Photoshop CS6 Extrusion - Help needed

I'm trying to make a banner for youtube and trying to make some text 3d. when I try to extrude it however, it distorts.

I have the letter "M" merged into another letter and what's left looks like the letter "N." I'm also having the same problem if I try to do each individual layer or meging them and trying that. Not sure if the font I'm using doesn't work right when trying to make it 3D but the selection is sharp anyways.

Picture of before and after Extrusion:
    http://imgur.com/x6qEFmw

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Hagendaz; 2015-04-13 at 02:25 AM.

Is that the entire picture it would help if you could post up the two letters your trying to merge. Some letters don't play well when merged. Some fonts don't do well 3d either.

http://i.imgur.com/FH5NADO.png

I created the letters with the font and moved them closer together, they're no longer able to be edited as I've modified the letters themselves. That said I'm surprised that making them 3D doesn't abide by their shape. Hope that image helps.

How they are overlapping there is the problem, each letter will warp on its own and follow the form of the letter as each will.
    I would try regular , bevel and extrusion with free transform to see if that will give you the 3d look with less headache. If not do each letter on its own and tweak them to fit each other. Doing this in illustrator is much easier being vector based. Bit maps don't like 3 unfortunately.

When you make the selection of the layer they're their own piece if that makes any sense. Like I cut them away from the other pieces (not sure how well that shows up in the picture I last linked) I've also had them separate and merged and the outcome with the N part of the M and the right leg of the A aren't extruding correctly. I just recently read maybe I need to really size it up when I make the text initially that was it has better resolution and can size it down afterwards. Not sure how that'll work but I'm in the process of doing it.

The 3d tool in Photoshop is a bit weird it either works well or doesn't. I try to avoid using it if I can. Even if you cut the letter off the 3d tool will still shape it like its all there, that's one of the issues with it not working decent. The other could be the font used, I noticed it is very sharp on the edges which can do weird things in the 3d tool. The 3d tool was introduced to make animations more than anything. If you still have issues with it. Do try the extrude,bevel, free transform method. I use it instead of the 3d tool. If tweaked and played with, it can achieve the same effect without the grief. As for sizing the text up and down be careful how much you scale it. Bitmap text has issues with scaling too much and too little especially with filters on it. Also try to up the anti aliasing to max if you can.
    Last edited by dahlt; 2015-04-13 at 06:09 AM.