you ask, maybe you should hang around different straight people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is. Why do you care if someone is gay? In what form does it affect you? Same thing with being racist. How does your skin color affect you? These things can't be changed. So just accept people are different and move on.
    I wouldn't say homophobia is a choice, more that the actions colored by homophobia are choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post
    Well for one you are born straight and you CHOOSE to be gay.

Two we are made in a way so the penis fits into the vagina and you make a baby to continue the population. Its called science or nature not "being straight".

Also don't dress like a guy if you don't want the question "whos the guy?"

I dont mind gay people but those women in that video need a stiff dick and the guys a stiff punch.
    Come on, babeh, whole lotta derpin goin on!

I was pretty neutral on the video. I have my reasons why. Though it felt very... aggressive. I get it homosexuals are bashed constantly and 'kept' down. The things like 'lifestyle' and 'having a kid' felt like stuff that was big in say the 90s, but not anymore. We all know how homosexuals have kids and we all know it's not a lifestyle. Don't get me wrong I get what the point of the video was. They're trying to point out how homosexuals automatically have a spotlight on them and they get bombarded with dumb questions. But do people really ask them these questions? I've done some questionable things fashion wise on a guy (would be normal on a woman) and no one ever asked me if I was gay or anything else really. Maybe I was lucky I don't know.

Edit: Their comment about divorce rates is actually something that's tied into a bunch of factors. The stigma of divorce being the top factor for why divorce rates shot up after the 1940s. Yes divorce rates for homosexual couples is way lower, but the data on that is also fairly new considering many places in the USA at least don't recognize their unions.

These issues would go away if people would just treat people like people. Instead of being so hell bent on changing people and converting people humanity as a whole just needs to shut up, take a step back, and look at themselves. And that goes for all groups of people, but I know that a day like that will never come.
    Last edited by Spraxle; 2015-04-12 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    I was pretty neutral on the video. I have my reasons why. Though it felt very... aggressive. I get it homosexuals are bashed constantly and 'kept' down. The things like 'lifestyle' and 'having a kid' felt like stuff that was big in say the 90s, but not anymore. We all know how homosexuals have kids and we all know it's not a lifestyle. Don't get me wrong I get what the point of the video was. They're trying to point out how homosexuals automatically have a spotlight on them and they get bombarded with dumb questions. But do people really ask them these questions? I've done some questionable things fashion wise on a guy (would be normal on a woman) and no one ever asked me if I was gay or anything else really. Maybe I was lucky I don't know.
    I can honestly tell you I've experienced all of those and then some. You'd think in this day and age you wouldn't have to deal with shit like this but trust me, it's still out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beery Swine View Post
    Okay, every gay man I've ever known save one has come on to me, always extremely overtly and one case where one tried to assault me. Even after all that, I still don't think automatically that every gay guy wants the Beery, I just stay away from gays in general now. Why bother? They don't have a good track record with me. I don't think you're into me, I just think that once you get to know me better, you will be, for whatever reason, and never have they shown me the same respect that I give to lesbians I'm attracted to. Y'know, not hitting on them because you know they're not into you to begin with and actually valuing a friendship more than a 1% chance of a hopeful mistake you can make with someone who'll probably later regret it anyway.
    Sorry you've had to deal with such shitty people. No one should be disrespected like that. But you shouldnt avoid every single gay person because of a few bad experiences. Can't let one rotten apple spoil the bunch. And you even said there was one who didn't disrespect you so clearly there are people out there who are kind. You just have to keep an open mind.

Deleted
    What is there to have an opinion on? They're just things gay people tend to encounter or hear a lot that don't really make much sense. I have different coloured eyes, do you have any idea how many people say to me"You've got different coloured eyes!"? A lot. It's a silly statement because I'm already aware of it, doesn't mean I'm really bothered by it.

people are not robots
    people are not all the same
    people cannot see another's perspective
    people would rather spend time continuing in their habits than seeking another way

I wouldn't say it's offensive; it's also not funny or particularly informative.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry you've had to deal with such shitty people. No one should be disrespected like that. But you shouldnt avoid every single gay person because of a few bad experiences. Can't let one rotten apple spoil the bunch. And you even said there was one who didn't disrespect you so clearly there are people out there who are kind. You just have to keep an open mind.
    Well, in my particular situation anyway, I don't come into contact with any non-straights to begin with. Its very ghetto here. Also, the chances of me really getting along well with anyone I come across, regardless of religion, race, sexuality, gender identity or nationality, are almost nil, but I do realize that I need other people. "Stay away" was probably too strong a phrase, I'll admit, its probably closer to "I am wary".

I'm neutral about it, some of the questions they brought up were similar to the ones I was asked when I came out as bisexual. There's many videos like this on the internet like "9-10 Questions X religion has for X" "9-10 Questions Gamers have for X" ect. Like all of those videos it's just a list of the most common questions they experienced.. pointed at straight people. A way to say "Hey stop asking us this, it's annoying."? They're kind of just following a trend is all.

If I was them I'd use the good old "How do you know you're gay if you haven't slept with [inset opposite gender here]?!" question. :P

Uh, I am kinda confused as to who the target audience is for these "questions". As it seems highly unlikely a pithy and snarky youtube is making ripples among social segments that are stridently homophobic. Where as most young people attracted to such a video are very likely sympathetic to the message and others indifferent.

Like is "Why do you call it a gay wedding?" a pointed and searing question that would make a person question their world view?

I WOULD say a "Black wedding", a "Greek wedding", a "Gay wedding", etc. Because it specifically lets the audience know the type of wedding I went to that weekend. There isn't an implicit negative connotation in this phrasing except in the mind of audience. Again, how would this questioning change or influence the thoughts of the homophobic and not be eye-rolly to the otherwise sympathetic and indifferent?

It's just kinda juvenile. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Some gay people are douchebags like some straight people are douchebags. Making broad generalizations about the way another group of people think is an awesome way to fall into that category.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that gay people are annoyed by these types of questions, but why not try to make it a teachable moment? Maybe these people aren't all stupid, but honestly ignorant of gay people and genuinely curious. Getting all pissy about these types of questions if they are seriously open minded and curious, is only going to turn people off to being 'gay friendly'.